XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Disaster, XKR totalled in low speed accident...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Skeeter, did you try the different valuation sites entering the lower mileage of your car and then the 22k mileage of the closest comparison. If you do this with KBB, NADA, Edmunds, you should be able to make a case for some extra money. I wouldn't give up at this point.

P.S. I just ran 10k and 22k mileage used 2010 XKR's through KBB used car valuation. The differnce in price for a car in excellent condition was $2,825. I don't know if you can squeeze any more out of them, but you can try. The listing prices for other cars like yours are also not their selling prices. You would expect some discount from the listed price, but maybe not. The only thing you can do is make the argument or hire the appraiser if you want to fight for some extra bucks.

Last edited by jaguny; 07-18-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: P.S. added text
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

At least, they are getting quite close to replacement price. Looking up Cars.com, there is only one car with similar mileage as well as with the SE warranty. Of course, for a rare car, such as the XKR, you have to be flexible to travel to get one. CA cars tend to cost a few thousands more every time.

Used 2010 Jaguar XK - in 95664 Area - on Cars.com

If it was me, I'd take the money and go for a 2013 since it appears that the 8 speed transmission will be available. That should increase the performance of the car significantly, if done right.

Albert

Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
just got a voice mail from the appraiser indicating a replacement value of... $70k.

A bit of a let down. Like I said, the only 2010 XKR Certified Edition on the west coast or near are asking $70k with 22k+, rather than my 11k miles...At least they came up from $66k to $70k, that's good. And they do cover CA transfer tax and some other misc. stuff...

Skeeter
Hi Skeeter,

I've been away and have not checked this board, so I just learned about your accident. Real sorry to hear that.

I certainly understand your feelings about the difficultity of trying to replace what may have been your perfect car, especially with the low mileage.

On the bright side, as others have commented, no one was hurt - and what is broken can be fixed with money, which is a good thing. And you do get to shop for a Jag again, which can have some pleasures.

When I was looking for mine last year I was very surprised that sources such as Kelly did not give a larger premium for low mileage. The difference in the 07-08's was about $1000 for 10,000 miles. For me, that was too low, so when I was analyzing prices I assigned a value of $3000 for a 10,000 mile change, which is similar to what someone mentioned here when looking at the 2010's.

The problem with pricing these cars is that they are so rare. So different sellers can (and do) assign varying values. But based on the sample of one you presented, it seems the insurance offer is OK. They are offering you $70k cash. The car you are looking at is $70k ask. Could you negotiate them down $3000? Perhaps, and that would cover the 10,000 mile difference.

If it was me, I think I would ask the insurance company for a few thousand more and then take their final offer.

One last thought. Way back in 1983 my 1981 Z28 was stolen. I loved that car and when I got a nice check from the insurance co I wanted to replace it with the exact same thing (which is a lot easier to do with a cookie-cutter car than a XKR). I did get the same car with the same color scheme in and out. In hindsight, a mistake. Go for something a little different, it will make the new car seem like a new car and not just a slightly older version of the first one.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Tony

Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
To add insult to injury, the other person's insurance was Geico (the *ABSOLUTE WORST* insurance company on the planet to deal with) and - get this - they refused to look at the car unless he took it to one of their repair facilities, and basically stipulated that the repairs had to be done at the repair facility. He wound up subrogating it through his own insurance company. RUN - DO NOT WALK - away from Geico under *ANY* circumstances. The cute little Gecko is not that cute when you find out why they "save" you money.

You can purchase GAP insurance that will cover the difference between the value of the car and what is owed on a lien/loan should it be totaled or stolen and unrecoverable.

I know we are wandering a bit off topic here but I have had Geico for a number of years now and found them to be exceptionally customer oriented. Of course I have not had any catastrophic mishaps in my cars, only a few minor scrapes, but Geico has always been very easy to deal with.

