XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Did I make a mistake in buying a New XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Option 2 is the winner… I'll still enjoy the car all the same... I have my fingers crossed everything from here on in will be fine.
Glad you're staying in the gang - even if there are a few more gremlins, it's a great car, you're going to love it. Mine's had 4 warranty fixes (battery, aircon condenser, iPod interface, high-level brake light), but I can't stop grinning.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I understand you being very upset about what happened BUT, I trust, in a month, in a year and more, you will forget all this hassle and be a happy and proud owner of the car. You got the perfectly equipped XKR, not easy to find, particularly not with only 300 miles. I think you should still consider yourself lucky for the find and for the, IMO, good price you paid for it.

With that, wish you good luck going forward with your ownership,

Albert

DGL (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Option 2 is the winner. I never expected the dealer to give up the easy money without a lot of drawn out legal work. Once they had my money my faith was decided and they knew it.

I'll still enjoy the car all the same. These were the issues:

1. The dealer should have had the car ready for sale from the start without having to experience my new car being dismantled and repaired. The car went to the Jaguar dealership to have the day time running lights switched on. It ended up being taken apart with the parts shipped across the country because of an open campaign item having to do with a simple radio.
2. I thought I would not have a problem getting a certified jaguar extended warranty on a 300 miles from new car. To be eligible for the extended warranty Jaguar has to sell the car. It's their car with only 300 miles on it? Give me a break.
3. The sales manager was a real dick and very impersonal. On the other hand the salesman wasn't too bad.

The parts have not returned from New Jersey yet I have my fingers crossed everything from here on in will be fine.
1. Isn't the satellite radio update something that you requested they do? It was completely out of their control as it was sent to West Palm Beach Jaguar. The car was ready for sale until you asked them to update the satellite radio firmware.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know of no brands that will give you a factory-backed extended warranty when buying a car from a third party. Why would you expect anything more than the standard manufacturers warranty?

3. I will take your word for this one!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
1. Isn't the satellite radio update something that you requested they do? It was completely out of their control as it was sent to West Palm Beach Jaguar. The car was ready for sale until you asked them to update the satellite radio firmware.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know of no brands that will give you a factory-backed extended warranty when buying a car from a third party. Why would you expect anything more than the standard manufacturers warranty?

3. I will take your word for this one!

1. Braman Motors specializes in only high end cars and I expect high end service including any outstanding recalls and open campaigns, regardless of manufacture, to be completed to customer satisfaction. I was told the car was pristine. I understand this to mean perfect without defect and current.

2. With 300 miles from new what makes this car a higher risk to offer a manufacturer warranty. I'm not fully cognizant with out the industry works. I assume a manufacturer would jump on the opportunity to sell an extended warranty on one of their cars with only 300 miles. Obviously certified extended warranties are a control thing to force exclusive trading.

3. Yeah. It really pushed me over the edge.

4. I flipped and flopped taking out my frustration on the brand. I do realize we live in an imperfect world and I thought I had a perfect car. My bad. I'm getting a beautiful machine which I will treasure.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
amcdonal86 (08-02-2013), Brutal (08-02-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Your good... I feel your pain brother. God do I feel it!!!

DGL (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Hey DGL, I just want to let you know you made the right decision. I went out for a 15 minute test ride after washing my XKR tonight in order to see if my axle replacement was successful (it was). And what do I see? Not one, but TWO identical silver Nissan GTRs. I know they weren't the same one because one of them had the license plate "R35PECT".

And how many Jaguar XKs did I see? You guessed it. Zero.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hey DGL, I just want to let you know you made the right decision. I went out for a 15 minute test ride after washing my XKR tonight in order to see if my axle replacement was successful (it was). And what do I see? Not one, but TWO identical silver Nissan GTRs. I know they weren't the same one because one of them had the license plate "R35PECT".

And how many Jaguar XKs did I see? You guessed it. Zero.
I made up my mind to buy the Jaguar over the GT-R along time ago. It's the right decision for me. Would I like to have a GT-R? Yup, but not as my 4th car. First, my wife's and family's Volvo AWD sedan is a must car. Second, my truck for business reasons and for yard/house maintenance. Third, a car I can personally enjoy which for me currently is the XKR. The GT-R came second and I may even trade my convertible G37 for a GT-R.

I like cars and I'm fortunate to be able to afford a car for personal reasons such as a new XKR or GT-R. When buying my car of choice for around $80K with 300 miles I assumed it to be perfect and relied on the dealer describing the car as pristine. I never anticipated my car of choice to be dismantled and parts shipped across the country for repair. A lot of questions rushed through my unique head: What other problems are coming as a result of this? How long is this whole ordeal going to take? How badly is the trim work going to be damaged? Will I get a refurbished part back form a different car or the same part? I wanted to have the option to terminate the purchase if I wasn't satisfied. Payment for the car was in transit via wired funds. When the dealership arrogantly said I own the car I lost it and the saga began...If the dealer said they would not force the car on me, but hoped I would be satisfied with the repair when completed and reconsider the car at that time, I would have, with a clear mind, made the same decision to keep the car.

