XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Engine blown

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

One other thing: remember dealerships LOVE warranty work (ask me how I know). They get paid full freight from that warranty company. They WANT that $5K job (plus maybe there's a markup on that engine?) They should one hundred percent be in your corner on this.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:59 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I've read through this thread, but never read what the cause of the engine failure is--maybe I missed it. Was it timing chain tensioners? Over heating? What? Sorry, if it is in the thread and I missed it.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:05 AM
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Follow up

Thanks for the the responses. Jag service can't determine exactly what went wrong as they haven't torn it down. Message was internal engine failure. The time in between my posts is because every step has taken at least a week. I would hate to total this car as it is cherry condition (other than a blown engine &#129314 There are still so many unknown variables and it's driving me nuts. Again, thanks to all of you that didn't add to the problem. I'll post next week when I hear something.

The following users liked this post:
badicedog (09-30-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Airbornecat,
In the case of my car, when the previous owner reported that the engine needed replacing to his warranty company, originally, we were going to have my mechanic do the replacement. But after I thought about it for a day, I suggested to him that since he lives very close to a Jaguar dealer that why not take it there, that way there is some warranty from Jaguar for at least a short period of time. Unfortunately, when the dealership starting looking at the engine, they discovered there was NO OIL in the engine, and they planned on informing the warranty carrier of their finding. The previous owner very quickly had the car towed out of the dealership back to my mechanic who then made the deal with the insurance company. The previous owner just never checked the oil during his 2 year ownership. But I drove the car and there were no low oil warning lights as there should have been, though that's not an excuse. Just make sure there was proper oil level before they tear down the engine.

DGL (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

All for the want of a dipstick.

The following 5 users liked this post by Rivguy:
JagRag (09-28-2020), pk4144 (09-27-2020), ralphwg (09-27-2020), tberg (09-27-2020), user 7508230 (01-11-2022)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivguy
All for the want of a dipstick.
Say Good Bye to those days.....

Old 09-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbornecat
Thanks for the the responses. Jag service can't determine exactly what went wrong as they haven't torn it down. Message was internal engine failure. The time in between my posts is because every step has taken at least a week. I would hate to total this car as it is cherry condition (other than a blown engine &#129314 There are still so many unknown variables and it's driving me nuts. Again, thanks to all of you that didn't add to the problem. I'll post next week when I hear something.
Everyone here just wants to help you and has offered solid advice, don't take what has been said here as anything but genuine care. Depending on what the warranty terms say, there should be little reason to be concerned as you have many paths to take as far as recourse to arrive at solution. If you have lost the warranty contract there is no reason why the selling dealer can't provide you with a copy. I would be very surprised if the warranty/insurance did not cover the engine replacement as even the most basic "free" warranties cover the powertrain and the engine is the primary component of that. But, if some reason they get out of it and you have clear language that supports that conclusion, the selling dealer should assist on all counts and if that goes no where, it would not hurt to contact Jaguar customer relations. Even though the car is not covered by factory warranty, Jaguar corporate may be interested in how one of their franchises handles the situation.

007XKR (11-10-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Airbornecat,

I just want you to be aware of the worst case scenario so you can plan for your response if this happens to you.

The internet abounds with horror stories about claims being denied by third-party extended service providers. Below is a typical reason for refusing to pay for a blown engine. Read the exclusions in your contract. If you know your enemy's battle plan, you can have your defenses ready and counterattack. In the situation below, complete service records and your dealer are your best weapons.

You are at war with Axiom; don't give up and you will win the war!

https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/richardson...964/complaints

Start gathering your weapons now. Speak with the service manager and get the service records. How would the dealer rebut Axiom's denial? Ask them how sludge could be possible with only 28,000 miles? Was the odometer rolled back? If so, demand a full refund.

Good luck!

Stuart

P S. I hope that none of the above happens and that Axiom approves your claim. But you should be prepared if they don't.

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-28-2020 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:46 PM
Default Update

Last week, Axiom sent out adjuster to get info and take pics( of what, I don't know as engine was not torn down). Now a week later, they want Jaguar to tear it down. This sucks as that is more money spent towards cap limit they will spend. Jag guy says not chain tensioners, but probably main bearing. Won't know until they open it up. It's not a denial, but more waiting.