Doug

Old 07-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the loss. I recently totaled my wife's 2006 X after having it for only two months. I was worried about the insurance value since the car was totaled and it was my fault. My insurance company, Electric Insurance, located in MA. took excellent care of me. I was prepared for a fight, but they valued the care at more than I paid for it. They sent me comps of other cars which they used for their appraisal of my car. When it was all over, after my deductable, was subtracted from my reimbursement, I came out with 2K more than I paid for the car. Great insurance company!. I was then lucky enough to find another 2006, same spec, with only 44K miles on it. The dealership, Jag of North Scottsdale, AZ (a Penske) dealership made me a great deal. My first jag also was from a Penske owned Honda dealership. My original X with 78K cost me $12,500. My current X with 44K cost me $13,500. Again, very pleased with how I was treated at Penske. Good luck with the insurance and finding a replacement.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like I'll accept the revised $70k appraisal. Like I said before, they add in some nice extras like taxes, unused registration, etc, so the total check should be over $76k. Considering I paid just a touch over $70k when I bought it nearly a year ago, drove it cross country and on some never-to-be forgotten road trips (Monterrey, Los Angeles...) and clocked ~7k miles on her, I think my insurance company is taking care of me pretty well. Granted, I still can't find a comparable car at $70k (all cars @ that price have twice the miles), but as was pointed out, those cars with 20k+ miles were @ $70k as the _asking_ price, so I'm ok with $70k plus the extras.

Will probably take a few months off, revert to my awful commuter car for a spell to get my humility back and mourn the loss of one magnificent cat. She'll live on in memory forever.

Skeeter

Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I know we are wandering a bit off topic here but I have had Geico for a number of years now and found them to be exceptionally customer oriented. Of course I have not had any catastrophic mishaps in my cars, only a few minor scrapes, but Geico has always been very easy to deal with.

Doug
That has been my parents' experience as well, but I have just had a friend with GEICO who got in a not at fault accident. GEICO says it's easier for them to just blame my friend for the accident and not go into arbitration, basically throwing my friend under the bus in the name of making their job easier. When my friend asked to speak to a supervisor, the agent YELLED at them.

I switched from GEICO last September to Amica after 5+ years with them, and I am better for it. GEICO is trash insurance.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Will probably take a few months off, revert to my awful commuter car for a spell to get my humility back and mourn the loss of one magnificent cat. She'll live on in memory forever.

Skeeter
Glad you were able to resolve this. It seems to me you came out of a bad situation about as well as could be expected.

I wonder if the F-Type or new XK might be introduced in time for you, with the prospect of a new model (car) helping to ease your pain???

Bruce

Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Skeeter, sounds like a reasonable resolution, although no pain and suffering monies. Could have been a worse outcome. Shopping is next on the to do list!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Skeeter,

Good to have that resolved. Now for the fun part - looking at potential XKR's. I know you want one with low miles, so this might be one to look at. It's in California, at a Jag Dealer, a 2010 XKR Convertible, 2500 miles, 75K. Since your R was a couple and your 8 a vert, a change back to ragtop might be worthwhile.

2010 Jaguar XK XKR, $74,990 - Cars.com

Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Havebook
Hi Skeeter,

Good to have that resolved. Now for the fun part - looking at potential XKR's. I know you want one with low miles, so this might be one to look at. It's in California, at a Jag Dealer, a 2010 XKR Convertible, 2500 miles, 75K. Since your R was a couple and your 8 a vert, a change back to ragtop might be worthwhile.

Spectacular car, with a slightly better price waiting to be negotiated. Love the colour scheme

Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like you did OK Skeeter. You know this story points out one problem that insurance doesn't deal with. If you have an accident and the car is repaired, you lose big on resale due to Carfax. That lost resale value is never factored in by insurance. Wish there was a solution for that.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Havebook
Hi Skeeter,

Ooo. That has the dynamic cruise too. I know lots of people have hated on it, but I really like it. Great stuff for highway driving. Hell, I even use it on 35 MPH roads where I want to drive faster but don't want a ticket. It is a great piece of electronics.