XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar XKR ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

If you had your ECU flashed and pulley upgraded please let us know. Who did it? What is the result? Any problems? 5l SC owners.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did both

Originally Posted by DGL
If you had your ECU flashed and pulley upgraded please let us know. Who did it? What is the result? Any problems? 5l SC owners.
I've had both done on my XKR. Oops I have the 4.2, didn't see the "5l"

Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the ECU tune and pulley done on my 2010 XKR Convertible. The power increase is noticeable, and fuel economy isn't any worse.

However the biggest improvement to me is the throttle response. It is now linear, feeling like there is a physical connection. No more dead spots, tentative tip in, etc.

The following users liked this post:
guy (01-07-2014)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

@Lightman7, do you think it was worth the $$ you spent?

Mike

Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsammon
@Lightman7, do you think it was worth the $$ you spent?

Mike
Yes - The OEM throttle response drove me nuts with its imprecision. But I may no be as price sensitive as some people.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Lightman,

Any concerns over warranty coverage? Do you anticipate the mods killing whats left of the factory warranty?

Skeeter

Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Default Great price $620 tune and $600 pulley from Viezu

I received the following correspondence from Viezu. They seem to be very reliable and well established. Price for complete pulley+tune around $1,300. This is for a 2011 XKR. You could purchase pulley from mina and save another $300. Not bad for a remap tune and pulley upgrade around $1,000. www.viezu.com

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your reply, the ecu is an easy job to do you just need to disconnect the battery and leave the car for aminimum of 15 minutes, the ecu is located in the engine bay by the scuttle,once removed you cannot reconnect the battery until the ecu is reinstalled backinto the car.

The pulley is the upper pulley these arethe best to change and I am not sure even if the lower pulley is available.

The prices are as follows:-

· Ecuupgrade carried out £399.00

· Uppersupercharger pulley supplied £350.00

· Shippingtogether on a priority service £65.00

We will turn the ecu around the same dayas we receive it and get it shipped back out the same day.

I hope this helps and look forward to yourreply.

Best Regards

Gerald Morten

Client SupportManager

Viezu TechnologiesLtd

Last edited by DGL; 02-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I did the ETG tne and pulley. Monster gains, no problems. See my signature for more info.

Now 2 local uddys had both done the Viezu tune and pulley and only made 30whp more were I made 70whp.

My car has been to the dealer a few times and they tell me the eu just reads normal, they can't dig in and read each code line to see any changes.
Best part is that it is the fastest XFR ever on record and I was able to program the ecu right from home in just a few minutes.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Lightman,

Any concerns over warranty coverage? Do you anticipate the mods killing whats left of the factory warranty?

Skeeter
Note: For US owners only...
Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part.

That said, upping HP via an ECU mod certainly puts the whole drive train in a voidable state, but they cannot deny service on other parts of the car unrelated to the mod,

Vince

Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 AM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
Default lbs of boost

Originally Posted by BigCat09
I did the ETG tne and pulley. Monster gains, no problems. See my signature for more info.

Now 2 local uddys had both done the Viezu tune and pulley and only made 30whp more were I made 70whp.

My car has been to the dealer a few times and they tell me the eu just reads normal, they can't dig in and read each code line to see any changes.
Best part is that it is the fastest XFR ever on record and I was able to program the ecu right from home in just a few minutes.
Hi Big Cat,

How many lbs of boost is the ETG pulley rated at?

I see pulleys with 1.5 and 3 and was wondering which they use?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Hi Big Cat,

How many lbs of boost is the ETG pulley rated at?

I see pulleys with 1.5 and 3 and was wondering which they use?
Jags @ ETG recommends the 1.5 pulley only. He says his tune is made for the 1.5 and would never go higher. Also to fit the 3 lbs pulley you need to make delicate mods to the supercharger to get it to fit. Not a big job but still...

Mike V (02-19-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 PM

Clever,

I've litigated warranty denial issues and am familiar with the law. I'm full of admiration for xkr owners under warranty willing to risk loosing ALL of the power train aspect of the warranty for the power bump.

Te math just doesn't wor out for me. I'd LOVE the power gain, but with a Select Edition warranty running to 100k miles, and with the power train being far and away the costliest aspect of maintenance, the numbers just don't justify the risk.

I suppose it's with asking whether the dealership can detect ecu upgrades or whether this also will lead to a risk of loosing warranty. The ecu mod providers say that Jag can't tell the ecu has been modded, so that alone is a safe upgrade. Ay expert opinions on this assertion? I'd think they could read the ecu and see that it doesn't match stock spec, but I don't know much about ecu's...

Anyone?

Skeeter

Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Clever,

I've litigated warranty denial issues and am familiar with the law. I'm full of admiration for xkr owners under warranty willing to risk loosing ALL of the power train aspect of the warranty for the power bump.

Te math just doesn't wor out for me. I'd LOVE the power gain, but with a Select Edition warranty running to 100k miles, and with the power train being far and away the costliest aspect of maintenance, the numbers just don't justify the risk.

I suppose it's with asking whether the dealership can detect ecu upgrades or whether this also will lead to a risk of loosing warranty. The ecu mod providers say that Jag can't tell the ecu has been modded, so that alone is a safe upgrade. Ay expert opinions on this assertion? I'd think they could read the ecu and see that it doesn't match stock spec, but I don't know much about ecu's...

Anyone?

Skeeter
I am in 100% agreement.

While I would love an improvement in mpg and responsiveness, I really do not want to jeopardize my warranty.

