XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Definition of Term "Base"

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Definition of Term "Base"

Hope this isn't a silly question, but I tried searching this thread and even Googling for an answer:
What is the meaning of the word "Base" in terms of an XK/XKR? I was thinking it had to do with options, etc., but that has proven wrong.
So when I see an add for a "2010 XKR Base Coupe," what does "Base" mean?
Thanks!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

It means that the people who placed the ad don't understand that everything comes standard in both the XK and XKR.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by aahmichael
It means that the people who placed the ad don't understand that everything comes standard in both the XK and XKR.
So, does the term Base mean no additional options?
Have seen many, many ads from both dealers and private party using the term.
Thanks

Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Was there a "luxury","premium" or Portfolio package of options? Portfolio became a model designation starting in '08 I think.

Bruce

Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Was there a "luxury","premium" or Portfolio package of options? Portfolio became a model designation starting in '08 I think.

Bruce
"Portfolio" really just refers to a unique exterior/interior color package, with unique wheels. Sometimes they have done a "Special Edition," but again, the differences are very subtle.

I can understand why someone would advertise a "base" XK, but that would simply refer the fact that it isn't a XKR. Advertising a "base" XKR makes no sense at all, though. There is no such thing as a "base" XKR.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by tnt10
So, does the term Base mean no additional options?
Have seen many, many ads from both dealers and private party using the term.
Thanks
I guess it would mean no additional options, however, there are very few additional options to be had anyway.

I ordered a 2013 XK coupe, and the only options offered were a heated windshield, Adaptive Cruise Control, HD Radio, and a different cover for the steering wheel. Everything else comes standard.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

"Base" should mean that the car has no installed options. However, I've seen "base" used in advertising more and more these days, often on cars which clearly have installed options.

Jags in the US all come with a number of, pardon the oxymoron, "standard options". A "base" XJ8 in the US came with leather seats, AC, automatic transmission, etc. all standard (base). The same cars in Europe came with standard cloth seats, a variety of engines, and manual transmissions. All of our standards were upgrades for them. I could hardly believe it the first time I saw a Jaguar with trashed cloth seats!

My theory is that sellers believe that by marketing a car as "base", potential buyers will investigate it as a potentially cheaper example than the same car with options. If this "base" car actually has options (nav, upgraded stereo, heated seats, etc.) then the potential buyer will think that he is getting something more than he is paying for. Whatever the case, the term "base" in this case is being used as a marketing gimmick, as it is likely that the seller, especially a car dealer, knows exactly what came as standard and what was an option on the car, and has priced it accordingly.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses.
I guess from this point onward I will just ignore the term is auto descriptions.
Thanks again

Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

TNT10, don't lose heart and give up just because your question hasn't been properly answered yet. This late-model XK sub-forum doesn't have the largest readership nor most reader participation.

In the automotive sense, "Base" generally means the lowest trim level available on an automobile model line. This is a long established means of diferentiating levels of manufacturer-packaged variations of features in the model line.

For example, many Toyota models have letter suffixes SE or SLE which explain, to those familiar, at what level in the model line that particular vehicle resides. A Toyota "Camry SE" has less manufacturer-packaged luxury and performance options than the "Camry SLE"; while a simple "Camry" has the lowest level of such packaged options, i.e. the "base." Honda does something similar with DX, EX, and LX. Most manufacturers have some such nomenclature.

In the Jaguar XK model line for the United States, there are three XK trim levels: XK (i.e. the "base" version in the model line), XKR and XKR-S. The manufacturer-packaged differences in this particular case hinge on the engine and its performance, but various upgrades in luxury, suspension, and other features accompany each increase in XK trim level.

Accordingly, someone citing a vehicle as an "XKR base" is silly. The person who said or wrote it is simply ignorant, they don't know what they're talking about.

Last edited by OC_Gunman; 07-04-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I think you see "base" because that's just how it's set up in Autotrader or Cars.com's databases. Nothing silly or dumb here on the part of the seller.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by OC_Gunman
.................In the automotive sense, "Base" generally means the lowest trim level available on an automobile model line. This is a long established means of diferentiating levels of manufacturer-packaged variations of features in the model line...............
The use of a term varies considerably what is meant by 'base' to you in California or even across the USA may be different from here in the UK.

Nevertheless, I'll stick my head above the parapet on this one!

