XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Did I make a mistake in buying a New XKR

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Do you think the dealer is BS'ing you and something else happened?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Do you think the dealer is BS'ing you and something else happened?
Honestly, I don't know. A lot of trust is placed with the dealer when you leave your car there. Did they follow proper procedures when they performed the update? Did they mess up on the install? Did they cause damage? I really don't know. The dealer tells me the screen locked-up and needs to be sent to New Jersey. They said Jaguar would not allow them to install any new replacement parts. This is beginning to smell... I'll ask Braman Bentley Motor Cars to not title the car and refund my money when they receive it. There is no reason why they shouldn't do this and force me into a car I don't want.

I was very excited about this car until this problem popped up which made me think. A simple radio software update can't be done properly at the dealership and Jaguar will not install any new parts. I did not buy a refurbished car...

Last edited by DGL; 07-31-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aahmichael
To conclude that the Jaguar brand sucks because a handful of people constantly find something to complain about on this extremely isolated forum is just absurd. I LOVE my XK!!!! I'm coming up on my one year anniversary, and I love my car more and more every single day. It's the perfect car for me. I wouldn't take another car if they gave it to me for free.
It is what it is. I bought an almost new car, 300 miles from new. Not a refurbished car. Jaguar will not replace the defective module(s) with new. The dealer is required to disassemble the car, ship the defective part across the country for repair and reinstall it. This is stupid...

Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Jeeze, and I thought I was skittish when it comes to buying cars.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

And do you really want a GTR? I hear stories of strangers creepily stalking GTR drivers to have a chat with them when they get out of their cars...

I was behind the GT-R on my way home. I did not go out of my way to follow him. There is nothing "creepily stalking" about talking to someone about their car. He pulled of the road and I approached him very politely. No so called stalking with bad intentions. Their are not many GT-R's in my area and I've been interested in the car before I bought my first XKR. The opportunity was in front of me to pull over and to see if he would share his experience with his car with me. Nothing creepy as you suggest... When I had my 175 people would always approach me and I'm sure every exotic car owner gets the same response from car enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michael_chen217
lol, I have pretty much exactly same experience with you.
My 10 xf's trunk can not be opened, and It took my local dealer one month still cant fix it. So I have to go 100 miles away to another dealer get it fixed!! How dumb is that
Well, maybe we can do a group buy on the GTR, if you plan to sell the XKR.
But I heard in NOV 2013, there will be a facellift for the GTR. Idk if it's a good time for a GTR.
I might not need to sell the XKR. I maybe able to terminate the sale and step back to take a breathe of fresh air. This stinks. The GT-R has always been on my short list of sought after cars for a number of reasons. Where I live in Canada the AWD is highly desirable but I don't want to compromise comfort and looks too. This problem I've experienced with this new 2013 XKR has me reconsidering my decision.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I might not need to sell the XKR. I maybe able to terminate the sale and step back to take a breathe of fresh air. This stinks. The GT-R has always been on my short list of sought after cars for a number of reasons. Where I live in Canada the AWD is highly desirable but I don't want to compromise comfort and looks too. This problem I've experienced with this new 2013 XKR has me reconsidering my decision.
I understand, the thing is, I had more pleasure out of a 20k xj than i have now with much newer car, and there is too much to worry when you spend more than 80k ona car and no great service except a few rare dealers. mine with 7k miles had 5 issue going on and was at the best french dealership for ages waiting an idiot like me.... They have done absolutly nothing except washing the car, make sure its is glossy.
We should have a free problem experience and they sent us to hell at the first occasion, nothing better to break your spirit, like Ryan issue, so well known overseas but they took weeks to be aware, a real shame of organization. I had a problem yesterday on my jag, no need to explain it here or open a thread i am not getting any replies. But get a jaguar battery charger for sure, i am telling you.

Also if you ever plan to change the remote battery do it in the minute otherwise it will not stay programmed with the car.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 07-31-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Come on, needing to send parts of a brand new car across the country to have a simple radio updated? Give me a break and give me a better built car!
You are a Jag brother... a friend and we love cars. I know your frustration. My advice is to contact Mike@Jaguar on here and relay your frustration about this. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how exclusive you like your rides) Jaguar is a niche in America right now - The UK needs its auto industry, and it needs america! Therefore see what Mike says and let him know your unsatisfied. These Jaguars - they are - "special". They get into your blood. When you look at it...it turns that other key . The one that pulls on your heart. I can not explain it any other way. Jaguar knows this - they want you to buy an XK or derivative every 5 yrs for the rest of your life!! They will try within the situation to make you happy especially if this is not a quick fix. The dealership as well - for your trouble maybe they will throw in all weather mat covers or a car cover. PM me your cell number and we can chat if you wish.

