XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Dyno after ETG tune and pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Is your XKR stock? When adjusted the HP figures are amazing for a standard XKR, about 548 hp at the crankshaft.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Yes, stock... (That I am aware of)

BTW: is there any way to prevent kick-down? We wanted a 2K and up chart, but with all the nannys turned off, sport and manual, it still kicks down if you floor it at 2kRPM. Maybe I've missed something in the manual? I know it will not automatically up-shift like my '07, but I guess I assumed it would not down-shift except maybe with your foot off the pedal rolling to a stop.

V

Last edited by CleverName; 05-31-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Not intending to thread jack, but I'm headed in Friday to have the induction system cleaned (BG44), and like Q&C I wanted to know my starting point.
So here is the chart for my new to me XKR, and I'll do a follow-up shortly after the cleaning for comparison.
My XKR has 30Kmiles on it now, and no clue what to expect from the cleaning, but no harm no foul...]
This is good stuff. Did you have any reason to believe the valves are dirty? Any strange symptoms? Your dyno with 18-20% drivetrain loss would put you at 539-548hp. That's above the stock 510 hp. Do you have the performance active exhaust? That has less restriction than the standard active exhaust on mine and might explain your higher than normal hp. Your Dyno uses SAE correction which reads 4% lower than the standard correction my Dyno used. My uncorrected Dyno readings would be comparable to your corrected one. Also did you turn the stability control completely off for the Dyno by holding the button down for 15 seconds?

Last edited by rfr66; 06-01-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
This is good stuff. Did you have any reason to believe the valves are dirty? Any strange symptoms? And did you do any power upgrades yet? .
No symptoms except maybe a stamber or two setting at a red light.

I have had a couple direct cylinder injection motors in the past and this problem has been a Achilles heel to most of the industry.
Pretty sure Jaguar now recommends the cleaning process.
Lexus got around the issue by keeping one injector in the intake runner, so full throttle washed down the valve stems. Audi is dodging law suits for lost HP for similar problems.

If I note any significant change, then I will probably add a water injection system which can mitigate the problem to a degree.

Again, I bought the car used, a month ago from a Jaguar dealership. I have no information on mods at this time, sorry...

Vince

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-03-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Is your XKR stock? When adjusted the HP figures are amazing for a standard XKR, about 548 hp at the crankshaft.
Ralph

Unfortunately there is no formula to convert rwhp to engine power without putting the engine on a actual engine dyno .

The dyno is simply a tune tuning tool that measures the increase in power after modifications

Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Ralph

Unfortunately there is no formula to convert rwhp to engine power without putting the engine on a actual engine dyno .

The dyno is simply a tune tuning tool that measures the increase in power after modifications
So you are saying that he may still have just the stock power even though his dyno shows quite a bit more?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Ralph unfortunately the same vehicle at different shops on different dyno's will yield different rwhp results (some dyno's can be a lot more generous than others) therefore making it virtually impossible to come up with a correct formulae that converts rear wheel hp to crankshaft hp

The correct way a dyno should be used is a pre tune power run then a post power run therefore establishing how much power was actually gained from the selected modifications

ralphwg (06-04-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
No symptoms except maybe a stamber or two setting at a red light.

I have had a couple direct cylinder injection motors in the past and this problem has been a Achilles heel to most of the industry.
Pretty sure Jaguar now recommends the cleaning process.
Lexus got around the issue by keeping one injector in the intake runner, so full throttle washed down the valve stems. Audi is dodging law suits for lost HP for similar problems.

If I note any significant change, then I will probably add a water injection system which can mitigate the problem to a degree.

Again, I bought the car used, a month ago from a Jaguar dealership. I have no information on mods at this time, sorry...

Vince
Thanks mate. The best hope we have is sharing strategies and info. The car companies wont even under subpoena.

I have heard of a new Nitrogen process.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

Just put my 2010 XKR on the dyno today
527.9 rwhp
535 rwtq

Working on posting pics and videos

Last edited by bigdhenderson; 06-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Old 06-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Just put my 2010 XKR on the dyno today
527.9 rwhp
535 rwtq

Working on posting pics and videos
Did you ever dyno it before your mods on the same dyno?

Old 06-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Steve - Thanks for your post. Completely agree with your input. It would be even better if the ambient conditions were the same for both dyno runs.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Did you ever dyno it before your mods on the same dyno?
No, this is the first time ever dyno'ed. Was just for kicks anyway

Old 06-05-2016, 01:42 AM

Well that's odd. Usually the horse power is more than the torque. You have it the other way around.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Well that's odd. Usually the horse power is more than the torque. You have it the other way around.
Nope, a quick look at the graph and the torque peak is slightly above the HP peak.
I've built MANY engines with huge torque numbers, mostly for trucks. Well above the HP for each of them, right around the 1000 lb/ft mark. The HP was always near 800.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Here's a decent article explaining why drivetrain losses are neither a fixed number of HP loss nor a fixed percentage. The losses are actually exponential with power increase.

Drivetrain Power Loss - The 15% "Rule"- Modified Magazine

The article, even more importantly, goes on to explain why chassis dyno results are not comparable to engine dyno results. They're pretty much apples and oranges.

As has been mentioned above, chassis dyno result without a baseline are useless when attempting to measure the effectiveness of modifications.

ralphwg (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
The article, even more importantly, goes on to explain why chassis dyno results are not comparable to engine dyno results. They're pretty much apples and oranges.....

ralphwg (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Unhappy

Here's the specific paragraph that touches on the concept"

"It's also worth noting that the more powerful you make your engine, the greater the thrust force and angular acceleration it's able to exert on the drivetrain, generating even more friction and heat in the process. But because both steady-state and dynamic friction vary depending on engine speed, engine load and the efficiency of the engine and drivetrain's design (how well they limit friction and the associated thermal conversion of torque to heat), there's no way to apply a universal percent loss to it. Nor is it possible to apply a fixed drivetrain loss figure to your car (say 60 whp from my RevUp G35 example), because as you modify the engine and increase its output its ability to generate thrust force and angular acceleration also increases (though not in a linear fashion)..............

So rather than attempting to convert your vehicle's dyno-measured wheel horsepower to a SAE net horsepower figure using a percentage or a fixed horsepower value, you're far better off accepting the fact that these two types of horsepower measurements aren't easily correlated and forego any attempt at doing so."

What they're getting at is that horsepower measured while an engine is accelerating (chassis dyno) has a whole different set of dynamics than horsepower measure at steady state (engine dyno). Trying to come up with a formula that allows credible conversion of one to the other is futile.

I'm sure you'll again post 'the don't feed the troll' pic in response.

Last edited by Mikey; 06-05-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Thats why I said, measure before you mod and measure after you mod.
There is no confusion then.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remapped? Did it work?

I had a pulley and tune done by ETG last August. After awhile I felt the car didn't feel as aggressive. Maybe I was just getting used to the way it feels so I decided to get it dynoed. Three pulls were done and the second pull yielded the best results. It was 85 degrees today. Uncorrected was 475 hp and 441 torque and corrected was 493.6 hp and 460 torque. I attached the dyno sheets for your review. One is uncorrected and the other has a standard correction. This is rear wheel hp. Does anyone know what the power loss is through the drive train so I can calculate crankshaft HP? Stock was 510 HP so what is it now? I never had a dyno done before so I don't know what numbers are considered good for rear wheel power.

Attachment 130754
Did you do a remap ? Really interested !! Pulley upgrade ? Air intake pipe upgrade ? Where did you do the remap?

Quick Reply: Dyno after ETG tune and pulley