XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

E diff warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

With DSC on, you get Electronic Traction Control, where the ABS module can brake the spinning wheel(s) and/or command the ECM to reduce torque. It also provides yaw control, using individual-wheel braking and torque reduction to avoid oversteer/understeer.

With TracDSC, the thresholds where the system cuts in are increased, i.e. more wheelspin is allowed, and greater yaw angles. But it still cuts in to try & protect your hindquarters, which is nice when you encounter some other car's vital fluids dumped in the middle of a corner.

With DSC off, there's no traction or yaw control - your right foot is in charge. Things can get lairy...

I believe all the other stability features are always active, like Corner Brake Control (stops inside wheel lockup when you brake while cornering), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (stops the rears locking due to weight transfer during braking) and Engine Drag-Torque Control (stops the rears locking on downshift/throttle-off)

The following users liked this post:
andys-GR (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks Ngarara.

Further update E-Diff System Fault warning back on car goes back to the dealer Monday.
Strange thing I drove her last night and the suspension felt stiff like Dynamic mode was engaged, and when switching between I could not feel the difference, but code did not turn up until this morning.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Damn. It may have been in a partial-fail mode - not bad enough to trigger the warning, but not running right either. Maybe it's time they swapped out the diff, or at least replaced the connector.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Yeah time to replace the diff or control unit or both

Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 PM

So now the warning is gone and the car is handling normally, still booked in. Talking to the dealer they still want it for a day because they need to send data to Jaguar for input, I think it has them stumped.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by andys-GR
Yeah time to replace the diff or control unit or both
I was gonna say when you get an MIL trigger it at times could be a false read of a sensor so I would erase the code. If you get a 2nd hit of the same code that tells me there is a problem with the sensor or control system or the component . Cleaning the connector apparently was a temporary fix but being it returned it is a bigger problem. Just out of curiosity do you know if the dealer interrogated the voltages at the connector prior to just cleaning and greasing the connector. This I would thing is the diagnosis method to rule out any module signal. Good luck and keep us posted

andys-GR (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:27 PM

I don't know if they checked voltages. I'm thinking there is a control fault because the suspension stiffened last night before the code and is back to normal now with the code gone so there is deeper going on I think. But is there checking with Jaguar theres not much more for me to do just yet.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM

Well she's back at the dealer today, they still think its a connector so there going to replace that.
No decisions yet but I've asked them to make a offer on buying it.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:14 AM

She is back and working fine hopefully it will last.
It was the left hand connector, the shop replaced it.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

She is back and working fine hopefully it will last.
It was the left hand connector, the shop replaced it.
Andy I hope it is the fix but call me a little skeptical. I don't know if you asked to see the problem connector but my habit it to request all bad parts to be available for me to see or take with me. Think about what could go wrong with a connector. Either it needs to be crushed/broken or corroded from water or oxidation. In either case you should be able to see the problem. Next is when they fixed the connector did they replace it or did they cut off the old connector and splice in a new one. How was the repair done would be my question. We'll have to see how this goes . Fortunately I have a lift and if I couldn't see the repair at the dealer it would be the 1st thing I do when I got the car home. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
andys-GR (01-28-2015), DGL (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Thanks Jagtoes, I got under the car on our lift and the connector was new, the last time they tried to repair it and it didn't work. I'm not convinced its the connector but time will tell. At this time its under warranty

Old 02-04-2015, 08:12 AM

So this morning my old friend the yellow triangle was back on start up the old E Diff Fault warning so she goes back to the dealer Friday morning for the 4th time.
Oh and the drivers door didn't want to close again the other smfh.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

So this morning my old friend the yellow triangle was back on start up the old E Diff Fault warning so she goes back to the dealer Friday morning for the 4th time.
Oh and the drivers door didn't want to close again the other smfh.
andy I fear you will be in for a long wait here. I suspect they will need to pull apart the differential to find the problem. I don't know the details on how the e-dif works but I suspect it has some type of electric clutch or solenoid that engages to make it function. So if it isn't a relay function problem in the circuit then it's in the differential itself. It's not a problem with the ring and pinion or the input or output shafts because the car still drives OK ( I assume). So it has to be with the method it hooks up the other drive circuit/system. Tell them you want to see the parts they remove/fix. You may also want to suggest to them you think they should replace the differential as a unit and see what their opinion is of doing that. Good luck and please keep us posted especially as to what the final problem is.

andys-GR (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 AM

Thanks Jagtoes, I suggested this morning they replace the differential and the control unit. I think 3 times is enough to play games trying to fix something.
In fairness to the dealer have been very good at trying and fixing things under warranty I wouldn't expected.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

OK I just found out how this system works. Here is the description of the F-Type but I suspect it is the same for the XKR.
Pretty cool but complex also. Kind of make you wonder how long the clutches will last.

2014 Jaguar F-Type Differentials, Electronic Aids: 30 Days Of F-Type

andys-GR (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 PM

I've attached a image from the shop manual. The system is a multi plate clutch which is motor driven to adjust the amount of lock between the wheels as requested by the controller.

jagtoes (02-04-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 AM

She's back to the dealer today E diff warning light on again.
They are also replacing a piece of cracked interior trim, replacing the torn lower stabilizer bar ball joints. In addition they are lubing the drivers door again since I had to spray it with deicer last week to get it to shut smh.
Still waiting on the promised buy back figure.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

You're having no luck at all. Let's hope they get it sorted out this time - fingers crossed! I think you should be pushing for a new diff, or at least a new module

andys-GR (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 AM

I'm pretty sure its the control module as that would probably explain the intermittent poor ride quality, and for the record I don't mean firm I mean poor.

Last edited by andys-GR; 02-09-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 AM

So they now need the car through Friday, the got the authorization from Jaguar to replace the actuator and harness. I've asked for a price to replace the control module on my dime.

Quick Reply: E diff warning light