XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Dimming Headlight/Foglight Indicators

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Dimming Headlight/Foglight Indicators

Hi Folks,

New first time Jag owner, 2007 XK Coupe that I've owned for a week. What a car!

Any insight as to if it's possible to dim the headlight/foglight indicators on the tach? They don't seem to respond to dimming as the rest of the the instruments do when using the knob.

Also, this morning I noticed the buzzing coming from the underside of the dash by the steering column that was discussed in a previous thread. Haven't noticed it before and as a newbie, I sure have spent a fair amount of time just sitting in the car. Any updates/thoughts on a possible cause?

I appreciate the knowledge and sharing that I've seen on this forum and am happy to be part of the community.

Best regards,

Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm listening in on this one as well... The indicators are glaringly bright while driving....grrrrrrr
Was wondeeing about pulling the cluster and seeing what could be done to dim them a little, but ran across a few threads hinting that the removing it might engage the anti theft system?

Vince

Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The noise from under the dash is some sort of cooling fan form the nav screen and all that stuff.

As for the high beam and foglight indicators, they are nice and bright just like all the regulators want them. I would be reluctant to screw with them given the integrated nature of the dash. I suppose it all comes down to how brave you are.

You could take the Finnish rally driver approach, black duct tape. When rally cars started getting sophisticated and expensive, the teams started putting big bright red lights to tell the driver to stop when things were going wrong in an attempt to limit the damage. After yet another car got trashed one of the mechanics realised that his big bright light had been covered by the big dim driver using tape. On questioning the driver he shrugged and said, "The bright light was bothering my eyes so I dealt with it and kept driving".

Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
The noise from under the dash is some sort of cooling fan form the nav screen and all that stuff.

As for the high beam and foglight indicators, they are nice and bright just like all the regulators want them. I would be reluctant to screw with them given the integrated nature of the dash. I suppose it all comes down to how brave you are.
Pulled many a cluster in my time, so the task itself is not daunting at all. I'm far more worried about the car going into vehicle lockdown over a simple R&R(Remove and Replace) of the same cluster. Wonder if anyone here can confirm it to be an issue.

Other inhibitors I have worked with in the past simply looked for the digital serial number of the part to match the one stored in the systems memory, so R&R of the same unit was never an issue. Sounds like the Jags might be a bit different?

I don't want to kill the LED, just dim it a bit more, as I have very light sensitive eyes. At night I drive with the cluster at the lowest possible settings (yet visible), the center screen "off" and often the rear-view and side mirrors angled down thanks to idiot teens in cars and 4x4's behind me. The High Beam indicator is so painful to me I must drive with my hand on the wheel in a odd position blocking it from sight.

If I can pull the cluster without issue, I will simply add a resistor to dim it to about half its intensity, or even consider a droplet of black paint on just the tip to lower the glow.

My night vision is way above average, but it comes with a serious down side....."Light = Pain"..... so I'd like to tackle this without using electrical tape...

Vince

Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

You can always use pieces of neutral density film found at photographic stores.

And it's not always teens ... there are also the idjits that think DRL's are free automatic headlights, the idjits who were never taught that there is such a thing as dimming, and then the idjits who think they can do anything they want. Including pulling up with high beams on behind a police car driven by someone who does not care to get out and write a well deserved ticket.

The following users liked this post:
ronev (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The purpose of proper grammar, spelling, punctuation and
formatting is to convey information in an understandable manner."

Thank you, plums.