BTW - if anyone wants to know what my CHIRP in the XKR-S sounded like there is a video on youtube about a "BRG convertible" that scrapes his bottom - listen right before he scrapes the bottom when he slightly hits the gas!!! There are 2 distinct chirp noises when he hits the gas...thats the E-brake cable in the back hitting the body!! Just like in mine!!! Putting some insulation on the body stops the noise. Have not heard it since they did this

Loth

Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I cannot fault you for wanting a GTR. It is probably one of the fiercest road cars in existence and will definitely go down in the history books. I'm sure it is a blast to drive (and to own)!

Yet I cannot understand how such a minor hiccup can cause you to not only back out of a deal, but go a completely different direction. Was the XKR an impulse purchase? It certainly doesn't sound like something that was done deliberately and with a lot of thought.

However, I can totally understand that, too. I've had probably 9 cars in the last 6 years or so, with the longest being owned for 3 years and the shortest 2 weeks.

Whatever ends up happening, I wish you the best of luck. Even Jag enthusiasts have pent up desires for other cars.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I was very excited about this car until this problem popped up which made me think. A simple radio software update can't be done properly at the dealership and Jaguar will not install any new parts. I did not buy a refurbished car...
I'd take a used XKR-S over a new XKR, maybe this is a blessing? You'll still be under warranty in the XKR-S and that's the last iteration of this XK body style, so why not just go for the kill?

The following users liked this post:
Matt in Houston (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I cannot fault you for wanting a GTR. It is probably one of the fiercest road cars in existence and will definitely go down in the history books. I'm sure it is a blast to drive (and to own)!

Yet I cannot understand how such a minor hiccup can cause you to not only back out of a deal, but go a completely different direction. Was the XKR an impulse purchase? It certainly doesn't sound like something that was done deliberately and with a lot of thought.

However, I can totally understand that, too. I've had probably 9 cars in the last 6 years or so, with the longest being owned for 3 years and the shortest 2 weeks.

Whatever ends up happening, I wish you the best of luck. Even Jag enthusiasts have pent up desires for other cars.
I know he was a close follower of my XKR-S Chirp thread. I think he is just very concerned and frustrated. 78k+tax+title is a TON of money. TON. I literally get upset when my car gets a bug on it. Its got 1150 miles in 10 months of ownership and its been waxed and cleaned 12 different times - 2x by a professional! These are out babies and he does not want a birth defect!! - WHO DOES!!!

DGL - I UNDERSTAND!!!

I always knew I bought the right car...I just want this car - FOREVER. Thank God it is aluminium. . That being said it wont, neither will my cat, neither will I. Thats the problem we have. We have the love and desire for these kind of cars - WE EXPECT IT TO BE PERFECT until WE MESS IT UP. If we never mess it up - we expect it to be perfect. What Jaguar needs is to invest MORE into US. Long warranties or better US Warranty Options - 100k bumper to bumper or 6 yrs on EVERY CAR. If we want MORE we pay for it...AND ID PAY IT!!

Trust me, im looking into buying a used Jag right now - and I will pay to have my dealer get the car and certify it! If they had a guarantee on every car for 100k miles bumper to bumper or its fixed for free - how can you beat that? id pay to have this warranty if they can not in good faith offer it (current is 4 yrs or 50k miles).

I do know this - They took care of me on the XKR-S with some goodwill - No they didnt pay me cash or give me a discount on the next Jag - but they made it right. They are good folks - I believe this. I will always support them - they make the smoothest car around - with looks to boot!!

write more later

Loth

Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Wow alot of activity in this thread. Your issue with the sat radio or actually is screen lockup when using sat. Field action k143 is a 2.5hr reprogamming of software in the module. Its not a big deal unless something happens during the reprogram. Like internet connection lost, laptop shutdown etc. If this happens a dealer cannot fix this, its a TO PREVENT, not a recover and itsnot a hardware issue, only software as many issues are with todays cars. just as we dont write software, we only download. If you can fix a laptop software issue because you have the correct knowledge and more importantly the correct software to recover a module you would fix your pc too. Otherwise you send it out for repair to the people that can.
Everything is on the internet now days, isnt it great when you loose connection in the middle of something? Was it your fault?
Ive been into nissan since they were datsun and have owned many. I even almost bought a 2010 gtr last yr and was even more so when i asked my insurance agent about insurance and was quoted $900/yr to add to policy. Wiser minds prevailed as my goal with that money was to build my 2400sqft 12 car garage on my property just outside houston(just poured foundation monday, and building will be shipped for erection aug 23rd). My current nissan is a heavily modifyed 05 frontier v6 truck thats pushing 600hp at the crank with a modded ken bell super charger from a vette. Issues with nissan and service. Im more active on many various nissan forums(1 Jag forum the best one, and 6 Nissan) and also have a friend in florida that has 2 gtr's his and hers(must be nice) but he runs his own business. There are way more issues with nissan(like paint peeling in a yr or 2 and being told to **** off...etc) service and cars than ive ever seen on jaguars (imo) personally i think you should have both if you want to know the truth

