XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Driving Modes

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 12:12 AM
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Driving Modes

My car arrives tomorrow morning around 8AM.
I have a dumb question... When my buddy and I test drove an F Type (that was the only Jag on the dealership lot) and it was in Sport mode, it still autoshifted if the RPMs got too high. I've tried searching the forum here and for youtube videos but haven't found anything that answers my questions.

As per the user manual, "Note: When the transmission is set to permanent manual mode (i.e. using the paddles to change geaer while in Sport mode) and Dynamic mode is selected, trandmission up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver. This means that the transmission will not change a gear automatically, even when the vehicle's rev limit is reached."

Does that mean if you are just in Sport mode it will auto-shift at the rev limit and it's only when Sport and Dynamic are selected at the same time it's totally manual? When does Trac mode come into play?

Old 12-11-2021, 06:20 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB64
My car arrives tomorrow morning around 8AM.
I have a dumb question... When my buddy and I test drove an F Type (that was the only Jag on the dealership lot) and it was in Sport mode, it still autoshifted if the RPMs got too high. I've tried searching the forum here and for youtube videos but haven't found anything that answers my questions.

As per the user manual, "Note: When the transmission is set to permanent manual mode (i.e. using the paddles to change geaer while in Sport mode) and Dynamic mode is selected, trandmission up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver. This means that the transmission will not change a gear automatically, even when the vehicle's rev limit is reached."

Does that mean if you are just in Sport mode it will auto-shift at the rev limit and it's only when Sport and Dynamic are selected at the same time it's totally manual? When does Trac mode come into play?
I never driven an F-Type to know and plus i heard they have a different 8-speed transmission when the XK is only a 6-speed. But for as much as I know about my XKR or for the regular XK, when you an either normal mode or sport mode with or without the dynamic mode on, none of this activates the paddle shifters where it will stay in automatic in either mode selected. BUT on the other hand,if your hand ACCIDENTALLY press down on a paddle shifter enough to activate it and you see 1,2,3,4,5,6, on the center dash console on that screen between the MPH and RPM monitor. that means it's PADDLE SHIFTER TIME!Guess what else?It's gone STAY IN PADDLE SHIFTER MODE FOREVER too! Unless you do this little trick...take it out of drive and put it in neutral and then put it back in either drive or sport mode again and it will turn back into being an automatic😎as long as you leave Mr.Paddles alone.Gotta warn you about that sport mode cause it's red a 🚩 unless you get off to those high gas prices LoL just jk but all of this is the truth about it all if the F-type is kind of setup the same way for its driving mode to relate even tho it have more gears. Another thing,as long as you don't see numbers(1,2,3,4,5,6 for example)or any numbers on that center screen,it means you're still in automatic.

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 12-11-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:31 AM

Yeah the F Type has a different transmission, I was just saying it would shift if over reved. What I typed was from the XK manual.
Now I'm really confused. You're saying if you move the dial to S the paddles aren't activated? I guess I'll find out in a couple of hours

The following users liked this post:
resident_fng (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 06:38 AM

Yeah the F Type has a different transmission, I was just saying it would shift if over reved. What I typed was from the XK manual.
Now I'm really confused. You're saying if you move the dial to S the paddles aren't activated? I guess I'll find out in a couple of hours
i mean idk too much about F-type,but that's how it works for the XK.So if you select "S" for sport mode and don't see any numbers pop up,i think it means you still in automatic cause the automatic mode still works in sport mode for the XK.So Yes,your question is correct!The paddle shifters should not activate when sport mode is selected unless the F-Type is built different where the paddle shifters does activate in sport mode

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 12-11-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

It has nothing to do with being an F-type, if you rev too high it is going to auto shift to keep from engaging the rev limiter.

resident_fng (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
It's gone STAY IN PADDLE SHIFTER MODE FOREVER too! Unless you do this little trick...take it out of drive and put it in neutral and then put it back in either drive or sport mode again and it will turn back into being an automatic😎as long as you leave Mr.Paddles alone.Gotta warn you about that sport mode cause it's red a 🚩 unless you get off to those high gas prices .
Hey Barry, you can pull it out of manual mode using the UP paddle shifter while driving. Just pull it and hold for a few seconds. The car will return to automatic. You can do it while driving, at a stop sign, doesn't matter.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
007XKR (12-13-2021), Barry Leftwich (12-11-2021), guy (12-20-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Hey Barry, you can pull it out of manual mode using the UP paddle shifter while driving. Just pull it and hold for a few seconds. The car will return to automatic. You can do it while driving, at a stop sign, doesn't matter.
I never knew that cause i would always put it in neutral you know and then shift it back to drive

Old 12-11-2021, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

That only works in D not DS...

The following 3 users liked this post by jahummer:
007XKR (12-13-2021), guy (12-20-2021), Sean W (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 02:53 PM

So guys what is "permanent manual mode"? I got the car and did a very short drive... I have to work tonight plus it was raining. I saw what Barry was saying, that putting it in Sport mode doesn't bring up the gears on the display until you use the paddle for the first time. Once the gear display is showing is that when it's in 'permanant manual mode'?