My understanding has always been much as OC_Gunman outlines. 'Base' is the standard specification for a particular market but there will always be options available.

The Jaguar website allows you to 'build your XK' by first selecting the base model of Coupe or Convertible in standard, Portfolio, XXR or XKR-S levels.
It then takes you to this page:

Note use of the term 'base price' on the right hand side and the list of options available on the left at additional cost. Some of these may be included in the standard specification for the US market, some may not.

If I order the 'base' model, it is £97,430 ($151,636) but if I add all the options it becomes £101,210 ($157,519).

We are more often coming across the (US) term 'fully loaded' in the UK. Where this is used, it implies all available options included.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Definition of Term "Base"-jaguar-base-model.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

We are more often coming across the (US) term 'fully loaded' in the UK. Where this is used, it implies all available options included.

Graham
If you go to the US Jaguar site, you'll see that everything is already included in the so-called "base" model, except for the optional heated windshield and carbon engine cover.

Here in the US, the Jaguar XK is known for the fact that basically all "options" are included as standard.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM

So, to make a long story short, the term base in a description such as "2007 Base XKR with multiple such and such options" has no real meaning.
Thanks

Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by OC_Gunman
TNT10, don't lose heart and give up just because your question hasn't been properly answered yet. This late-model XK sub-forum doesn't have the largest readership nor most reader participation.

In the automotive sense, "Base" generally means the lowest trim level available on an automobile model line. This is a long established means of diferentiating levels of manufacturer-packaged variations of features in the model line.

For example, many Toyota models have letter suffixes SE or SLE which explain, to those familiar, at what level in the model line that particular vehicle resides. A Toyota "Camry SE" has less manufacturer-packaged luxury and performance options than the "Camry SLE"; while a simple "Camry" has the lowest level of such packaged options, i.e. the "base." Honda does something similar with DX, EX, and LX. Most manufacturers have some such nomenclature.

In the Jaguar XK model line for the United States, there are three XK trim levels: XK (i.e. the "base" version in the model line), XKR and XKR-S. The manufacturer-packaged differences in this particular case hinge on the engine and its performance, but various upgrades in luxury, suspension, and other features accompany each increase in XK trim level.

Accordingly, someone citing a vehicle as an "XKR base" is silly. The person who said or wrote it is simply ignorant, they don't know what they're talking about.
This is my understanding as well. Whenever I see dealer ads for XK's they refer to the base model as the XK vs. the upgrades to XKR and XKR-S variants. A "base XKR" designation has to be a mistake.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

I believe that in the US "base" normally refers to normally aspirated (NA) XKs other than portfolio or other special models. SKR & XKR-S refers to supercharged XKs.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Wait... I thought it meant the car had a premium sound system.

(Had to do it. :P)

e

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for bringing this up tnt10. I was wondering why it showed up like that in cars.com and autotrader, and now I know.
BTW... I'm on the look out for pretty much your exact model (2007 XKR British Racing Green). How do you like it?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ajobloke
Thanks for bringing this up tnt10. I was wondering why it showed up like that in cars.com and autotrader, and now I know.
BTW... I'm on the look out for pretty much your exact model (2007 XKR British Racing Green). How do you like it?
I acually love it! I am driving it more that I thought I would, looking for any excuse to drive it.
I think it's a great combination, not flashy at all, but still a head-turner!
Mine has all of the options available for that year.
One thing that people do talk about is the retractable radio antenna, but it hasn't been any problem for me. (Some on this sight talk of remembering to lower it before going through an automatic car wash, which I can't believe anyone with one of these beautiful cars doing!).
I think on cars.com there is still one advertised in NC, with even lower miles than mine (21,000 or so).
Good luck on the search!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the comments tnt10.
I had also spotted that one in NC... tempting. I've read of other members agreeing online, then flying in and driving home. What a weekend trip that would be!
Enjoy your ride.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ajobloke
Thanks for the comments tnt10.
I had also spotted that one in NC... tempting. I've read of other members agreeing online, then flying in and driving home. What a weekend trip that would be!
Enjoy your ride.
I actually lucked out on my purchase. Bought through a private party that turned out to be a friend of a friend in my town. Saved the dealer retail-mark-up, got all the service records, original window sticker and extended service contract for 3 more years to boot!
Good luck on your search. You'll know her when you see her-it'll just feel right!