XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Does Jaguar USA read these forum posts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Suffice it to say that the vast majority of Jag XK owners do not have fiances. I have no issues with their advertising being restricted to special media events and/or high end mags. After all, its not a Mazda.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Hard truth is that the GenX adults....(born 1960 to 1980) just don't have the funds or finances to buy into the premium Jaguar brand or any other. It's the baby boomers 1946 to 1964 and beyond that have the funds to buy these cars. Any other younger people that own Jaguars are either very financially secure for some reason and not the average end user or they were bought/given the cars from their wealthy parents (Mom & Dad).

While Jaguar marketing has improved since the introduction of the Jaguar XF back in 2010-2011, there can be NO comparisons between the Jaguar brand and a Mazda brand.

There is no correlation between the 2 and they don't even come close to the price points between the 2 auto brands.

Yes, the Mazda Miata has been a very popular car, attracting both younger and female drivers, but the price point of the Miata is what made it attractive along with both size and function. Nothing more.

Jaguar has always been a premium brand and the way I see it, Porsche is one of there biggest competitors. While Porsche had a true sports type car for so many years, the Jaguar brand styles were fitted more towards the 4 door style. Yes, there was the XK-E and early XK8's, but yet the premium price points certainly made it difficult for younger drivers to afford the brand.

With the introduction of the F-Type, and other premium priced models going forward, the average younger buyer with average salary's here in the USA will not be able to afford these cars. Most GenX individuals are those that have increased debt levels, high student loan obligations from the college days, children (usually more than 2), larger homes, and are the typical soccer moms. Their demographics of financial well being is just not there. GenY (1980 to 2000) is even worse off financially usually strapped with high student loan obligations, and are seeking employment with a very tough employment environment and slow US economy.

So we must face reality that the Jaguar brand as well as other premium auto brands will continue to serve the Baby Boomer and Senior demographic sector.

After spending 31 years in the financial services industry (Wall Street) it was the age 50+ that had the funds to invest. Most people under the age of 50 are still strapped with debt, sending kids to college and many are still under water on home mortgages and don't have money to invest.

The creation of wealth comes after age 50+ for most people when they become empty nesters and most debt structure has been eliminated.

So unless your wealthy, or Mom and Dad bought the Jaguar for you, we won't be seeing the younger people driving these premium auto brands.

It's us older people that have worked hard, saved for the future and are financially secure that we can go out buy one of these beauties and put down cash to make the purchase.

Our mindset of saving and investing has been so different from those of GenX or GenY Americans.

The following users liked this post:
Ngarara (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I agree, Rich - I think there are not a huge number of people out there who can afford to buy an XK new; I certainly couldn't justify it. And the XK is not a car for the more 'flashy' end of the market; they want more bling. Jaguar's brand ethos is more towards conservative than wild, though they have been trying to cultivate a bit more 'edge' in their advertising, not always successfully.

But it is dangerous to categorise the 'typical' Jag buyer. I am a long way from conservative in my tastes, lifestyle and politics, but I bought an XJ-S when I was 29 because I wanted a fast, powerful but stylish and comfortable car (it was a toss-up between the XJ-S and the 635csi). And I've liked Jags since I was a kid, when the E-Type was the style icon.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have received 3 email reply's to my email.

1. As to stopping production of the xk's or any new product I was told they have no official information to that subject. I was advised to register on the update information format at Jaguar USA so that when anything official comes out on new production they will email you.

2. As to Jaguar reading the Jaguar Forum, they do not. I was told they would send that info over to marketing as a suggestion. I was also informed that they always monitor JaguarUSA.com and Jag-lovers.org. I checked Jag-lovers and they have been around since 1993 and it is a forum also. So there is the follow up.

I will say I have had great success with emailing Jaguar USA and they have always responded and even twice they called me to help out which they did. I had to use Jaguar road side once and then the next day I got a phone call as to my satisfaction with Jaguars service. They do follow up. So as to the stopping production of the xk's I guess we have to wait for the company line on that but still monitor the auto writers with their contacts in the industry for their take on it.

We just have to go with the flow and be proud to have what we have.....beautiful Jag's!!!