XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Dual cold air intake for the XKR...it works!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds great

How have you secured the air filters to the MAF housings? From what I remember when I changed my MAF sensors, the housing tubes have a flanged connection on to the airboxes, have you modified the tubes at all or is there enough straight tube on the filter end to get the cones on safely?

I'm thinking about doing something similar, but relocating the MAF tubes higher up in the engine bay, so that the filters can be placed higher up and thus out of the path of any water ingress from the front bumper, for those of us in climates with more rainfall. Putting the cones that low down makes me nervous.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

There are different size filters you can buy, smaller than there, that may offer a better fit higher up. Since the car is now a track only car, not worried about water as it is unlikely I would encounter deep standing water. The aluminium tubes have small brackets weld on at the same points where the previous were attached. I am using the OEM MAF housings and they fit fine with the rubber from the filter mounts, check post # 31 here.

Originally Posted by 8bit
Sounds great

How have you secured the air filters to the MAF housings? From what I remember when I changed my MAF sensors, the housing tubes have a flanged connection on to the airboxes, have you modified the tubes at all or is there enough straight tube on the filter end to get the cones on safely?

I'm thinking about doing something similar, but relocating the MAF tubes higher up in the engine bay, so that the filters can be placed higher up and thus out of the path of any water ingress from the front bumper, for those of us in climates with more rainfall. Putting the cones that low down makes me nervous.

The following users liked this post:
8bit (07-16-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice whine! you got that whine just from the air intake???

Old 07-27-2018, 01:05 AM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Whine is nice but it would be nicer to test the flow by measuring vacuum restriction if it's much of an improvement If any over stock.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Enquiry

Originally Posted by jahummer
I have been working on improving the dual intake for the XKR for the past few weeks and I am happy to say my prototype works! I have never seen the Mina version but read quite a few comments here how it did not work or there were MAF sensor issues, etc. I'll post some pic of mine when I have the aluminium tubing finished and installed, hopefully this week or next.

Basically, I did not like the idea of small snorkles pointed upwards near the top of the inside of the bumper, the intake boxes, the turbulence caused by so many rough and irregular surfaces or the 6 Hemholtz resonators featured on the Jag design. I wanted something larger, direct and smooth with large K&N inverted top cone filters directed forward at the lower right and left bumper ducts. Another benefit is less air flow restriction in front of the radiator where the snorkle flares used to be.

Besides working with no errors, I definitely feel the motor is breathing better, IATs are lower, super charger whine is more pronounced and the car gets to redline and speed much more swiftly.

HOWEVER I can NOT recommend this to anyone who drives their car in rain or water, rain would be okay but driving into deep water/puddles, etc could cause water to get sucked up into the motor.

More to come...
Hi,
I am looking at the same job, could you share the parts and inventory for this. Which is the optimum cool air intake for it? Did you use dual air intake kits for each bank? My car is the XKR 4.2.