The GT-R will always be a car on my short list because of my unique personal needs and desire. I live in Canada where we have winter snow and AWD is nice to have. The phenomenal performance of the GT-R is legendary but comes at the expense of comfort. The GT-R R36 model is dated like the Jaguar XK model but the XK wins hands down on style and brand recognition. The GT-R as a personal hobby car is a modifier's dream. The XKR is not a hobby car to substantially modify the crap out of. The XKR is elegant and not a beast. Is the GT-R a bad choice, no. It's just not my choice at this time.

I wanted a 2012 or 2013 Black Jaguar XKR with the dynamic pack and performance exhaust as close to new as possible at a great price. The bottom line is I think I did pretty good at the end and avoided a nightmare (I hope). No one wants a new car plagued with problems and we all know Jaguar has a long history of problematic cars. The unavailable certified extended warranty on a 300 mile from new car is disappointing. Jaguar should extend this warranty to there customers not buying their cars from a Jaguar dealership for a number of reasons. It would help car buyers gain confidence over the reliability stigma.

I'm now looking forward to seeing the car arrive.

Last edited by DGL; 08-03-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
The unavailable certified extended warranty on a 300 mile from new car is disappointing. Jaguar should extend this warranty to there customers not buying their cars from a Jaguar dealership for a number of reasons.
I guess this may be something different between the US & UK - here, on my Sept 2010 car purchased this April, I still have the balance of the 3-year manufacturer's warranty until October, then a dealer warranty (which happens to be Jaguar because it was a Jag dealership) to take me through until April. That gives me a 1-year overall warranty, which is all I'd expect on a 3-year-old car.

In you case, with an as-new 2013 model, I'd expect the balance of the 3-year manufacturer's warranty. Are you not being given that? Or is the extended warranty for more than 3 years?

I wonder why they have a 300-mile car at a non-Jag dealer - did someone find 520 HP too much?

Originally Posted by DGL
I'm now looking forward to seeing the car arrive.
I'll be interested in your experience of the Dynamic Pack vs. your previous XKR - while I test-drove some standard XKRs before buying my 75, I really didn't have enough time in them to fully gauge their capabilities (particularly not with a sales droid sitting next to me!). So, I know that the car is more 'taut', but it's hard to quantify the extent of that.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:20 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I guess this may be something different between the US & UK - here, on my Sept 2010 car purchased this April, I still have the balance of the 3-year manufacturer's warranty until October, then a dealer warranty (which happens to be Jaguar because it was a Jag dealership) to take me through until April. That gives me a 1-year overall warranty, which is all I'd expect on a 3-year-old car.

In you case, with an as-new 2013 model, I'd expect the balance of the 3-year manufacturer's warranty. Are you not being given that? Or is the extended warranty for more than 3 years?

I wonder why they have a 300-mile car at a non-Jag dealer - did someone find 520 HP too much?

I'll be interested in your experience of the Dynamic Pack vs. your previous XKR - while I test-drove some standard XKRs before buying my 75, I really didn't have enough time in them to fully gauge their capabilities (particularly not with a sales droid sitting next to me!). So, I know that the car is more 'taut', but it's hard to quantify the extent of that.

1. The Certified Jaguar Warranty is available to people who purchase their car from a Jaguar dealer only, regardless of the condition as long as it passes their 140 point check. This 300 mile from new 2013 XKR would have no problem passing a the checks. This is the manufacture trying to control the trade of the car exclusively. This warranty is on top of the standard 4 year 50K miles warranty and gives your 2 extra years from the point the standard warranty ends and is good for 100k miles. I know how members on this forum value their warranty and I assumed this car would be eligible hands down. However, as I'm learning this practise is common with other manufactures too.

2. I found this hard to believe but verified by others. The guy that bought this car new buys over 10 cars a month, all high end. Some he doesn't even set in and trades them in again. In fact he bought this Jag twice. The second time he traded it in for a Bentley with 254 miles on the Jag. And guess what? When I bought my Jag from the Bentley dealer the Bentley he traded the Jag in on was on their lot for sale again. Everyone in West Palm Beach, as I understand, knows him. I'd like to get to know him personally so I can buy some of his cars cheap. Any members here close to West Palm Beach? In a way I feel bad for him because something is missing in his life to do this and he's trying to fill void by throwing his money at cars to get a quick fix. Some salesman make their living just off him. So, my car at 300 miles shows two owners at 254 miles and I'm the third. I asked the dealer to give me a letter about this, for resale value to explain it, and they refused. Although I believe it because the Jaguar dealer verified this and said he only buys top end equipped high end cars.

3. Me too. I'm very interested in seeing how this car performs in comparison to the 175. I'll let you know. The dynamic pack gives the XKR the same suspension and damper control settings as the XKR-S. The performance active exhaust is the same as the XKR-S, too, which I assume will account for a few extra ponies over the 510hp. The dynamic pack is an expensive option and a hard to find option on a used XKR.