I don't plan on abusing the car or redlining it or anything, I just want to familiarize myself with how everything works. I know the F Type is different (but similar in some ways) and it did shift when my buddy was driving and it was in manual mode. Actually I thought that was a good thing as a protection feature just in case. I'm used to the 5spd in my 944 S and never used a paddle shifter before. I have a lot to learn about the car. Hell, I didn't know how to do a search on the Sirius radio (it has an active account for the car). The cooled seats was kinda cool. I do want to do an exhaust upgrade though. I'm probably going with a Mina exhaust after the holidays. It is a sexy car! Classy and sporty yet understated.

Barry Leftwich (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

It's still an automatic transmission, like any other automatic transmission in nearly every other car made, has the option to manually over ride gear change, sometimes casually referred to as Tiptronic (from Porsche). Howver since it really is still an automatic, it will down shift automatically, even in manual mode, for safety reasons. The primary difference between D and DS is where the shift point RPMs are and what gear it starts from a full stop.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I use these modes every day, some in singular, sometimes a mix, and sometimes all of them!

Dynamic button in shifter console - Makes things a little hotter, I believe by feel the throttle is a bit more responsive. Also supposed to tighten the shock dampeners for stiffer ride. You can manual shift in all modes, including this, however when you manual shift with just dynamic the car will automatically revert to auto shift after about a minute of no paddle activity. Or, if you want to switch back to auto-shift prior to the 1 minute timeout you can hold the right paddle down for couple seconds. This is the case in all modes also.

Sport mode in transmission shifter - This gives you a very aggressive shift point in the tranny, also holds the rev longer. When you first switch to Sport it REALLY holds the rev for better utilization of the powerband. Also downshifts are very aggressive. Don't think it ever hits the last "overdrive" gear on highway. While in S mode if you paddle shift you get a big ole' number with a circle showing your gear in between tach and speedometer. The tranny will not default back to auto-shift, once you hit paddle you are now in manual shift only. To exit manual shift you have to hold the right paddle for 2 seconds or so.

Trac/DSC - In any mode, regular, Sport, Dynamic or Sport+Dynamic combined, hold the button in quick press and you get one level of stability disabled. Hold it for (10 seconds?) and you will get a message that it is fully disabled.

I will say, I know the XK is not an insane vehicle like the XKR, but it will get your adrenaline pumping if you turn on Dynamic, enable Sport, and quick-click the stability control all the while using paddles shifters. This is my favorite mode of driving, if you really get on it you will be the neighborhood douche so I turn all the stuff off when I get into the hood.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
It's still an automatic transmission, like any other automatic transmission in nearly every other car made, has the option to manually over ride gear change, sometimes casually referred to as Tiptronic (from Porsche). Howver since it really is still an automatic, it will down shift automatically, even in manual mode, for safety reasons. The primary difference between D and DS is where the shift point RPMs are and what gear it starts from a full stop.
I remember back when the 959 came out, all the car magazine were talking about was the Tiptrinic transmission. I know it's always an automatic, I wasn't sure what the manual was saying when it stated 'permanant manual'... sounded like it wouldn't shift even at an RPM rev limit and you had to manually shift.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by tampamark
I use these modes every day, some in singular, sometimes a mix, and sometimes all of them!

Dynamic button in shifter console - Makes things a little hotter, I believe by feel the throttle is a bit more responsive. Also supposed to tighten the shock dampeners for stiffer ride. You can manual shift in all modes, including this, however when you manual shift with just dynamic the car will automatically revert to auto shift after about a minute of no paddle activity. Or, if you want to switch back to auto-shift prior to the 1 minute timeout you can hold the right paddle down for couple seconds. This is the case in all modes also.

Sport mode in transmission shifter - This gives you a very aggressive shift point in the tranny, also holds the rev longer. When you first switch to Sport it REALLY holds the rev for better utilization of the powerband. Also downshifts are very aggressive. Don't think it ever hits the last "overdrive" gear on highway. While in S mode if you paddle shift you get a big ole' number with a circle showing your gear in between tach and speedometer. The tranny will not default back to auto-shift, once you hit paddle you are now in manual shift only. To exit manual shift you have to hold the right paddle for 2 seconds or so.

Trac/DSC - In any mode, regular, Sport, Dynamic or Sport+Dynamic combined, hold the button in quick press and you get one level of stability disabled. Hold it for (10 seconds?) and you will get a message that it is fully disabled.

