XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Delayed power off mini ISO relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts
Default Delayed power off mini ISO relay

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me how long the power off delay relay runs before power is cut?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Power is not really shut down by a relay, but rather by individual computer controlled modules powering down on command or after a delay.

You can see this by monitoring the current draw, or by monitoring CANbus activity. When CANbus activity stops, all the modules are 'sleeping'.

My observation is that the time is not absolutely deterministic, but it depends on the state of many activities monitored in the vehicle and on the networks. Typically it takes 10-30 minutes or so for a full power-down. It would generally be a longer delay after the engine has been run, and a shorter delay, if say, a door had just been opened waking up the electronics, but the engine was not started.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-05-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Power is not really shut down by a relay, but rather by individual computer controlled modules powering down on command or after a delay.

You can see this by monitoring the current draw, or by monitoring CANbus activity. When CANbus activity stops, all the modules are 'sleeping'.

My observation is that the time is not absolutely deterministic, but it depends on the state of many activities monitored in the vehicle and on the networks. Typically it takes 10-30 minutes or so for a full power-down. It would generally be a longer delay after the engine has been run, and a shorter delay, if say, a door had just been opened waking up the electronics, but the engine was not started.
Thank you and much appreciated. So the vehicles power off delay relay doesn't function like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Delay-R...MZ67XV065B#Ask

Reason for asking is related to a project I'm considering. I want to power down an app (as part of an automated process) When the car is running, the app will be running and when the ignition is turned off, presently the app would just be killed due to lack of power, but that will cause reboot problems for the app when the ignition is started again. I want to delay killing the power to the app long enough for it to shut down properly. It takes 20-30 seconds so I need a delay.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Thank you and much appreciated. So the vehicles power off delay relay doesn't function like this one?

Reason for asking is related to a project I'm considering. I want to power down an app (as part of an automated process) When the car is running, the app will be running and when the ignition is turned off, presently the app would just be killed due to lack of power, but that will cause reboot problems for the app when the ignition is started again. I want to delay killing the power to the app long enough for it to shut down properly. It takes 20-30 seconds so I need a delay.
I, too, would love to have the James Bond .50 cal machine guns and/or missiles emit from the headlamp windshield washer port to clear offensive or slow drivers from my path. Curious on where you're planning to mount the debris removal brushes?

Just kidding, but I am curious what you're working on...

Old 01-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

I'm trying to solve for HKS Camp 2. While I think the set up is brilliant, the technology is antiquated, no longer supported and about $800 to buy a used one on eBay, if you're lucky.

I may have found a way to emulate something similar using some of the same tech (GVIF converter) and some new tech devices (my experiment). I'm not ready to get the details out yet as I'm still mapping it out in my mind and I've just begun ordering parts to begin a prototype. Frankly it's a crapshoot at this point.

Once done and if it works, I'll share a detailed install, a list of parts that you'll be readily able to purchase off the internet, including cost, which currently is around $200 excluding the GVIF. My goal is to have the same result as HKS Camp2 with modern tech and lower cost.

First and foremost, I'm still working on the backup camera solution with Cambo. He's back tomorrow so we should know the answer shortly.

The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I, too, would love to have the James Bond .50 cal machine guns and/or missiles emit from the headlamp windshield washer port to clear offensive or slow drivers from my path.
Hmmm. I have that. Mine came with the luxury package.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:15 PM

I'm trying to solve for HKS Camp 2. While I think the set up is brilliant, the technology is antiquated, no longer supported and about $800 to buy a used one on eBay, if you're lucky.

I may have found a way to emulate something similar using some of the same tech (GVIF converter) and some new tech devices (my experiment). I'm not ready to get the details out yet as I'm still mapping it out in my mind and I've just begun ordering parts to begin a prototype. Frankly it's a crapshoot at this point.

Once done and if it works, I'll share a detailed install, a list of parts that you'll be readily able to purchase off the internet, including cost, which currently is around $200 excluding the GVIF. My goal is to have the same result as HKS Camp2 with modern tech and lower cost.

First and foremost, I'm still working on the backup camera solution with Cambo. He's back tomorrow so we should know the answer shortly.
Outstanding. I think almost all of us would be interested in that kind of a solution. God speed, Sean.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Hmmm. I have that. Mine came with the luxury package.
You "portfolio" people ...

Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

OK, got it. I was responding as if you were referring to full electrical power down.

In your case, I think you want a trigger for ignition off, which is different. You can use the wiring to the cigarette lighter or the front and back optional power outlets as an ignition off trigger. See figure 20.1 on the wiring diagram (downloadable from Jagrepair.com). I have also used these time delay relays for a similar purpose: XPRESSKIT DEI RELAY MODULE PULSE TIMER NEW 528T | eBay

Sean W (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
OK, got it. I was responding as if you were referring to full electrical power down.

In your case, I think you want a trigger for ignition off, which is different. You can use the wiring to the cigarette lighter or the front and back optional power outlets as an ignition off trigger. See figure 20.1 on the wiring diagram
Yes and if I'm tracking you correctly, I want to insert the relay (will likely use the rear acc plug) on the brown wire after CA025/7 and before CA052/2?. I would not use the switched wire.
That would enable voltage to my app enough time to shut down properly, with the relay then tripping after a predetermined amount of time, say 60 seconds, cutting power to the acc plug.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Yes and if I'm tracking you correctly, I want to insert the relay (will likely use the rear acc plug) on the brown wire after CA025/7 and before CA052/2?. I would not use the switched wire.
That would enable voltage to my app enough time to shut down properly, with the relay then tripping after a predetermined amount of time, say 60 seconds, cutting power to the acc plug.
Yes, or you can plug standard .250 quick disconnect terminal directly in the CA052 connector body...they actually fit.

You WILL also need to use the switched wire, but not as a power source. You need to use it as the trigger signal for the time delay relay, and you will need to configure the time delay relay for a NEGATIVE trigger, since power is being removed on the switched wire when you want it to trigger the timer.

Sean W (01-06-2017)