I plan on keeping this car for some time. My replacement for this car, as I see it now, will be the redesigned XKR or a re-designed GT-R. I'd like to see Jaguar not increase the size of the XK and make it more of a sports/GT car, but I think this is not going to happen with the new F-type in the line-up. I'd also like to see the next iteration of the GT-R (R38) released under the Infiniti brand by Nissan Motors with more luxury, comfort options and a with better looks (take a look at the concept picture from Infiniti I'm going to post next--doesn't it look like an F-type/XK merged together). I do have a bias to Jaguar because of it's pedigree. However, if the XK grows in size and Nissan Motors comes out with a better mouse trap I'll jump ship. I hope I don't need to do this in 4 years time. As I see it, now, I'm very happy with my al most new XKR. I'd like to see the Nissan GT-R (phenomenal performance) and the Jaguar XK (best GT made) go down in the history books of motor cars as outstanding cars for different reasons.

Last edited by DGL; 08-03-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Default Infiniti Concept looking like XK/F-type

I hope these have not been photo shopped and are an indication of Nissan/Infiniti direction for the GT-R. Does this not look like an F-type/XK look all in one. It should have the GT-R phenomenal performance. Come on Jaguar, step it up, and give us a new sport/XK. You have some competition if Nissan/Infiniti makes this.

Attached Thumbnails Did I make a mistake in buying a New XKR-000-infiniti-emerg-e-concept-geneva.jpg   Did I make a mistake in buying a New XKR-001-infiniti-emerg-e-concept-geneva.jpg   Did I make a mistake in buying a New XKR-untitled66pjp.jpg   Did I make a mistake in buying a New XKR-untitled99jpg.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 08-03-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Ngarara (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

That's the cancelled Infiniti E-merge hybrid concept. Love the look, but can't see it morphing into a GT-R.

DGL (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default No mistake ...

You didn't make a mistake in my opinion. I for one think the GT-R is as butt-ugly as your new XKR is breath-takingly beautiful! The GT-R is way faster but only about 1/3 as cool.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch for the new NSX, I guess it's a luxuary version of GTR

Old 08-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michael_chen217
Watch for the new NSX, I guess it's a luxuary version of GTR
Different manufacturer (Honda, not Nissan). Should be an interesting car, though.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Uhem, Nissan or Jag, really? That is even a question? Sorry, don't mean to be an *** here, but those two cars don't ride in the same league, unless you care only about the performance and not class, elegance, design, and feel. Just my two cents, cheers!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marko
Uhem, Nissan or Jag, really? That is even a question? Sorry, don't mean to be an *** here, but those two cars don't ride in the same league, unless you care only about the performance and not class, elegance, design, and feel. Just my two cents, cheers!
Well, yeah, diff'rent strokes, eh? There are a lot of factors to weigh up, and we all have different priorities.

I considered the GT-R because it would probably be my only chance to own a proper bonkers supercar for money I can afford. It's not as classy or elegant as a Jag - it's a driving machine, but it doesn't sacrifice everything on the altar of performance. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

In the end, I went for the compromise of a 'firmer' XKR rather than all the way to the semi-track GT-R. But I certainly thought long & hard about it.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's not Nissan to Jag, it's GTR to XKR. It's just like LFA to Vantage.
Lexus considered to be less heritage than A&M, but that doesn't mean they are not in the same class or league.
And in terms of elegance, it is truly a personal preference. For the overall design, GTR will definitely win over since it use the best Tech available to build the car.

Originally Posted by Marko

Old 08-03-2013, 05:50 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I only hate on cars when you don't get what you paid for. The GT-R offers a lot of car for the money and the car doesn't have free falling depreciation like some other cars (I'm not going to mention any, lol). If fact a 2010 GT-R has not even depreciated because Nissan keeps increasing the price every year. I personally love the GT-R and may even trade my convertible G37 in on one. Don't get me wrong, I also, love my new XKR, but for different reasons. With a GT-R and an XKR in the stable I'll never leave it.

I never missed a car before until I sold my XKR 175. After selling it I knew I had to replace it with another XKR.

Last edited by DGL; 08-03-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:19 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Angry Jag Issues

I have found Jag mechanics to be...incompetent is not the right word...not focused? No that's not right either maybe it's that they aren't paid enough to really give a **** about getting it right the first time. I don't know what their issue is but they never seem to get it right the first time. They scratched one of my wheels and took out the carbon fiber splitter on their lift while trying to align my front end. They eventually had to send my XKRS to a specialty shop to get it aligned. They offered to fix the scratch on my wheel but since it was only about an inch I let it go. They did have to replace my splitter at $2300 (their cost). The service manager is a great guy and we have talked about doing track days together. So I haven't made much of an issue about my gripes. They have always fixed their mistakes. There have been other mistakes made on previous Jags that I have owned but I won't go into that. Just putting in my two cents. I'm sure you will be very happy with your new XKR. F**K GTR's! You might as well buy a go kart. I would never consider a GTR. They look cheap and the ride is horrible from what I've heard. No class at all. If you want a track toy get a Radical.

DGL (08-03-2013)