XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Electrical Issue - Map Lights, Door Puddle Lights, Glove Box Light & Seat Belt Alert

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical Issue - Map Lights, Door Puddle Lights, Glove Box Light & Seat Belt Alert

Hello there: (2007 Jaguar XK Convertible)

Two Issues:

I have a peculiar problem with my door puddle lights, overhead map lights and glove box lights being inoperable. The centre console and footwell lights however illuminate as they should and for which I believe are on the same circuit (F12 fuse). If this is incorrect, please indicate which fuse I should check.

Since the console and foot well lights work and it may have been a redundant check, but I had my mechanic check for power at the relay panel at that fuse just to be sure during a recent service. Power is there.

I have pulled the door puddle light lenses out, removed and checked the bulbs, they are okay. I then checked with my voltmeter to see if there is power at the bulb connection points. There is no power. I have not been able to check the map light bulbs as am not sure how to remove the overhead panel cover to check them without causing damage. Perhaps there is a simple process, but cannot find the procedure on line or in my manual.

All this is leading me to think that there is a wiring harness disconnect somewhere or a ground fault case? I simply do not have enough knowledge to go further with the diagnostic. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

2nd issue. Recently, my seat belt alert infrequently illuminates. This is a very recent problem. I am wondering if an aging battery may cause this intermittent alert? Also, could a weak battery also cause the symptoms described with the 1st problem above?

I have put a trickle charger on and it read 12V and then proceeded to climb to 14.4V over 2 hrs of charging to a full charge.

Your direction is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Rick.

Old 09-24-2023, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 619 Likes on 393 Posts

Overhead panel drops out easily with a little prying - four tabs holding it in.

F13 powers the puddles and the modules:

Old 09-24-2023, 06:23 PM

Many thanks. I will get to it tomorrow and report back to the forum if that solved it.

Appreciated. Rick.

Old 09-24-2023, 06:51 PM

Hello MacJag. Well, I couldn't wait to check. F13 fuse is fine and checked continuity. The wiring schematic I have shows that F13 is a 25A fuse. I have a 10A fuse in F13 position. I just so happen to have a spare fuse relay panel I scavenged off of a 2007 XK (same year as mine) and checked the fuse on that. It is also a 10A fuse. Wondering if your 2009 XKR is different than my 2007 XK?

Old 09-24-2023, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickXK3018!
Hello MacJag. Well, I couldn't wait to check. F13 fuse is fine and checked continuity. The wiring schematic I have shows that F13 is a 25A fuse. I have a 10A fuse in F13 position. I just so happen to have a spare fuse relay panel I scavenged off of a 2007 XK (same year as mine) and checked the fuse on that. It is also a 10A fuse. Wondering if your 2009 XKR is different than my 2007 XK?
There are newer manual in the stickies thread - the one the pics came from is for VIN: B09097 > B20074 published 2008. VIN: B32753 > has the same diagram 25 A fuse for F1 and F13. Might be worth a try checking the grounds in the light sockets to the chassis with an ohm meter. There have been some threads on issues with puddle lights and confusion with.

This thread on another forum claims a TSB fix:

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...working.60265/

Old 09-24-2023, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Another thread re confusion at Jag dealers:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post1445371

Old 09-25-2023, 10:36 AM

Thanks again. I read the threads. I actually have that SB as well. I mentioned it to the Lakeridge Jag/Land Rover (Ontario) dealer and there answer was along the lines of - pay us an hours labour to talk to you and check. #$%%#! dealers. Money grab every moment and customer goodwill service is no longer in their vocabulary.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

And you have verified that your battery is fully charged? And that it is not at the end of its life ( 5-7 years, but variable)?

Insufficient battery voltage in these cars presents with all sorts of random malfunctions, warning lights and so on.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:51 PM

Interesting that you should mention that. I had the seat belt alert come on every minute or so. I did put my battery tender on for a few hrs and it was low. Drove the car the next day and no alerts came up.
The door puddle lights however are still inoperable.
I think I will be purchasing a new battery in the spring for it.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:09 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RickXK3018!
Hello there: (2007 Jaguar XK Convertible)

Two Issues:

I have a peculiar problem with my door puddle lights, overhead map lights and glove box lights being inoperable. The centre console and footwell lights however illuminate as they should and for which I believe are on the same circuit (F12 fuse). If this is incorrect, please indicate which fuse I should check.

Since the console and foot well lights work and it may have been a redundant check, but I had my mechanic check for power at the relay panel at that fuse just to be sure during a recent service. Power is there.

I have pulled the door puddle light lenses out, removed and checked the bulbs, they are okay. I then checked with my voltmeter to see if there is power at the bulb connection points. There is no power. I have not been able to check the map light bulbs as am not sure how to remove the overhead panel cover to check them without causing damage. Perhaps there is a simple process, but cannot find the procedure on line or in my manual.

All this is leading me to think that there is a wiring harness disconnect somewhere or a ground fault case? I simply do not have enough knowledge to go further with the diagnostic. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

2nd issue. Recently, my seat belt alert infrequently illuminates. This is a very recent problem. I am wondering if an aging battery may cause this intermittent alert? Also, could a weak battery also cause the symptoms described with the 1st problem above?

I have put a trickle charger on and it read 12V and then proceeded to climb to 14.4V over 2 hrs of charging to a full charge.

Your direction is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Rick.
If your car works and starts like normal and it's awkward for those warnings to be on when u did nothing to your car for it to break,just change every fuse in the car for new 1s return it back to normal.Usually when an important fuse goes bad,it will make your car seem like it got lots of other problems when it don't.Could just be the battery cause it would make a different light jump on that make it act just like the TPMS does in the XK and we all know how annoying that warning light is lol

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 09-27-2023 at 09:14 AM.