XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Door dings , a California thing? How do you fight it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Door dings , a California thing? How do you fight it?

So I just have to vent . When I lived in the Midwest I could go for years without door dings . In comparison in California seems like ppl are careless. As soon as I start using xkr as daily driver , go to the beach a few weekends, I get door dings. wtf? Is it really that difficult not to hit another's person car when opening a door? If I park farther away , there is always some smart *** that will park right next to my car.. I can't win here ... 😤😑😐

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:38 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

I find that in this 'its all about me' age; carelessness is rampant.
...stoking the fire.

And to answer the question: park it far, far away from the mediocre;-)

G.

The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
Cee Jay (11-19-2019), ralphwg (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

A subject that has been covered on various forum threads! I assure you though, it is an issue that is not limited to your location alone. Additionally, I have found it to be an issue throughout my life as a driver.
Too often, it seems, others are not aware of the value of a vehicle. Though I sometimes complain some cars park across multiple parking spaces, I also understand why they do it. I'm even guilty of doing that myself on occasion.
BTW, as others may tell you, parking in a remote location makes no difference as it appears to be a magnet to park next door!
I feel your pain brother.

Queen and Country (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Yep, the sweet spot is between a curb on one side and a brand new any-car on the other.

Park too far away and jerks who like being jerks will be jerks to your car on purpose. Park too close and you will get dinged by a different set of jerks who don't think they're jerks and don't care that they're jerks to your car. Bunch of jerks....

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (11-19-2019), V7Sport (11-21-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

I guess I'm just glad I don't see when it happens, to my and their sake Otherwise I do feel like I would punch them in the face.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexJag
When I lived in the Midwest I could go for years without door dings . In comparison in California seems like ppl are careless.
It's probably the same California nut jobs that just blindly cross a street and expect you to stop! Careless, and self-important. Think we could do our species a favor, and raise the overall intelligence level, by NOT stopping for those idiots.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

There is ONE thing about California that promotes door dings..... all the parking lots are smaller and more compact than nearly every other state. Parked cars are closer together and since less actual spaces, the ones there are packed full.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Protect your car. Use ding repellent.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132520729998

V7Sport (11-21-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Cee Jay is on to something. California allows for a higher percentage of what are called compact spaces which are much smaller than a normal space. Plus, many property owners will during a restriping of a parking lot, cheat and make the spaces even narrower than permissible by code, just to be able to squeeze a few extra spaces into the lot. I have seen this on so many occasions that there are certain parking lots that I won't even attempt to park in because there is no way to avoid door dings.

Cee Jay (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

This an additional reason I am installing a Dash Cam this week. Primary reason is I was hit by a little old lying woman in a Prius several months ago and she claimed that I cut her off. No footage or photos so I ended up eating the deductible. No more!!

pwpacp (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I do feel like I would punch them in the face.

I feel your pain. Its a terrible feeling not being able to have something you worked for, just because the other person does not care.
You want to kick them in the gut before they get out of the car, and if its an adult you want to slam his head in the doorjamb.

But...What you need to do is just have a separate car for door dings ( I do), and not drive the good car to crowded parking lots.

Its a wrestling match for obese people to get out of the car, they have huge hearts and dont even know they hit your car. They are in a mini state of panic at that time and they push that door almost off the hinge. Now imagine if its an overweight woman also concerned with appearing dignified. (just believe me, fortune 50 company, parking garage access to execs only, and door dings that go up and down, as heavy folks get out of the car)

Parking far back has 2 advantages, you know the out of shape or those with tons of bags are not going to walk that far, and in general those spots by logic cant get the same turnover as the spots upfront, so half the likelihood of getting dinged.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

You seem to equate someone parking next to you when you park far with having gotten door dings from them?

Or does it just annoy you when you see a car parked next to you?

Ever think that a caring person might park next to a far parked car, in order to have one side protected, and in order to protect one side for you?

