XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Disaster, XKR totalled in low speed accident...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Insurance company has decided to total the car. I am waiting for a valuation and may hold off on hiring an appraiser until I see what number they come back with... Looks like mid 70's is correct for a 2010 coupe with select edition warranty and only 10k miles. If they come in significantly lower then I'll reevaluate.

Regarding valuation, what do you think 10k less mileage is worth? I've found comps for $70k with twice my mileage: Used 2010 Jaguar XK XKR For Sale | San Jose CA .

Assuming this is a comp they'll accept, how much more is an identical car worth that has 10k fewer miles? Like $1,000 per 1,000 miles?

Thanks again for all the sympathy and advice,

Skeeter

Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
I did a quick look at autotrader.com and 2010 XKRs (2) nationwide were going for around $70K. My guess is that the insurance company may decide to fix your car instead of totalling it. If they decide to go that route, then try to get a reduced valuation claim.
Autotrader.com does not seem to be able to classify XKR's correctly. Try searching for "2010 XK Series" and then put "XKR" in the "search terms" box. You may find many more 2010 XKRs than you first thought!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 PM

Looked through Autotrader, but dont recall seeing any that were Select Edition warrantied...

I'll double check, thanks or the tip.

Ok, just double checked, looked for all 2010 XKR's and XK's. Closest I could find has 13,500 miles and costs $70k. Looks like $70 is the low water mark. Otherwise all have 20,000+ miles and are priced at $70,000.

Waiting to hear from appraiser with insurance...

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 07-11-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
I saw that on Ebay and I swore it was yours! Didn't you just paint those calipers? Why do that right before selling it? Are you mad?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Stand your ground! Posts 4 and 6 on this forum had some useful advice: JagFORUM Logon
OK, sorry about the bad link. Instead, here's what Bob said: Little story. When my 1992 series III Canadian limited edition V-12
Black Cherry was hit and written off by a woman on a cell phone in
September of last year. The insurance company sent this vehicle
(value) assessor over to argue with me about the value of my car.
First thing that came out of his mouth and it was at the high point
of our get together, ''it is only a Jaguaaaar'' and things went
rapidly downhill from there. Turned out he was only an accredited
Porsche re Volkswagen expert and knew absolutely nothing about
Jags.

Anyway in the process of attempting to promote his own self
importance, he started waiving this meter in my face asking me ''do
you know what this is'' (it was an el-cheapo paint depth meter) I
just reached for mine and handed it to him saying ''hey use this
one, the reading will be far more accurate than using that little
toy of yours. He wanted to prove that my claims of the car being
100% original was totally false and that the car had in actual fact
been repainted. I ended up throwing him off my property telling him
never to come back.

The Insurance Company eventually set aside his valuation of $7,000
and settled for about 95% of what I had valued the car at. They
sent me a cheque for a little over $41,000.

and...

To establish a realistic value for your car you have to do your
homework just as if you are going to court. It has to be thorough
and include written testimonials about your cars condition and the
more qualified the people are that you approach for an opinion the
better. Recent sales records of similar cars also hold a lot of
weight. If you have shown the car at anytime your results are very
important. Most of all you have to be extremely stubborn refuse to
be intimidated with all the threats you will receive and just stand
your ground.

I also retained the damaged car as part of my settlement which I
subsequently sold off to somebody prepared to undertake the
restoration of the car. In addition I protested the salvage title
that the Insurance had put on the car. I am now in the process of
having them change that to that of ''repairable'' because under
Canadian law, the damage caused in this accident did not meet the
legislated criteria for a salvage title to have been placed on it
in the first place. I expected them to ask for their money back and
then receive an offer from them to repair the car. In such a case I
would have asked them to point out the appropriate clause in their
offer of settlement contract that covered such a scenario and I
would have most willingly complied. There was no such clause
included.

Oh this Insurance Company just loves me right now.

I hope this is helpful, and hope Bob doesn't mind me sharing this story! I found it very helpful.

Last edited by mrlovt; 07-11-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: link didn't work
Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I saw that on Ebay and I swore it was yours! Didn't you just paint those calipers? Why do that right before selling it? Are you mad?
HA HA...ha

Another one! AN XKR175! They may still have it for sale...

