XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Driver's door handle button doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023 | 08:44 PM
Default I am having a similar issue.

Originally Posted by fritzthecat
Ok, this is a little embarrassing. First, thanks to everyone who responded with helpful facts and advice. Much appreciated. I figured I had to try something, so I went back and pulled the door handle off using Graham's method, since I was loath to try popping the door panel off again, and whadayaknow?, the wire pulled out of the connector. Now, I know damn well I plugged that thing in before I put the door panel back on, but maybe I didn't get it seated right and it came loose. Now the problem was trying to fish the other half of the connector out of the door, but luckily, with a long skinny screwdriver and long skinny needlenose pliers, and my wife holding the flashlight, I was able to get the connector into the "service" position, plug the wire from the handle back in, this time making sure the little tab locked into the corresponding piece on the other side, and voila! Fixed! What a relief.

Now, some info. I did an experiment. Everything seems to work as designed. Key fob by driver's door, lock, unlock. Key fob by passenger's door, lock, unlock. All good. If you put the key fob by the passenger's door, and try to lock or unlock using the driver's door handle, it will not work. Same with the fob by the driver's door, you can't lock or unlock using the passenger's door handle. If you put the fob on the top of the roof, that must be close enough to either door that they both work. So, where I'm going with this is I'm pretty sure there are antennae in each door that are used to establish proximity with the smart key fob. Here's a page from the service manual that seems to support that theory, page 3395 from that big honkin' 4000 page manual:

Anyhow, figured I'd post this for education. Thanks again to all, car works, wife happy, me relieved. All good!

I got a 2010 XkR the other day. I realized that I am experiencing the same issue. The little black lock button on the exterior door handle is only functioning to lock the vehicle when pressed on the passenger door. It doesn’t do anything on the driver’s door. But the keyless entry to unlock with the driver door handle does work. Was yours not working for everything on the driver door handle or strictly the locking button feature like I’m experiencing?

Old 07-24-2023 | 07:05 AM
|

Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaaaaaag
I got a 2010 XkR the other day. I realized that I am experiencing the same issue. The little black lock button on the exterior door handle is only functioning to lock the vehicle when pressed on the passenger door. It doesn’t do anything on the driver’s door. But the keyless entry to unlock with the driver door handle does work. Was yours not working for everything on the driver door handle or strictly the locking button feature like I’m experiencing?
Mine wasn’t working for both lock and unlock. But, like I said, the connector had come undone. If yours works to unlock when you pull the handle, I think it’s safe to assume the connector is ok, maybe you have a bad switch in the button? If you’re good with tools, and have the inclination, the door handle is not difficult to remove. Then you have to figure out which 2 wires are for the switch and check it with an ohm meter. Graham posted a really good write-up on how to remove the handle. It’s here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-210597/

Old 07-24-2023 | 07:14 AM
|

Also, this poster, x9nov, seems to have the same problem you’re seeing…
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2640235

Old 07-24-2023 | 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Mine unlocks as it should, it just won't lock. Passenger side works fine as although the driver's button has never been abused and is in perfect condition, I reckon it could just be worn out.

Old 07-24-2023 | 12:57 PM

Also, this poster, x9nov, seems to have the same problem you’re seeing…
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2640235
thank you for both of your responses. Obviously it depends on what it truly is, but if it’s the most complicated version if whatever possible issue is causing it, and requires the most parts related to the door handle, what do you think a “Jaguar” mechanic who doesn’t work at an official Jaguar dealership but specializes in working in them and is a reasonably honest mechanic.

I know it’s basically impossible to answer this accurately, but in a given range, what would you consider is reasonable/expectable to pay in the worst case scenario for this?

Old 07-24-2023 | 05:14 PM
|

Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaaaaaag
I know it’s basically impossible to answer this accurately, but in a given range, what would you consider is reasonable/expectable to pay in the worst case scenario for this?
Hoo boy. Good question. Not really sure. I bought the replacement door handle online from Suburban Auto Parts. It was $120. Trouble is, it has to be painted. I wouldn’t know where to start estimating that. Labor wise, I’d guess about an hour to remove and replace the handle. It’s probably less than that, but the shop will probably round it up to an hour. Figure $125/hr shop time. If the handle is truly the problem. HTH.

The following users liked this post:
Jaaaaaaaaaaag (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023 | 08:11 PM

Hoo boy. Good question. Not really sure. I bought the replacement door handle online from Suburban Auto Parts. It was $120. Trouble is, it has to be painted. I wouldn’t know where to start estimating that. Labor wise, I’d guess about an hour to remove and replace the handle. It’s probably less than that, but the shop will probably round it up to an hour. Figure $125/hr shop time. If the handle is truly the problem. HTH.
thanks man. I think that does help me at least get an idea of how this might play out.

Old 07-24-2023 | 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

FYI the entire assembly's the same as the Volvo S80 which's a lot more plentiful and less expensive.

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
fritzthecat (07-25-2023), Jaaaaaaaaaaag (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023 | 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
FYI the entire assembly's the same as the Volvo S80 which's a lot more plentiful and less expensive.
thank you, that’s good info!

The following users liked this post:
McJag222 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023 | 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
That's good to know. Which years?