XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Digital speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Vince,
Just ordered one; so will let you know how it does.
This will solve my speedo +5mph problem very nicely..........my Tom Tom (6") fitted the Honda CRV & the M/H very well but not the Jag..........
When I bought the Honda they wanted $1200 for Nav hence the Tom Tom!!
Had to clean dust of my wheels after drive to Jag Club XMAS party! I do have some ceramic pads in stock ready for fitting............next year.

Merry Christmas, Adrian

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
^ Has anyone ever played with these devices?
I've looked with interest at them for a year or so, but question the bulkiness on the dash, question mounting to leather, and most require a reflective film adhered to the windshield which could be annoying in its own right.......

Anyone?

Vince
I bought one the same day Britannia did and got it today in the mail. I applied the 'film' with soapy water' much like the directions call for. I ended up doubling up on the film. Like one piece over the other. Both applied with just thick soapy water.

I located it near the far left of my windscreen near where Texas inspection stickers are located. After a little fiddling around with it I went for a drive and it works just fine.

When I got it in the garage I looked at the area in front of the speedometer and rpm gauges. Hmmmmm, so I moved just the unit to sit in front of the speedometer and adjusted the angle on the bottom of the unit to get the best result. No film applied to the glass in front of the speedometer. I'm going to give this a try for a few days and if not satisfied I'll move it back on the far left of the dash where the film is.

For us fairly old people with not so swell vision, the damned speedometer is too small...........too far to the left of the gauge assy because my left hand covers my view of it. I have been using the digital speed reading of the cruise control to get an idea of my speed but even this won't work in the early morning when your driving into the sun and then looking down into what looks like a black hole. Can't even read the digital speed display.

IF your going to have a speedometer.............make it like the one you find in a CL550. LARGE and accurate.

The following 3 users liked this post by Hailers:
britannia (12-20-2014), CleverName (12-19-2014), Ngarara (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Like I've been saying: the"SPEEDO nedds to be on the RIGHT of the TAC for the USA"
there I've said it again................
Just got my GPS speedo as well. Have not tried it yet; cleaning wheels after rainy trip to German Bakery with the wife. Those Handkook's run soo smooth ..............at a cost (1-2 mpg)! but really worth it!!
Adrian

Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Once you get a heads-up speedo that you like, you forget about the dial - I actually have trouble finding the right speeds on it now. Which causes the odd panicky moment if I've left the TomTom and Road Angel at home and find myself approaching a speed camera...

britannia (12-20-2014)
Old 01-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Hey Britannia or Hailers,

Any followup thoughts (or pics) about these HUD devices?
Just curious what you think after using them for a month...

Thanks
Vince

Old 01-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I see there are a few others out there too that use the OBD II port to display speed, rpm, fuel, time, temp, etc.,. Interesting. Feedback would indeed be appreciated.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Britannia or Hailers,

Any followup thoughts (or pics) about these HUD devices?
Just curious what you think after using them for a month...

Thanks
Vince
Attached a jpg of it on my car. The elec lead can be fed along the left side of the dash and under the dash to the cigar lighter. I left it where it lay and it has not botherd me any. Looks sloppy I suppose but I now can drive into the sun in the morning and see what my speed is.

It's not too bright at night and if it was, I'd just set the cruise and press the button on the part that inserts into the lighter and it turns off.

It's advised by me to: turn the device on first thing when you get in the car then start the engine and back out the driveway etc. It seems to take about a minute to begin reading after being turned on.

Attached Thumbnails Digital speedometer-mph.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Hailers:
andys-GR (01-20-2015), CleverName (01-19-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

^ Has anyone ever played with these devices?
I've looked with interest at them for a year or so, but question the bulkiness on the dash, question mounting to leather, and most require a reflective film adhered to the windshield which could be annoying in its own right.......

Anyone?

Vince
An actual fifteen seconds before I saw your above post, I found one like that, but with much more data;
W02 LED Car Hud Head Up Display OBD2 Interface Plug Play Speed Warn System SC | eBay

Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM

Vince,
Have not driven XK lately too busy replacing front pads on the motor home. A truely a rotten job!; 18th century Chevy technology, uses a wedge to locate a one piece caliper ***'y which almost weighs too much for an 80 yo to handle!
Did try sticking bracket at left side of dash; had some trouble getting the tape to stick
properly. Don't think I will need any film on windscreen; double numbers are easy to read .
Will update next trip...............looks great so far.

Cheers, Adrian

CleverName (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
An actual fifteen seconds before I saw your above post, I found one like that, but with much more data;
W02 LED Car Hud Head Up Display OBD2 Interface Plug Play Speed Warn System SC | eBay
Saw that, and several others....
Too much unnecessary information clogging my view for my taste...
(and I have several ways of pulling data off the OBD if needed.)

So far the only ones I have kinda liked are those that use GPS for speed sensing.... My radar detector has GPS speed display as well, and what the car says you are doing is quite different than reality. I suspect the OBD speed will be as inaccurate as the speedometer itself.

Thanks Hailers for the pic.... As I feared, it looks rather cumbersome laying up there. Wish they were thinner and more obscure....

Vince

Old 03-05-2015, 10:20 AM

Vince,
Have mounted the Universal HU display on the left upper corner of the dash. Works great except doesn't stick too well (because of my dash leather treatment?).
Didn't use the film on glass.............still readable on the glass(just).
It proved that my speedo is only about 1 MPH fast! Good enough for me..........do love the on/off switch on the power connector to the cigar lighter socket (Jaguar's don't have a cigarette lighter! ) .
It's much easier to read than speedo................so recommend it.
It's easy to knock of when using dash Sun Shield though...........
Cheers, Adrian