XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Disassemble Carbon Canister

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 12:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Apologies, I didn't know if the part was plastic or metal. You will need to drop the tank to remove the tube, yes? You certainly can't weld around a gasoline tank.

Regardless of whether or not you understand the canisters impact on fuel efficiency, it is part of the emissions system and does improve fuel efficiency when working properly, or better stated, fuel consumption worsens when the canister is not functioning properly. The fuel vapors your car usually uses for combustion will end up vented through the EVAP canister instead. This means your car will not use fuel efficiently, and instead wastes gasoline.

Bottom line is you say you have no issues other than your issue at fill up.

You are looking for a problem that doesn't exist IMO, or if the canister is bad, the solution is one you don't want to undertake. I wouldn't either my friend. Focus on doing the job as directed in the workshop manual, not a workaround.

I assume you don't have to pass any emissions standard. If you do, you could simply take it to an inspection site and test it.

No codes, no gas odor, no bad mileage, no misfires, no poor idle. My money is on it's a gas pump issue.

Did you try compressed air?
Did you try disconnecting the purge valve in the engine bay? Purge valves are often a problem. If you disconnect the hose leading into the purge valve, that should eliminate back pressure I think (don't know for certain) but then at fill up, fumes would vent to the air I think. If that's the case the purge valve maybe the issue. If no vapor s getting to the valve, your problem is prolly the canister.
There's nothing to excuse man. It is normal that you do not know the material of the tube if you have not had this problem.
The tube is made of metal and can obviously be disassembled so that it can be modified outside the car.
You are right that the correct action would be to replace what is really causing the problem, but I would put a part equal to the one I currently have installed and in a short time the problem would return.
So that you understand me I give you the example of the duckbill of the air conditioning that is covered and only fixed by cutting it, so it is time to modify things to improve it.
The day Jaguar engineers designed this car either they didn't get paid overtime or the contract ended ... and that's how the project ended.
Going back to the topic of filling the tank ... looking at the PDF scheme that Graham put in, it is perfectly clear that tube number 6 is the one that goes from the tank to the carbon canister and I think that depending on the times we fill the tank to the maximum per This tube can pass some amount of gasoline and cover the carbon.
If the charcoal canister were located at a higher height this would never happen.
Anyway, I do not think that this only happens to me and that is why I consider it a bad design, but that if I have to admit ... it is a very nice car 😂😂😂
When I have little gas in the tank and time to make the modification I will.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:43 PM

..... Did you try compressed air?
Did you try disconnecting the purge valve in the engine bay? Purge valves are often a problem. If you disconnect the hose leading into the purge valve, that should eliminate back pressure I think (don't know for certain) but then at fill up, fumes would vent to the air I think. If that's the case the purge valve maybe the issue. If no vapor s getting to the valve, your problem is prolly the canister.
Of course I have passed air everywhere, I already said it before.
In my opinion, the purge valve only acts to send the gases to the intake while the engine is running and if it is in bad condition it would send a failure in the evap system. So when we are filling the tank everything depends on the aeration pipes from the tank to the carbon canister and from this to the filler neck and there is no valve in between.

Last edited by GGG; 02-24-2021 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Insert Start QUOTE code
Old 02-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Jomiltom
Of course I have passed air everywhere, I already said it before.
In my opinion, the purge valve only acts to send the gases to the intake while the engine is running and if it is in bad condition it would send a failure in the evap system. So when we are filling the tank everything depends on the aeration pipes from the tank to the carbon canister and from this to the filler neck and there is no valve in between.
Same here. No other symptoms, no codes, no odor, passed inspection....

I looked into the purge valve also and the function described in the Jaguar docs state it is only used when the engine is running. BUT it's easy enough to disconnect it and try to refuel. It's right there on the left side of the engine......

Old 02-24-2021, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by shemp
Same here. No other symptoms, no codes, no odor, passed inspection....

I looked into the purge valve also and the function described in the Jaguar docs state it is only used when the engine is running. BUT it's easy enough to disconnect it and try to refuel. It's right there on the left side of the engine......
Thanks. I will test it the next time I have the tank quite empty even if I only refuel 4 liters to test, since my idea is to empty the tank completely to be able to make the modification of the filling tube.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jomiltom:
Sean W (02-24-2021), shemp (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I will test it the next time I have the tank quite empty even if I only refuel 4 liters to test, since my idea is to empty the tank completely to be able to make the modification of the filling tube.
Also I want to send my borescope down there to take a look... Mine is so bad that something is totally blocked. I think we will all find out it is the canister eventually. It's just odd that mine "fixed" itself for about 6 months. Makes me want to think it's something else....

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

just throwing out ideas in hopes something sticks. I suppose if the purge valve is opening, it's fine, just no vapor to reintroduce to the engine and filling up with the car off should just vent to the atmosphere. It's just odd that your cars are otherwise functioning normally. It would drive me nuts too. It happened to me a few times in succession, I just pulled the nozzle out and haven't had a problem since. I wish it were that easy for you.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:10 AM

just throwing out ideas in hopes something sticks. I suppose if the purge valve is opening, it's fine, just no vapor to reintroduce to the engine and filling up with the car off should just vent to the atmosphere. It's just odd that your cars are otherwise functioning normally. It would drive me nuts too. It happened to me a few times in succession, I just pulled the nozzle out and haven't had a problem since. I wish it were that easy for you.
When the engine is stopped, must the bleed valve be open or closed?

Old 02-25-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

When the engine is stopped, must the bleed valve be open or closed?
GGG (I think) posted a Jag PDF of the operation of the evap system and it described how the valve worked. But I can't find it! I think I have it saved on my tablet at home but it's somewhere in one of these threads related to the pump shutoff!

If I get some more time, I'll take a better look.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
GGG (I think) posted a Jag PDF of the operation of the evap system ......
If it was one I posted, it would most likely be a relevant extract from the Workshop Manual. I made the manuals available for download in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...guides-215509/

Graham