XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Electronic Parking Brakes- Educate me please

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
With the old levered handbrake you could change the braking by holding in the button and pulling more or less.
I agree, the old method allowed for much more control. In my previous 650 the Wife was driving to work about 2 miles down the road. She tells me the car is making a grinding sound when she stops. I went down to check it out and discerned it was most likely a bad pad. Using the manual emergency brake I was able to limp home via low traffic backroads. Slow down or stop, it was up to me. It wasn't comfortable by any means and if someone had jammed out in front of me I would have used the pedal.

Anyway, got it home, assessed the situation, ordered the parts and had it back on the road in a couple of days. No towing required since I was able to get it back to my garage on my own, all because I had my trusty lever emergency brake.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Again- the EPB would allow you to do the same thing.

Have none of you guys ever tried using it with the car in motion?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

You have me there, I have not. I will give it a shot one day just for kicks.

I just don't see how I can achieve the same level of control but will give it a try, with the manual lever I was able to pull up, lessen the pressure, all within a short span to modulate my speed even so much as to feather into a stop at traffic lights and stop signs with other cars in front of me. Able to hold the brake, then slowly relieve pressure on handbrake to move forward and more pressure to completely stop as cars in front of me went through stop sign. Mostly by feel and over a 2 mile stretch.

Have you tried the Electronic brake, if you don't have any brakes available have you tried driving in real scenarios like above? Not calling out just curious how it operated for you.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tampamark
Have you tried the Electronic brake, if you don't have any brakes available have you tried driving in real scenarios like above? Not calling out just curious how it operated for you.
I have driven the S-type several times 'simulating' not having a foot brake. Very easy to modulate braking pressure with the EPB. I use it once in awhile to monitor it's functionality. Don't want a nasty surprise if it's not there when I need it.

I lost all brakes on my very first car, a '65 Sunbeam Tiger, and quickly became unaware that the PB was not working either. Not a pretty outcome.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Just tried it this afternoon and to make it work you need to push and pull and push and pull and so on until you stop. So the trick is learning how and when to do the pushing and pulling of the lever.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I lost my brakes about a year ago in a 1996 Dodge minivan; pedal went right to the floor. I was very disappointed that I didn't feel like I had "cross-brakes" or the feature that is supposed to allow retention of some braking. Turns out the brake line burst, which is between the floor pan and gas tank, probably from MD and MA salt used to treat roads.

So of course, I tried the electric emergency brake in my 2010 XK. I put it on and it slowed the car down in a gentle manner. I did not otherwise play with it, so I don't know whether I could modulate it like a hand brake or foot brake or like Jagtoes described. I will say that the foot brake in the minivan was not more powerful than the electronic brake in the Jag.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

OK, gave it a shot tonight. It operates better than I thought it would but not NEARLY as much control as a manual handbrake. But it was good to try, I like to have my contingencies covered.

So at higher speeds when you engage the E-Brake it only is braking while you pull the handle up, the minute you release the handle it stops braking. So it isn't an ON/OFF scenario, it only operates when pulling. If you keep holding it at higher speed it progressively applies more force. Same at lower speeds.

Both this and a handbrake are not a comparison to a foot brake in a minivan, since the foot brake rachets and you have to reach down to release or push further, not sure haven't had a foot brake in a long time. I would hate to see how you handle trying to drive while using the Emergency Brake with a foot brake.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:11 PM

Neither type of e-brake is intended to get a vehicle home- it's purpose is to stop it (once) in an emergency.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Neither type of e-brake is intended to get a vehicle home- it's purpose is to stop it (once) in an emergency.
In this case yes, that is true. If it were a manual system like the old days I could limp it home by using it for it's non-intended purpose. I do this in life all the time, I guess I am a rebel!!!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:04 PM

I think you'd be taking a huge risk by deliberately driving a car with defective brakes. Not a chance that I'd take.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

I was not at risk. I was in total control of my vehicle at all times, it was a short trip on low speed surface streets that were low traffic. I did have the advantage of having a mechanical emergency brake that could modulate stopping force. Which goes back to what we were saying...I won't be able to do that now. That's OK, I have AAA.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Another consideration is something I read on another post: if you engage the EPB when you're shutting the car down, it disconnects more electrical systems, more quickly, than just shutting it off, and definitely helps with battery issues during prolonged shut-downs. Don't know whether that's true, but I've been doing it ever since, even on level ground. Haven't had any battery issues and I'd had some before.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, if it works for you then continue. However, the E-Brake automatically engages when you put the car in Park. So you are manually doing what will happen automatically? Does it really help the quick electrical disconnect, I don't know.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

I was not at risk. I was in total control of my vehicle at all times, it was a short trip on low speed surface streets that were low traffic. I did have the advantage of having a mechanical emergency brake that could modulate stopping force. Which goes back to what we were saying...I won't be able to do that now. That's OK, I have AAA.
You could do pretty much the same with the EPB. Far from ideal, of course, but in dire need...

Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by pk4144
Another consideration is something I read on another post: if you engage the EPB when you're shutting the car down, it disconnects more electrical systems, more quickly, than just shutting it off, and definitely helps with battery issues during prolonged shut-downs. Don't know whether that's true, but I've been doing it ever since, even on level ground. Haven't had any battery issues and I'd had some before.
Never heard that one before.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
You could do pretty much the same with the EPB. Far from ideal, of course, but in dire need...
Agreed, for dire need it is available and after testing works pretty well.

Most of my emergency brake usage through the years has been for entertainment anyway. In my Boxster it was fun to yank it up turn the wheel and power through a 180 degree spin. With my company car (Ford Taurus in the old days) I would kick the foot brake down to the floor to lock up the rear and scare buddies of mine when we met at the gym and they were walking in ahead of me. Nothing like screeching tires to pull someone out of their thoughts.

Yes I am a big child.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most of my emergency brake usage through the years has been for entertainment anyway. In my Boxster it was fun to yank it up turn the wheel and power through a 180 degree spin. With my company car (Ford Taurus in the old days) I would kick the foot brake down to the floor to lock up the rear and scare buddies of mine when we met at the gym and they were walking in ahead of me. Nothing like screeching tires to pull someone out of their thoughts.

Yes I am a big child.
Most of my emergency brake usage through the years has also been for entertainment.
In any of my ferrari I yank it up and.........**** all happens , my 360 before that and my old testsrossa was the same , how my buddies laugh

Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, another big kid in action. Only difference is your toys are WAY cooler!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you, another big kid in action. Only difference is your toys are WAY cooler!
Saying that, one of the best smiles for miles fun factors I drove, was my sons mini cooper s, fantastic

Old 08-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Are you sure the EPB engages automatically? I do notice, when you apply the EPB in park, that if your foot's on the brake you feel the brake depress a little bit more, and I don't notice that when I simply shut the car off. As to the electronics, I don't know, but now that I'm in the habit of doing it I figure, why not?