XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Decided it's time for the Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 01:05 PM
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Decided it's time for the Exhaust Upgrade

So after reading for several weeks on different directions people have gone with their XKR's exhaust, I've almost got my mind made up on what direction I'm gonna go. The only thing I haven't made up my mind about is which high flow cats I am going to run. Both sets that I am looking at are 300 cell cats, which the main difference mostly being price, and one set being Jaguar specific which I like. One good thing the PYPES cats have over the magnum, is the fact they are made of a metallic material on the inside which is supposed to be designed more for forced induction applications. So I'm torn on which direction to go.

https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/deta...ion/jaguar/xkr
or
https://www.rpmoutlet.com/1986-2014-...-substrate.htm (these are universal not Jag specific as you can see)

I'll be running one of these, removing resonator, adding an X-pipe towards the back, and keeping stock muffler setup with fuse 19 pulled. Has anyone had any experience with either of these style cats, or any advice on which may be the best direction to go? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Don't forget to take before and after videos so we can compare sounds. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Don't forget to take before and after videos so we can compare sounds. Thanks!

Yes sir, I most definitely will. We need as many of these comparison videos as possible. They are hard to come by lol.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:26 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Keep in mind you need to tune the ECU properly for the high flow or decat. Otherwise you will loose power down low and set a check engine light as well.
Also from my own experience h,f cats that I bought lasted less than 7500 miles before they melted , so quality of aftermarket units is in question. And yes the ones I bought were metallic inside
If you're looking for sound only he should just remove the silencers or change the rear box.

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph

Last edited by AlexJag; 05-06-2020 at 04:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexJag:
George05 (05-07-2020), peterv8 (05-07-2020), Stuart S (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 04:34 PM

My cats are bad and already throwing codes, so instead of replacing with stock oem cats, I've opted to put some high flow cats on instead. Basically trying to fix the current issue, whilst improving sound as well.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:40 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by EnRoute30
My cats are bad and already throwing codes, so instead of replacing with stock oem cats, I've opted to put some high flow cats on instead. Basically trying to fix the current issue, whilst improving sound as well.
I hear you, but you must address the issues above that I mentioned if you want to run with decat or high flows.
I can help with the tuning

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph
Old 05-06-2020, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJag
I hear you, but you must address the issues above that I mentioned if you want to run with decat or high flows.
I can help with the tuning
Once I get it all installed, and see if I have any issues with CEL's/power loss, I will definitely appreciated the help with the tune. Hopefully whichever cats I go with won't melt on me too. Surely that can't be a common issue with a lot of high flow cats on these cars.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:59 PM
Sponsor

Once I get it all installed, and see if I have any issues with CEL's/power loss, I will definitely appreciated the help with the tune. Hopefully whichever cats I go with won't melt on me too. Surely that can't be a common issue with a lot of high flow cats on these cars.
There's not that many of these cars that are running with high-flow cats , just of top of my head I know another guy had with a Jag with high flow cats and they have melted just like mine did. Google issues on running with aftermarket high flows, tons have melted. That's why I'm running catless. A tune btw can be done for performance not just cat cel removal power loss . I'm At near 100 gain to the crank on a 4.2 car ,5.0 has even higher potential tuned

Last edited by AlexJag; 05-06-2020 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 05:07 PM

There's not that many of these cars that are running with high-flow cats , just of top of my head I know another guy had with a Jag with high flow cats and they have melted just like mine did. Google issues on running with aftermarket high flows, tons have melted. That's why I'm running catless. A tune btw can be done for performance not just cat cel removal power loss . I'm At near 100 gain to the crank on a 4.2 car ,5.0 has even higher potential tuned
I considered catless, but was bombarded by people telling me I was inconsiderate for even speaking of such on here. So I opted to just run some high flow cats, plus I don't want a lot of drone inside the car. As far as tuning goes, I've had plenty of my cars dyno tuned, but not many places offer this for the XKR's and the ones you can order are more than I want to spend just to tune in some cats.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:21 PM
Sponsor

I considered catless, but was bombarded by people telling me I was inconsiderate for even speaking of such on here. So I opted to just run some high flow cats, plus I don't want a lot of drone inside the car. As far as tuning goes, I've had plenty of my cars dyno tuned, but not many places offer this for the XKR's and the ones you can order are more than I want to spend just to tune in some cats.
Well there is not a lot of tuners that actually do jaguars properly. You can check my past threads on my journey , I went through several tuners with bad results , fast forward three years later I do tuning for the XKR cars myself and for others and I have pretty amazing results ! Feel free to pm can provide my cell if you want to chat on the phone .
And once again if you're just looking for sound I do not recommend going with high-flow cats or decat because most likely you will get a check engine light and most likely you will loose power on the low to mid rpm range , from my experience these issues must be addressed in the tune.
I I shelled out $1,200 4 high flow cats to have them fail at 7000mi, so just keep that in mind.
​​​​​​