In addition:
What happens if the factory decides to alter the ECU?
Would I have to spend another $1400 to re-re-map?

Skeeter (07-10-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd think a smart dealer would be willing to look the other way if they want the business and a repeat/loyal customer. Deal with the mod's being the issue for failure when it gets to that.

Talk to your sales and service manager about what you want to do and see how accomodating they'll be when you come in for future service.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM

I just got my invoice and pulley shipment notice from ETG. I ordered the pulley and ecu reflash package for my '07 XKR ($1395). ETG will ship the pulley from California (I live in Quebec, Canada), and a local affiliate tuner will ship out the computer for retune. A non affiliated tuning shop is doing the install. The owner (a friend of mine) wants to dyno the whole thing before and after to see the real gains and air/fuel ratio, etc. (just for fun)... Should be getting done in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted...

The following 2 users liked this post by djgold:
CleverName (02-19-2013), SPiDi (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 02:16 AM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by djgold
I just got my invoice and pulley shipment notice from ETG. I ordered the pulley and ecu reflash package for my '07 XKR ($1395). ETG will ship the pulley from California (I live in Quebec, Canada), and a local affiliate tuner will ship out the computer for retune. A non affiliated tuning shop is doing the install. The owner (a friend of mine) wants to dyno the whole thing before and after to see the real gains and air/fuel ratio, etc. (just for fun)... Should be getting done in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted...
Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM

First off I live up in Quebec, Canada so just ordering this tune without having a rep. from EcuTG do the tune had me worried. I spoke many many times with the owner Jags and he was incredible. Really knew his stuff, I am really impressed... They sent me a pulley and his rep. in Canada sent me a laptop with OBD2 to USB adapter. Got the computer first. Uploaded my car file to laptop and sent it to Jags via email. He got the latest file version for my car from Jaguar UK and magically put everything together to send me back a tuned file via email. I downloaded the new file into the car, and had the car towed to my nearby mechanic to change the pulley. For me, the pulley was a nightmare. I didn't have the right pulley puller (if one exists, it must be small and flat to fit behind the pulley), and I decided to cut the old one off. I cut it like a tree, taking small chunks off at a time to avoid damaging the shaft or supercharger itself. I finally got it off (took 2 hours) and used the pulley pusher to put the new one in place. I didn't have the time to dyno the car before the install, which kind of makes it useless to put it on after but... I'll drive the car more as is to help it relearn (Jags says to drive it hard for 100 miles and it will be even faster). So far it feels great. I'll keep you posted in 100 miles.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Several Points of possible interest regarding the ETG group ecu upgrade. I had my 2012 XK retuned by by ETG about 2 months ago. I have noticed I nice throatier sound to the exhaust along with a sportier response and a slight improvement in mpg from an average of 16.8 mpg to about 18 mpg for my normal mix of driving - 50% street & 50% freeway. But, perhaps most importantly, this week I had my car into my dealer for its first factory recommended checkup at 11,750 miles. I was curious as to whether they would notice the change and if so, would they say anything about the retuning. When I picked up the car earlier today there was no mention of anything regarding the the retuning. I specifically asked the service writer if there was anything notable about car and its servicing. His response was that everything was okay.

Cherry_560sel (01-31-2016)
Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by djgold
First off I live up in Quebec, Canada so just ordering this tune without having a rep. from EcuTG do the tune had me worried. I spoke many many times with the owner Jags and he was incredible. Really knew his stuff, I am really impressed... They sent me a pulley and his rep. in Canada sent me a laptop with OBD2 to USB adapter. Got the computer first. Uploaded my car file to laptop and sent it to Jags via email. He got the latest file version for my car from Jaguar UK and magically put everything together to send me back a tuned file via email. I downloaded the new file into the car, and had the car towed to my nearby mechanic to change the pulley. For me, the pulley was a nightmare. I didn't have the right pulley puller (if one exists, it must be small and flat to fit behind the pulley), and I decided to cut the old one off. I cut it like a tree, taking small chunks off at a time to avoid damaging the shaft or supercharger itself. I finally got it off (took 2 hours) and used the pulley pusher to put the new one in place. I didn't have the time to dyno the car before the install, which kind of makes it useless to put it on after but... I'll drive the car more as is to help it relearn (Jags says to drive it hard for 100 miles and it will be even faster). So far it feels great. I'll keep you posted in 100 miles.
I'm in LA for the next week. I was in contact with Jags. He asked me to give him a call when I'm in the area to meet for a coffee. i'd like to see your results before I meet with him...

Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM

No question but that my dealership would bounce me off warranty for any mod in a system that required repair (subject to warranty laws, etc.). The service department is COMPLETELY isolated from sales. If service found a modded pulley or ECU and there was an issue with the drivetrain, it'd be a short discussion before having to appeal the denial to Jaguar USA. Which would not be fun.

I'd love the extra power and am sure that there is plenty of safe, untapped power left in the motor, between upping the S/C pressure and messing with timing/fuel intake, etc. But I got a clear taste of the inflexibility of the service department last week and an unequivocal "by the book"/"take it up with your salesman" response to a defect with the car (bought Select Edition three weeks and 400 miles prior).

The sales department has little say upstairs and it took me walking the director of sales to my service manager with instructions to fix the problem for free to resolve the issue. The logic of the situation was wasted on the senior service rep. By the book...

Wish I could grab the easy gains, but not 'till 6/100k miles are up, or I find a dealership close by willing to give the the 'ok'...

Skeeter

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar XKR ECU Upgrade