Last edited by Brutal; 07-31-2013 at 12:11 PM.
axr6 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Default Outcome.

I'll let everyone know the out come of this problem with Braman Bentley of West Palm Beach, the sellers of the car, and the Jaguar dealership doing the fix later this evening. For brevity the end result is buyer-beware (caveat emptor).

Last edited by DGL; 07-31-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

For me you did better buying this car than a free problem F type,
i remember driving my 95 xj 50k miles in a year in Ca, and i can tell you, you really happenned to know and enjoy the car. For less than 5 or 10k miles a year it is more a pleasure of owning maybe. I regret that time when 20k jags were top and we could drive 50k in a year and have a lot of pleasure

Old 07-31-2013, 03:54 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I have followed Ryan's problem with the chirping from the beginning to the end and supported him 100%. In fact the purchase of my next Jaguar was in the balance depending on how Jaguar treated him and his overall satisfaction. During the course of Ryan's problem I can't believe how patient he was.

At the time of Ryan's problem I was interested in an F-Type. Once Ryan's problems were resolved to his satisfaction I took an F-Type out for a test drive. Although I liked the car I found I would struggle with the lack of storage space. My decision was to buy a replacement for my 2011 XKR 175. When I seen this 2013 XKR, black, with dynamic pack and performance exhaust at a great price with only 300 miles from new, my search was over. The salesman promised me the car was pristine with no history or problems. I did not want a problem car. Jaguar continues have it's share and more of electrical problems. I was happy with my 2011 XKR 175; I just wanted to update it and have the performance close to the XKR-S.

Upon checking the car out I was advised a software update campaign was open on the cars satellite radio. Who would think the car would need to be dismantled and parts shipped across the country to perform the simple update. I bought a 300 miles from new car, not a refurbished car. Jaguar could have replaced the problem modules at the dealership. Instead there decided to ship the parts across the country to be refurbished ad re-installed. When someone buys a new car over $80K and experiences problem before even paying for it and setting in it is disconcerting. I was not happy with Jaguar or the dealerships service. Hence, the start of this thread. I mentioned the GT-R because it was by second choice. The AWD would be desirable in the Canadian winter climate. My needs are a bit different than most on this forum because of the climate I live in, the poor roads I need to drive on, and because I have 3 other vehicles two with AWD. Enough said about the GT-R. I would be happy to own one just the same as a problem free Jaguar at 300 miles from new.

I did not expect the software installation problem and I'm still not happy with Jaguar's solution for a 300 miles from new car. I hope I don't continue to experience similar problems and service.

I spoke to the salesman and the sales manager of Braman Bentley, West Palm Beach, Florida, this afternoon. After receiving my funds early in the morning they completely refused to entertain any kind of customer service let alone refund my money. The car was never test driven my me, never moved of their lot my me and not titled to me. They treated me like a faceless person after receiving the funds and basically said take the car and shove it up your *** you own it now. The sales manager said it is month end and we don't want the car on our lot anymore. I have nothing good to say about Braman Bentley of West Palm Beach, Florida. Buyer-beware (Caveat Emptor).

I asked Braman Bentley to give me the opportunity to step back and take a breathe of fresh air knowing that I would not have the car forced on me. They out right and distastefully would not give me this opportunity. I gave them the opportunity to sell me a car and they took advantage of it. If I had my choice to buy another car I would seriously reconsider my decision to buy another Jaguar and would certainly not give Braman the opportunity to sell it to me. If I were given the clear frame of mind, not having the sale forced on me, I would most likely have made the decision to keep the car. The 2 worst professions, and people to watch your back of, is car salesman and real estate salesman. They are not our friends but pretend to be until they have your money and will say anything to make a sale.

Obviously I have no patience like Ryan and don't like to see salespeople take advantage of other people. So, I played with them at Braman until they showed me their true colors after they had my money.