Old 05-06-2020, 05:57 PM

Well there is not a lot of tuners that actually do jaguars properly. You can check my past threads on my journey , I went through several tuners with bad results , fast forward three years later I do tuning for the XKR cars myself and for others and I have pretty amazing results ! Feel free to pm can provide my cell if you want to chat on the phone .
And once again if you're just looking for sound I do not recommend going with high-flow cats or decat because most likely you will get a check engine light and most likely you will loose power on the low to mid rpm range , from my experience these issues must be addressed in the tune.
I I shelled out $1,200 4 high flow cats to have them fail at 7000mi, so just keep that in mind.
​​​​​​
The 2 sets im looking at aren’t nearly that much, and a good friend of mine has his own exhaust shop so I’m getting a pretty decent deal. I guess if it happens at least I won’t be out too too much lol. But yeah, I’ll shoot you a pm bc a tune sounds like a good idea once everything is installed.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:24 AM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

What was the brand of hf cats that melted, anybody else have this issue or is this an one off.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I have the same brand 100 cell cats and mine have not melted...yet. This usually happens with fueling or timing issues. Also in my opinion I do not think there is much acoustic difference between straight pipes and 100 cell cats. Also drone comes from exhaust design and mufflers, not catalytic convertors.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
I have the same brand 100 cell cats and mine have not melted...yet. This usually happens with fueling or timing issues. Also in my opinion I do not think there is much acoustic difference between straight pipes and 100 cell cats. Also drone comes from exhaust design and mufflers, not catalytic convertors.
I didn't think the cats would cause drone per se, more so "catless" with resonator removal and x pipe installed, all combined just seems like it would be a tad loud and drone"y". Jahummer how is the sound of yours inside the car?

Old 05-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I have had a corvette with hi flows and never an issue, this is the first I have heard of cats melting.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I would look for a complete solution from one of the companies that really know Jaguar. Certainly not the cheapest route, but may be the smartest in the long run.

I put two high flow mufflers on my XK and it was such a dog down low, I swapped them back to OEM within a week of the install. Biggest waste of money ever. I learned my lesson.

I would go cat-less and not mention it to those easily offended.

EnRoute30 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I would look for a complete solution from one of the companies that really know Jaguar. Certainly not the cheapest route, but may be the smartest in the long run.

I put two high flow mufflers on my XK and it was such a dog down low, I swapped them back to OEM within a week of the install. Biggest waste of money ever. I learned my lesson.

I would go cat-less and not mention it to those easily offended.
The magnum high flow cats I listed above are jaguar specific, though I cant find much info outside of their website on them. The Pypes high flow cats are been used by many with good success, they just aren't jaguar specific. I am going to be getting whatever I decided to tuned, be it high flow cats or catless (which isn't off the table completely shhhhh). I think the tune will fix the loss of down low power.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Canadacat
What was the brand of hf cats that melted, anybody else have this issue or is this an one off.
I bought them from FrickenJag forum member here. I was told he was using Magnaflow. The quality of the converters was in question as soon as I got them, one of them was separating already , that one replaced by FrickenJag. 7000mi later they both melted. Google for melted catalytic converters it's a very common problem on a modified car and even with a perfect tune. But I guess what I do I expect from MagnaFlow they're only $100 a piece new for a reason and only a 90 day warranty compared to $750 for OEM. Maybe higher-quality high Flow catalytic converters will do better.

Last edited by AlexJag; 05-07-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Mine made enough noise from standard would not want any more or would be intrusive

Old 05-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I didn't think the cats would cause drone per se, more so "catless" with resonator removal and x pipe installed, all combined just seems like it would be a tad loud and drone"y". Jahummer how is the sound of yours inside the car?
I have 100 cell cats, dual X crossovers and no mufflers, only 2 resonators before the tips. Exhaust piping starts at 2”, goes to 2.5 between the Xs and goes to 3” from the last X to the quad 3.5” carbon fiber tips.

It’s loud but not as loud as some I have heard. I can play music and make phone calls in the cabin without too much interference.

mosesbotbol (05-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Decided it's time for the Exhaust Upgrade