XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Drivers side window cold issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 09:58 AM
Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Drivers side window cold issues

I drive my 08 XKR pretty much every day. Battery was replaced 8 months ago or so.

When it gets cold outside, enough to make the windows frost up, my drivers side window stops working. When I open the door, it doesn't go down a bit to clear the gasket. It's not an issue of the window being frozen shut. After the car warms up a bit or after a few re-starts it will start working again perfect, no noises or slowness. I've done the 'hold up for 2 seconds etc" reset procedure multiple times. Passenger side window works no problem.

What the heck is going on?

Old 02-11-2020, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Even though you got a new battery "8 months ago or so: and drive your XKR "pretty much every day", I suspect that your battery is not now and probably has never been fully charged. Cold weather adversely affects batteries, so it's no surprise that after the car warms up the window will start working again, even though the battery is in the trunk. You might also have lubricant in the window mechanism that when cold can cause the window to be sluggish

New batteries sit on the retailer's shelf and slowly discharge. Unless your retailer charged it overnight before it was installed, it wasn't fully charged. Your alternator can fully charge it, but short drives around town "pretty much every day" won't cut it. I recommend that you buy a quality battery maintainer, like the CTEK MUS4.3 that I use on my XJ, and use it whenever parked in your garage. It's easy to install using the remote battery terminals in the trunk. See posts ##17 - 21:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:05 PM

Yup I have a CTEK and have used it multiple times. Jag is my DD, I drive it around 50 miles a day to work and back. Maybe I'll run an extension cord out to he driveway and put it on the CTEK overnight when it's cold out. It's gonna be cold tonight so a good test, hopefully I don't forget it and drive off with it connected.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

You'll never drive off with your CTEK connected ... after the first time! Ask me how I know.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
peterv8 (02-12-2020), pwpacp (02-11-2020), Sean W (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts
Old 02-12-2020, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You'll never drive off with your CTEK connected ... after the first time! Ask me how I know.
Funny how some experiences are shared by others of the group. I have a bright yellow rag tied to the cable as a reminder now.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
and if you were to ask me I would give exactly the same answer, and for the same reason.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Beau M
Yup I have a CTEK and have used it multiple times. Jag is my DD, I drive it around 50 miles a day to work and back. Maybe I'll run an extension cord out to he driveway and put it on the CTEK overnight when it's cold out. It's gonna be cold tonight so a good test, hopefully I don't forget it and drive off with it connected.
If your driving it 50 mile a day the battery should be good

Sean W (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
If your driving it 50 mile a day the battery should be good
Unless the battery is tired or defective!

George05 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

True , just replace it simple

Old 02-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

While it's certainly possible that you a defective battery after only a few months and the only symptom is one window failing to work when it gets really cold, I would look to Stuart's second suggestion as more likely the cause. Your lube in the mechanism is dried out and/ or frozen. Batteries will fully charge over time with normal use even if you bought them new and they are slightly under charged. That's what Alternators do so it's not likely the first place I'd personally look, but what the heck.

FWIW - Be careful not to slam your door against that gasket if the window doesn't drop.

So first things first. How did it work this morning and did you have the CTek on it?

It's simple to check battery health - 12.6 volts resting. Check it in the morning before you fire it up with a simple voltmeter. Easier still, at least here in the U.S., take it to an auto parts store. Every parts store around my home (Napa, Autozone, Advance Auto, Orielly's) will load test your battery for free. Go ahead and get that out of the way and eliminate it as a suspect.

Putting your CTek on it overnight and having no issue the next morning isn't a proper diagnostic procedure. But a battery test is certainly. Quick, painless, harmless.

Let us know how you get on Beau.

Last edited by Sean W; 02-12-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:26 PM

OK it lightly frosted overnight. Here is what I did.

Unlocked car with fob. Mirrors extended, everything normal.

Pulled on handle, door was unlocked... but the window would not go down a bit to clear the weatherstripping. I pressed on he glass, making sure it was free and not frozen shut. It was, so opened the door and got inside.

I started the car, no problem at all. However, the driver side window would not respond to the switch on the door. No signs of life. Passenger window ALSO was not working.