Jaguar : XKR 2dr Cpe XKR1 Jaguar : XKR 2dr Cpe XKR1 | eBay

Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Skeeter, Not sure why my post didn't show up yesterday responding to how to evaluate a difference in mileage. My suggestion is to go edmunds, nada, kbb or other online used car valuation sites. Put in the spec of your car twice, once each for the two different mileages then see what the cost difference is at the various sites. You can use highest value, average of the differenct sites, whatever suits your argument or postion with adjuster. Be interesting to see what that tells you.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Okay, there is something I'm wondering. Let's say your car was repairable for say 40K. Okay, so the insurance pays the bill and you are on the road again. So, then, a week later, you decide to sell it. Your price and good value is $70K. Oh,oh, who pulled the CarFax? The car has been involved in a fairly major accident. The value now may be $40K, if you can find anyone that wants to buy a car such a collision.
So, does the insurance cover this?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
Okay, there is something I'm wondering. Let's say your car was repairable for say 40K. Okay, so the insurance pays the bill and you are on the road again. So, then, a week later, you decide to sell it. Your price and good value is $70K. Oh,oh, who pulled the CarFax? The car has been involved in a fairly major accident. The value now may be $40K, if you can find anyone that wants to buy a car such a collision.
So, does the insurance cover this?
No, insurance does not cover this. I have been in this situation. That's why you get an appraiser and seek to be remunerated for diminished value. That's why when you get rear-ended in your 100K auto, and the idiot that was driving the POS Chevrolet or GM or Ford walks up and eventually says, "hey - it will be ok. Insurance will fix it." No, insurance doesn't fix everything. In fact, with these and other high end cars, once they're wrecked, their value is greatly diminished.

I know a lawyer that bought a $125K Porsche 911 some years ago and on the way home (yes, on the way home from dealer to his house) a POS Chrysler 300 rear ended him and did about $25K of damage. His Porsche was forever known as a "wreck" and there was basically *nothing* he could do to the other driver. To add insult to injury, the other person's insurance was Geico (the *ABSOLUTE WORST* insurance company on the planet to deal with) and - get this - they refused to look at the car unless he took it to one of their repair facilities, and basically stipulated that the repairs had to be done at the repair facility. He wound up subrogating it through his own insurance company. RUN - DO NOT WALK - away from Geico under *ANY* circumstances. The cute little Gecko is not that cute when you find out why they "save" you money.

You can purchase GAP insurance that will cover the difference between the value of the car and what is owed on a lien/loan should it be totaled or stolen and unrecoverable.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Um ... you are aware that Jaguar was developed under Ford leadership 1990-2008, are you not? Ford made some tremendous improvements to the fit/quality and even reliability of the cars during their ownership of the marque. It's OK to give Ford a little credit; not all of their cars are crap!

Originally Posted by rscultho
That's why when you get rear-ended in your 100K auto, and the idiot that was driving the POS Chevrolet or GM or Ford walks up and eventually says, "hey - it will be ok. Insurance will fix it." No, insurance doesn't fix everything.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why not keep or buy the vehicle?

Sorry to here about your accident. The important thing is that you are ok. You can always get another one. Please find out how much your insurance company wants to let you keep the car. If it's less than what I, or someone else would pay for it you could put some extra money in your pocket. I could easily give you a bid I just need to look at a few pictures.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WldCat
Um ... you are aware that Jaguar was developed under Ford leadership 1990-2008, are you not? Ford made some tremendous improvements to the fit/quality and even reliability of the cars during their ownership of the marque. It's OK to give Ford a little credit; not all of their cars are crap!
Can't wait to get out of my POS Ford and back into a Jag!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Can't wait to get out of my POS Ford and back into a Jag!

Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WldCat
I'm well aware of the cash infusion Ford made into Jag in 1993, and the 2.5 Billion pound factory Ford paid for in Castle Bromwich. I am aware of the sharing of technology in the mid to late 90's and the subsequent adoption by Ford of Jaguar designs and styling around 2000 up until they sold them. Jaguar presence is still present in Ford products today.

