Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Door Panel Repair

Is there a fix for this? I have seen it on other XKs besides mine. Thanks

Old 01-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I would search for a reputable automobile upholstery shop for advice. A good one can sometimes perform miracles.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Only fix is for someone to completely remove the leather, clean up all the substrate, then replace the leather.
Not really a difficult job, but somewhat finicky.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I had thought about trying to remove the leather portion from the main card but it does not appear that it was ever meant to do so due to what appears to be molded plastic rivets(of sorts on the back). I also thought about making a small hole in the corner of the leather and injecting some contact adhesive to join the two together again but fear that the leather shrinkage may prevent an adequate fix. Has anyone else ever attempted the adhesive injection method? Or for that matter, ever successfully removed the leather from the main door card?

Old 04-29-2019, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbowen
I had thought about trying to remove the leather portion from the main card but it does not appear that it was ever meant to do so due to what appears to be molded plastic rivets(of sorts on the back). I also thought about making a small hole in the corner of the leather and injecting some contact adhesive to join the two together again but fear that the leather shrinkage may prevent an adequate fix. Has anyone else ever attempted the adhesive injection method? Or for that matter, ever successfully removed the leather from the main door card?
Something like this. Note the modified sprayer using a syringe tip.

I wouldn't want to poke holes thru the leather though. I'm with pwpacp and CeeJay. Go to a Pro. It probably won't cost much.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbowen
I have attempted a fix with limited success using 20 gage syringes and contact adhesive. It's frustrating because your're trying to glue down a delaminated bubble that actually has more than one layer - First leather, then a foam underlayer. The delamination can be both layers. The issue with contact adhesive (especially when it's wet) is that it outgases significantly and can blow the leather layer to bubble up further for hours - Once the gases have leaked out through the leather, it then often won't stick down anyway because the adhesive has completely dried.
I've seen another thread where someone suggested using Elmers glue - I did a test with no success.
Although I managed to get a few bubbles to stick back down using the syringe method and contact adhesive (which incidentally left no perceivable holes in the leather), I agree that it really needs to be removed from the substrate so the surfaces can be accessed for cleaning and re-glue.
This is what I plan to do next weekend.
The plastic rivet looking things are common over these cars - especially in things like the rear lights on the trunk , the overhead console and other places like the doors. They are actually just a melted and formed head on a plastic post. A small nozzle heat gun used carefully over the plastic head will easily soften it. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to reform the plastic into a post by squeezing on the sides of it until it is small enough to lift off whatever it is holding. When re-assembling, just reheat heat and flatten down.

Last edited by forrestgk; 04-30-2019 at 11:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by forrestgk:
kenbowen (05-01-2019), kj07xk (05-01-2019)