I let the car warm up a bit, then tried different combinations of car on/off, locking / unlocking with the fob. No progress.

Then I pulled the drivers door tight enough that the car thought the door was closed. Boom, both windows work no problemo.

So, I have determined my car is haunted.

Last edited by Beau M; 02-18-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Cee Jay (02-20-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Could be the door lock mechanism is on way out any codes ?

Old 02-18-2020, 03:17 PM

No codes in SDD that I can see (except a pesky airbag one). Doors lock and unlock fine, even unlocks with just a pull of the handle (fob in pocket, no button press).

Next time it does it I'm going straight to pull door closed and see what happens. Maybe tomorrow!

George05 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

No codes in SDD that I can see (except a pesky airbag one). Doors lock and unlock fine, even unlocks with just a pull of the handle (fob in pocket, no button press).

Next time it does it I'm going straight to pull door closed and see what happens. Maybe tomorrow!
Thanks for the update.
To be clear, you're saying the windows don't work when the car is cold. Also you note the mirrors open. Do they function otherwise normally when the car is cold (up, down, in out)?

The only commonality I see aside from the window switch back between the left and right window switches is @ the Auxiliary harness connector CA022. see link below. Just type it in the search window and you'll see it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h5buug...Guide.pdf/file

There is of course a Canbus connection but you're not throwing a code.

Something to try besides ensuring a good connection @ the harness, since it only behaves badly when cold and then cooperates when is starts to warm, don't laugh now, but before starting take a hair dryer and focus on that harness for a couple of minutes. Then try it out. Failing that, try the hairdryer on the window switch. Worth a shot. Trying to eliminate cold vs. time. Drivers window, seat and mirrors are connected. You now seem to have a problem on both sides. So when you say the passenger window wasn't working either, is that from the drivers side switch pack or the passenger side switchback or both?

Could also be a poor ground.

Also can you execute a door window motor initialization once it starts working?

Old 02-18-2020, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

I just had a worn wire fixed that would turn on the main cooling fan even came on when i unlocked the car . location was front left headlight loom

Old 02-19-2020, 11:34 AM

Results inconclusive this AM. We had some frost, not much. Probably 30 degrees outside.

Unlocked with fob, mirrors extend no problem. I pushed on the window a bit more than normal to make sure it was free in the track. Heard a little "pop" like it broke free. Opened the door, window worked as normal.

Maybe it was just getting frozen shut somehow, and the car got all confused.

Sean, that pdf is awesome. Do you have one that shows a pinout for the under seat connectors? Trying to hunt down an airbag and heated seat issue

Last edited by Beau M; 02-19-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Results inconclusive this AM. We had some frost, not much. Probably 30 degrees outside.

Unlocked with fob, mirrors extend no problem. I pushed on the window a bit more than normal to make sure it was free in the track. Heard a little "pop" like it broke free. Opened the door, window worked as normal.

Maybe it was just getting frozen shut somehow, and the car got all confused.

Sean, that pdf is awesome. Do you have one that shows a pinout for the under seat connectors? Trying to hunt down an airbag and heated seat issue
No sorry, those come from Topix. You need to count on the kindness of someone with a Topix subscription to post it. There are a couple of guys here that have one. Hopefully they'll find this thread.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Do you have one that shows a pinout for the under seat connectors? Trying to hunt down an airbag and heated seat issue
Will the electrical guide do or do you need more detail? I have attached some of the relevant pages.

Jaguar also do provide reasonably detailed pictures of each connector but there are lots of them so if you know which connector(s) you are interested in I will see if I can find them (some examples are attached).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XKAirbags.pdf (128.1 KB, 53 views)
XKSeats.pdf (164.7 KB, 57 views)
DS003 Heater- seat squab.pdf (24.9 KB, 49 views)
Sean W (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 09:54 AM

Wow thanks! These are great. Hoping to dig into the Jag in a month or two I'll hit you up.

For the heated seat, any idea if its a simple 12V that gets applied to the pads? I have some aftermarket pads I could swap in if I find 12v at the connector. If no voltage at the connector, we have bigger problems

Quick Reply: Drivers side window cold issues