I own an F250. I have always maintained it and even though it is 12 years old, it's in good shape and is not a POS.

I did not say ALL CARS from Ford (or the other makers) are POS's. You are aware that a car can be a POS from everything from initial make to how an owner lets it go and it becomes a POS.

However, I don't know of any Ford, GM, or Chevy cars that cost 100K - perhaps with the exception of the Ford GT.

Are there any?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 PM

Ford GT speaks for itself. However, Ford also sponsored the Jaguar F1 team and world-famous Cosworth engines 1998-2004. And let's not forget the XJ220 ... short-lived and overpriced as it was.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Quick update...

As previously posted, initially my insurance company indicated that the car was reparable, and estimated cost of repairs at $40k. Needless to say I was not happy, but politely waited for them to formalize this proposal.

Thankfully, after running the numbers, they changed positions and declared the car totaled. Whew... The last thing I wanted was a Frankenstein'd together XKR, even if artfully done my resale would have been killed.

The appraiser who examined the car and spoke to me said to tell whoever called me to give me a quote on replacement value about the fact that the car is a Select Edition car, since this fact does not decode from the VIN and is not in the title documents.

So, a week ago I got a call from the very polite appraiser. He offered $66k to replace the car. I politely told him about the Select Edition warranty and the fact that ALL S.E. XKR's are listed on Jaguarusa.com and that there is none to be had with anything near the 11k miles my car had, and cars with 22k+ miles are listed at $70K.

Not understanding what S.E. is, he tried to tell me to contact the warranty company and get a refund for the remainder of the warranty. I had to explain that S.E. warranties can NOT be purchased separately by the owner, but is an expense borne by the dealer and the warranty is tied to the car, not separately paid for by the buyer like a 'normal' extended warranty would be.

Gave him the phone #'s for Jaguarusa and my service advisor, who could verify the S.E. status of the car from the VIN. Also explained that my car was put into service @ the end of August 2010, meaning the warranty started at the end of the year.

I spoke to a salesman @ the dealership and he opined that $75k was a fair but not extreme number and that he'd have a hard time replacing my car for less, especially from a seller within 3-400 miles of San Francisco.

The appraiser said he would investigate and get back to me. Last Friday (7/13/12) informing me that his supervisor told him to have a "formal desk appraisal" done on my car, whatever that is, and to expect to hear from me yesterday. Sent an email today after not hearing from him, he apologized and said he'd have the report done today and that it slipped through the cracks...

No word back yet, though I did email him that $75k seems like a fair number based on comps and lower mileage. I will get an appraisal if he comes back lower, I really don't think I can replace my ride for less.

I should hear back soon, so let's see if this resolves amicably or gets kicked down a gear towards me having a formal appraisal done and going (hopefully amicably) from there.

I hate pushing back against my insurance company, they've been more than fair in the past over little things over the years. But if 23k mile cars are all going for $70k, $75k seems hard to argue.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, I'll keep the thread updated!

Skeeter

Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  19.3 KB

Keep at it Skeeter................Good luck and be sure to lt us know

Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 AM

PLEASE don't start apologizing for trying to get fair replacement value for your car! My goodness.

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Quick update...

I hate pushing back against my insurance company, they've been more than fair in the past over little things over the years. But if 23k mile cars are all going for $70k, $75k seems hard to argue.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:32 PM

I have yet to receive the 'formal' report, but just got a voice mail from the appraiser indicating a replacement value of... $70k.

A bit of a let down. Like I said, the only 2010 XKR Certified Edition on the west coast or near are asking $70k with 22k+, rather than my 11k miles.

Really, how much am I likely to get them to move? What do you all think? I suspect that even with a counter appraisal I'd get little movement. At least they came up from $66k to $70k, that's good. And they do cover CA transfer tax and some other misc. stuff...

Not thrilled @ the offer, but not insulted. May need to sleep on it and consider the sage advice of my fellow board members before making a decision.

Hm.

Skeeter

Quick Reply: Disaster, XKR totalled in low speed accident...