I will say, I know the XK is not an insane vehicle like the XKR, but it will get your adrenaline pumping if you turn on Dynamic, enable Sport, and quick-click the stability control all the while using paddles shifters. This is my favorite mode of driving, if you really get on it you will be the neighborhood douche so I turn all the stuff off when I get into the hood.
Thanks for the explanation. My drive was a very short one, and I didn't put it in Dynamic mode. It is a classy looking car from the side, and a beast from the back! It'll be interesting when I can play around with the other modes. Offhand and right now I'd have to say the 944 S handles a little better and is quicker/tighter in the turns, but the XK is a much nicer car.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Howver since it really is still an automatic, it will down shift automatically, even in manual mode, for safety reasons.
That is correct for the 4.2 but not the 5 litre. The 5 litre just bangs off the rev limiter:

"Note: When the transmission is set to
permanent manual mode (i.e. using the
paddles to change gear while in Sport mode)
and Dynamic mode is selected, transmission
up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver.
This means that the transmission will not change up
a gear automatically, even when the vehicle's
rev limit is reached. When the rev limit is
reached, the gear position indicator in the
message centre will glow amber, to indicate
that the next gear should be selected."

The following 4 users liked this post by u102768:
Cee Jay (12-11-2021), jahummer (12-12-2021), ralphwg (12-12-2021), Sean W (12-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by u102768
That is correct for the 4.2 but not the 5 litre. The 5 litre just bangs off the rev limiter:

"Note: When the transmission is set to
permanent manual mode (i.e. using the
paddles to change gear while in Sport mode)
and Dynamic mode is selected, transmission
up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver.
This means that the transmission will not change up
a gear automatically, even when the vehicle's
rev limit is reached. When the rev limit is
reached, the gear position indicator in the
message centre will glow amber, to indicate
that the next gear should be selected."
So you're saying there is no rev limit shift as a protection function? Again I don't plan on abusing the car, I just want to learn how everything works. Right now my only disappointment is I wish it came from the factory with a more 'throaty' exhaust note, but I guess when it's in Sport mode and Dynamic it has more of that exotic car growl.

Off topic, I was looking around the car and in the luggage compartment there is an access panel that has a DVD player. What's that for? I'd think if it was for the obvious... playing DVDs it would be in the dash for easy access. Lots of surprises with this car

Old 12-11-2021, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

In Drive and Auto, it does what it does.
In DRIVE and Paddling, it will force upshifts.
In SPORT and Auto, it will shift higher and harder.
In SPORT and Paddling, you will bounce off the Rev Limiter. You will look the fool if you don't 1-2 shift within one-half second from launch.
At any time while using the paddles, you can hold the right paddle for three seconds and it will be in AUTO mode, both in SPORT and Drive.
When stopped, the car will go into 2nd gear to prevent damage, and then either stay in second if in SPORT, or Force Upshifts if in Paddle Drive mode. If in Auto Drive, it will start in First Gear from a stop, regardless of what anyone else says.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (12-20-2021), jahummer (12-12-2021), u102768 (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

The "DVD Player" is actually for the GPS DVDs one. You should have one for the Western U S and Western Canada and One for the Eastern U S and Canada. The most recent DVD's can be bought from any Volvo dealer. The two issues with them is that they date from 2017 (I think) and you lose the British lady's soothing English. You get the NA twang.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
The "DVD Player" is actually for the GPS DVDs one. You should have one for the Western U S and Western Canada and One for the Eastern U S and Canada. The most recent DVD's can be bought from any Volvo dealer. The two issues with them is that they date from 2017 (I think) and you lose the British lady's soothing English. You get the NA twang.
Thanks Ralph. I did find it on a search as well. Looks like I have to buy an Eastern US DVD, I don't have that disc and the one in the player is west coast.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:13 AM

So you're saying there is no rev limit shift as a protection function? Again I don't plan on abusing the car, I just want to learn how everything works. Right now my only disappointment is I wish it came from the factory with a more 'throaty' exhaust note, but I guess when it's in Sport mode and Dynamic it has more of that exotic car growl.

Off topic, I was looking around the car and in the luggage compartment there is an access panel that has a DVD player. What's that for? I'd think if it was for the obvious... playing DVDs it would be in the dash for easy access. Lots of surprises with this car
we have the DVD player in the trunk of the XK as well.I never bothered putting a DVD in it to see if it would play a movie that I rented straight out the red box if I couldn't wait long enough to watch it when i get home😂but judging by how outdated the touchscreen looks in the XK(i'll never understand why they didn't atleast try to update it for the last generation XK)it will probably be a blank screen with only sound and then it will shut the car down and lock you in,and then make the alarm system go off until you turn the movie off and hit the eject button to get the movie out and you learn a lesson for making it overload so many colors...im jk tho man😂

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 12-12-2021 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:07 AM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks Ralph. I did find it on a search as well. Looks like I have to buy an Eastern US DVD, I don't have that disc and the one in the player is west coast.

That makes two of us stuck with 'West' DVD's. Im going to check if the Wifes car has 'East' DVD. If so, Im going to steal it, and see if she looses the maps. I think I already know the answer but doesnt hurt to try.

Quick Reply: Driving Modes