The following 2 users liked this post by Airbornecat:
jahummer (09-29-2020), MarkyUK (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

If they find in your favor (as they should). They would have to tear it down any way to make the necessary repair!

Old 09-30-2020, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

QUOTE=ralphwg;2296162] ... They would have to tear it down any way to make the necessary repair![/QUOTE]

Teardown is necessary in either case, to approve or deny the claim.

They would have to tear it down to find the sludge to justify denying the claim, as I warned in my post #48, above.

I hope they find a crankcase full of clean, proper spec oil with no sludge and approve your claim. Otherwise, you'll need all the help you can get from your dealer and the service records to convince Axiom to pay.

guy (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

How much disassembly is needed depends on what they find or don't find. I suspect that they'll start with removing the oil pan, since that's easy and can give them a lot of clues about the cause of the engine failure.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
If they find in your favor (as they should). They would have to tear it down any way to make the necessary repair!
I believe they just swap the engine...so the teardown is going to be as he says extra money against his cap, whatever amount that may be. And if the cap also includes teardown verification.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:26 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Again, been through this. One must ascertain the reason for the failure. Hope you didn’t clear any codes as this makes the job easier for the dealer.
Oil will be investigated as will the coolant. Then possibly a larger tear down.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I'll also add one more observation that may help, as someone who's had an unusually positive experience with his warranty (detailed elsewhere):
My warranty has paid like and ATM each time my dealership submitted a claim (including replacing the differential and rebuilding the supercharger, among other things).
Until this last visit.
Oh, they OK'd the work (thermostat, replace radiator fan/motor/sensor unit, and work on the convertible top)... but then a strange request:
Please send us a certified copy of the original purchase & sale document for the car.
I thought they wanted to see the signed warranty page, but no-- they wanted that realllly long yellow page. They wanted documentation on what I originally paid for the car.
FYI, I paid a tad over 40K. Apparently that's how they base their "payout cap." Until that moment I didn't know warranties HAD a "payout cap." I now know it's fairly standard.
As it ends up, I was under it, and they paid out about 3700 on this visit. BUT how much is left?
Here's the kicker: THEY WOULDN'T SAY.
My hunch in your case is there's a fight brewing about who's gonna pay what. The dealer HAS TO have some skin in this game.

jahummer (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

💯%

Old 10-01-2020, 05:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

So sorry to hear about your troubles Airborne. I just bought a 2010 XKR convertible a few months ago and not having a dip stick, no temperature gauge and your horror story does not instill confidence.

I truly hope that the insurance company comes through for you.

Buddy

Old 11-09-2020, 05:42 PM
Default Update Engine blown

I'm going to have a stroke! After the Jaguar dealership stating engine blown, they starting tearing engine down and they stated that it was actually the freaking supercharger! What kind of inept Dealer thinks its a blown engine instead of supercharger? I've gone through months of back and forth. I am so freaking happy if this is the case. I'm no mechanic, but I was thinking supercharger was first thing to check. What things should I replace now that the engine is torn down? I really think someone is in serious trouble. The dealership is not charging for a teardown that wasn't needed. Isn't that nice of them?

The following 5 users liked this post by Airbornecat:
Bill Mack (11-15-2020), jahummer (11-09-2020), peterv8 (11-10-2020), ralphwg (11-14-2020), SinF (11-15-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

If all they did was remove the supercharger, it doesn’t take much labor to do that and if the supercharger has failed, it will be pretty obvious up front. Also your warranty should cover diagnostic labor if it is related to the failed component. You should consider replacing plastic coolant pipes as these are guaranteed to fail. Make sure you negotiate the labor for the extras as it takes almost none extra when they are already taking everything apart as it is.

Cee Jay (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:07 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Can't believe your misfortune here. If it's a new supercharger coming, great. If it's rebuilt, that might do. If it's used, service it.
While she's apart; plugs? injectors, coolant lines? coolant? Time for belts?
My belt adjuster gets to be noisy around every 40K. So I'd replace it.
Oil change goes without saying.

Last edited by guy; 11-09-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine blown