XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Emergency key not working - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 03:53 PM
Received 341 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Thanks for posting about the successful outcome to this issue. Too often members will post a question and then never come back with the eventual result.

I've added RESOLVED to your thread title.

Graham
Thanks Graham
I’m happy with the resolution despite the cost. Keep calm and pay up!
Carrying spare fob batteries in my wallet was a bit much.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Here in the UK with our rear number plates getting to the rear trunk boot lock can be problematic, esp if it's stuck on.

In my job I have to get high security keys cut from time to time, there's only one shop within a 40 mile radius that can do them. They use a lazer machine and have said they can s
do one for £50 and guarantee it'll work...if not then my money back.

With only one fob am going to get another later this year.

Thanks for this thread btw

The following users liked this post:
V7Sport (07-27-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:57 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Here in the UK with our rear number plates getting to the rear trunk boot lock can be problematic, esp if it's stuck on.
I've wondered about this too. If the plates are screwed on, it's no big deal to remove them, but I hate screws on my plates and always stick them on with 3M tape. The *only* way to remove them is to heat the plate with a heat gun and gently pry the plate off - not something you can do in an emergency miles from home. It seems a bit crazy to me that Jaguar put the lock *underneath* the number plate / license plate.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by barnsie
I've wondered about this too. If the plates are screwed on, it's no big deal to remove them, but I hate screws on my plates and always stick them on with 3M tape. The *only* way to remove them is to heat the plate with a heat gun and gently pry the plate off - not something you can do in an emergency miles from home. It seems a bit crazy to me that Jaguar put the lock *underneath* the number plate / license plate.
Yes. That would be problematic. 🤔
Could you drill an access hole in the plate with a filler plug for aesthetics? You could paint the plug to blend with the plate background/number.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by V7Sport
Yes. That would be problematic. 🤔
Could you drill an access hole in the plate with a filler plug for aesthetics? You could paint the plug to blend with the plate background/number.
Hey Mike - it's possible, so long as the keyhole isn't behind one of the letters or numbers on the plate I guess. The thing that I find a little odd is that Jaguar is a British company and so they are very aware of the way our license plates look, and that the key access will be underneath the plate. If you use screws for your plate, it's pretty easy to find a suitable screwdriver, or a pocket knife or whatever and remove the screws. But those of us who prefer the cleaner look of glued-in plates are, well, screwed, I guess It's no big deal in the grand scheme of things and I imagine if I was locked out of the boot / trunk, I'd find a way. It would have made more sense to me if Jaguar had mounted the keyhole someplace else - eg in the trim strip that has JAGUAR on it on my 2008 model. Just something to be aware of - but definitely totally trivial in the context of these amazing cars.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I've added RESOLVED to your thread title.

Graham
That is a great idea. I wish that was added to every thread where a resolution has been achieved. Makes using the search feature a lot more productive where there are various threads along similar lines. Nice to go directly to the solution.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:23 AM
Received 299 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Defective Key Blanks are a problem

A word of caution: some key blanks offered on eBay are dimensionally defective.
I found that blanks I purchased were too tall by using a micrometer.
That was after a mobile locksmith hired for my XK keys had the same problem and didn't figure it out.
Also, a prominent locksmith hired by the dealer for my brand new Toyota Sienna used a
​​​​​​blank that was too wide to fit in the lock!
Dimensionally defective blanks appear to be a common problem in the locksmith business.

For Central Virginia, USA there is a competent locksmith located at 7093 Mechanicsville Turnpike, Mechanicsville, VA.
He has invested in the tools necessary to cut any Jaguar key from code or blank.
He knows his business. His computer cutter told him the code for my XK as it was cutting from an original. Worked perfectly.
I provided a correct size blank. Saved a day or two normally required to order a non-stock item but no cost savings.
He does not program Jaguar key fobs. ☹

Best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 07-28-2020 at 08:27 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-28-2020, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by barnsie
Hey Mike - it's possible, so long as the keyhole isn't behind one of the letters or numbers on the plate I guess. The thing that I find a little odd is that Jaguar is a British company and so they are very aware of the way our license plates look, and that the key access will be underneath the plate. If you use screws for your plate, it's pretty easy to find a suitable screwdriver, or a pocket knife or whatever and remove the screws. But those of us who prefer the cleaner look of glued-in plates are, well, screwed, I guess It's no big deal in the grand scheme of things and I imagine if I was locked out of the boot / trunk, I'd find a way. It would have made more sense to me if Jaguar had mounted the keyhole someplace else - eg in the trim strip that has JAGUAR on it on my 2008 model. Just something to be aware of - but definitely totally trivial in the context of these amazing cars.
Hi Barnsie
Why Jaguar put the key hole where it is a mystery for those with big plates... you would think they would do better in their home country. 🤷
Hopefully you never need the key for boot access but will do what is needed at the time. And just a trivial issue as you say given the awesome car!

barnsie (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Barnsie, if the key hole is directly behind one of the characters, I would drill a 10mm hole in the plate and put a black plug in it to cover the hole and make the characters readable to the speed cameras.

barnsie (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Barnsie, if the key hole is directly behind one of the characters, I would drill a 10mm hole in the plate and put a black plug in it to cover the hole and make the characters readable to the speed cameras.
Yes, good idea. I need to check the exact location of the keyhole, which I am guessing is steel (not aluminum) so I ought to be able to locate it with a magnet. That will save me from having to remove the plate which will likely damage it (3M tape is incredibly strong, even when heated up to allow the glue to soften, and often the plate will bend as it is removed and that can cause it to delaminate). If the keyhole is right behind one of the letters, it will be worth buying a new plate and doing as you suggest. A neat solution.