Old 11-20-2019, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
..........................Ever think that a caring person might park next to a far parked car, in order to have one side protected, and in order to protect one side for you?
Nope. I have noticed it's usually the junked out heaps that park too close. My daughter seems to think it's a Pack Mentality, that people have a need to be close to others.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Nope. I have noticed it's usually the junked out heaps that park too close. My daughter seems to think it's a Pack Mentality, that people have a need to be close to others.
What if the old car owner still cars about cars?

I have never gotten door dings from anyone that parks next to me when I park out far.

Cee Jay (11-20-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Another contributing factor is the popularity of SUVs , cross overs, and four door trucks. They are all so much higher than our Jags which are all quite low. The rear doors all have a very sharp lower rear corner. Of course kids sit in these back seats and quite often just throw open the doors when they exit, Parents often don't tell their kids to be careful. So our cars are struck with a corner of the door instead of the straight door edge. I try to stay away from those tall vehicles. How are door dings handled on alloy body cars?

Queen and Country (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivguy
... How are door dings handled on alloy body cars?
I highly recommend David. He fixed two small dings on my XKR, one from the inside and the other from the outside, and it's impossible to see where they were.

Dents & Dings - David Korsen
(770) 560-4348
1815 Hembree Rd #409
Alpharetta, GA 30009
https://dentsdings.com/

That's not my XKR in his Photo Gallery.

P.S. Watch this video.

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-21-2019 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I usually park out in no mans land with any of my cars . I also look for a lone upscale car knowing they parked out there to avoid damage by inconsiderate people. When I drive my beater car I park next to good cars to protect them (at least one side) knowing some people just want to park close just to be an ***. I do leave enough room so there is no chance of a door ding. Just a quirk of mine so maybe the clunker parked next to you is just trying to protect your car. Oh my clunker is an 89 Volvo 740 with 377K on the clock. No rust and a few dings but looks great.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Queen and Country (11-21-2019), Tervuren (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I guess I'm just glad I don't see when it happens, to my and their sake Otherwise I do feel like I would punch them in the face.
I like this solution!

A buddy of mine parked his Maserati in the mall, a lady pulled in right beside him. Her kid jumped out of the car and dinged his fender real good. He got out, pointed it out to the lady, she said "sorry about that, it was an accident". He wasn't having it, instead he insisted on her insurance info. She balked, he threatened to call the cops to file a report, she relented and gave him the info. Claim filed, ding fixed on her dime. This is the good outcome when you catch the perpetrator.

Had a Porsche for 9 years, that thing was a ding magnet, I had the Paintless Dent repair guy on speed dial. He could work magic, I would usually wait until there were a couple of dings in an area as he charged per
panel. The BMW and now Jag no issue at all, knock on wood. I make no effort to park far away and it is my Wife's daily driver and I know for sure she doesn't actively protect by picking protected curb spots or avoiding parking by old beaters.

Queen and Country (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I do what I can. but when dinged, I just call the paintless dent repair guy and get it fixed. I'm not going to not enjoy my car to avoid possible dings.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I feel your pain. Its a terrible feeling not being able to have something you worked for, just because the other person does not care.
You want to kick them in the gut before they get out of the car, and if its an adult you want to slam his head in the doorjamb.

But...What you need to do is just have a separate car for door dings ( I do), and not drive the good car to crowded parking lots.

Its a wrestling match for obese people to get out of the car, they have huge hearts and dont even know they hit your car. They are in a mini state of panic at that time and they push that door almost off the hinge. Now imagine if its an overweight woman also concerned with appearing dignified. (just believe me, fortune 50 company, parking garage access to execs only, and door dings that go up and down, as heavy folks get out of the car)

Parking far back has 2 advantages, you know the out of shape or those with tons of bags are not going to walk that far, and in general those spots by logic cant get the same turnover as the spots upfront, so half the likelihood of getting dinged.
I agree with all the above and would like to add that if you park on the last spot on the right hand side (US) of a far out row, You have the right side next to the curb and your left side with mild exposure since there are many times no one is opening the passenger door it it is a solo driver parking next to you. That and staying in the back rows helps keep the door ding chances down.

ralphwg (11-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Door dings , a California thing? How do you fight it?