I will me happy with my new ride as long as I'm not plagued with similar problems. I did vent and wish Jaguar would clean up their act. No one spending over $80,000 on a car should experience such problems as this from a dealer or car salesman.

Last edited by DGL; 07-31-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I will me happy with my new ride as long as I'm not plagued with similar problems.
I hope you will have many years of trouble-free use out of this car!

I used to have a Lexus and was active on the Lexus forums. Those forums were FILLED with people having just bought a $50k CPO car that was in the shop under warranty for weeks waiting for parts to come. Meanwhile they are making payments on the car that they can't even drive. And that was just over a $50k Lexus, not a $100k Jaguar. But honestly, you find similar expectations of "perfection" when people pay $30k for a car. (Whenever I hear people say it is UNACCEPTABLE for my $30,000 car to have a problem like this I have to roll my eyes!)

I think that it's perhaps not the best of customer service that the dealership did not let you cancel the sale. However, I also think that as the buyer, you had committed to buy the car already. But, depending on whatever the laws are where you live, you might want to exercise any legal option you have!

I do think that Jaguar will be able to resolve your issue. They at least SEE a problem while you are still under warranty. In my experience, that is half the battle with any dealership. (Oh, that popping sound? That's normal--it's the brakes! Yeah right...)

Hopefully it will not take that long. I wonder if they'll be able to have you take delivery of the car by the weekend as you had originally planned. Best of luck!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

@DGL. Well that sucks. I guess that why we're a Pride of Jaguar dealer and they are not. I dont know about Florida law. But until youre off the lot, its not your car. That module issue is not common that it locks up and that module due to its cost to Jaguar has to be preapproved and ordered. And since not a common issue and expensive( I think $3000 warranty cost)it would have to be ordered and would probobly come from the UK. Then taking more time that shipping overnight back and forth to Jersey. And when they know it can be fixed by a update at Jaguar in Jersey. If they sent the module to the manufacturer it would have been rejected and eaten by Jaguar. Remember Jaguar is a boutique limited production manufacturer and thats a large draw to have a car thats not a me too BMW, BENZ, LEXUS etc.. Any successfull business that hopes to be stable in the market has to watch and control costs and balance with customer satisfaction too.. There are no Obama handouts in the UK
Sorry for your troubles

Last edited by Brutal; 07-31-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

DGL,

You're obviously quite upset about this (as I would be, if I were in your shoes), and I suggest you take a deep breath and redirect your emotions to getting even.

If you want to rescind this deal, you need to engage the services of a Florida attorney who specializes in contract law (that's not me!). The terms and conditions of the Sales Agreement you signed will determine the outcome, and it depends on what, if anything, that document says about your specific facts.

Off the top of my head, and without any legal basis whatsoever, it appears that you agreed to pay Braman in consideration of receiving a car that was ready for delivery, which it was not. Did they inform you in writing that the car wasn't ready for delivery before you paid them? If so, you're probably up the creek without a paddle. However, if you sent payment before they informed you of that module issue, then it is arguable that Braman fraudulently induced you to pay them. Fraud in the inducement is grounds for a court to void a contract and require a refund and possibly award damages depending on the circumstances. Other legal theories may apply to remedy your situation.

Am I correct that Braman still has the car as well as your $$$ and that you have not received the title? If so, and if you want to get your money back, DON'T pick up the car, instruct Braman in writing to not ship it to you, and get a lawyer ASAP in West Palm Beach, FL. You're too far away to handle this yourself, and time is of the essence.

Although, unfortunately, the Florida Lemon Law does not apply to used cars all hope is not lost. See this link:Florida Used Car Lemon Law | Used Car Lemon Law FL I do not know this attorney and have no opinion concerning his suitability for your needs.

Can anyone on this forum recommend a good FL lawyer who can help DGL?.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-31-2013 at 06:01 PM.
mja xkr (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Lemon Law? Why on earth would this car need to be covered under lemon laws?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

If I wish to not close on the sale I will seek the advise of a Florida attorney to see what remedies are available to me under Florida contarct law. Although the car may be fine I'm upset with the disposition Braman Bentley.

No contract signed.
Funds received this morning.
Car has never left lot in my name.

I may just close on the deal to avoid a mess pending the outcome of the update being successfully installed and any change in attitude of the selling dealership. I'm really pissed off over all this, in particular Braman Bentley Motors. I may find that Braman Bentley is not respecting Florida used car consumer law, which I want to find out.

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake in buying a New XKR