XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Engine blown

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020 | 12:46 PM

Holy crap, it's been nearly two months now and the poor OP is still (one presumes) driving a loaner or a rental, with no resolution?

Gads. Best of luck to you buddy.

Old 11-12-2020 | 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BimmerGuy
Holy crap, it's been nearly two months now and the poor OP is still (one presumes) driving a loaner or a rental, with no resolution?

Gads. Best of luck to you buddy.
At least he found out what is wrong with stuff, he posted three days ago.
Course, depending on a loaner, he may not care how long it takes.

The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020 | 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BimmerGuy
Holy crap, it's been nearly two months now and the poor OP is still (one presumes) driving a loaner ...
Call it an 'extended test drive' of the XE or F-Pace - base model, of course.

peterv8 (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020 | 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I'd take an XFR or an F-Pace R-Dynamic S for a month for free. I'd drive the crap outa those just for fun.
Too bad about Base Model, of course. Probably with already a whole bunch of miles on 'em.

gkubrak (11-17-2020)
Old 11-14-2020 | 10:03 AM

This is so SCARY! I have 80,000 mile on mine with no problems, but you never know.

Old 11-14-2020 | 03:43 PM
guy
Veteran Member

I don’t know about calling this scary. All we can do is sufficiently maintain (or preemptively maintain) our vehicles.
Even Indy, F1 and rally cars have unexpected failures... as do those boring (but highly rated by others) Toyota Camrys... but I don’t want one of those.

MarkyUK (11-14-2020)
Old 11-15-2020 | 10:13 AM

I know this issue has probably already been dealt with, but wanted to chime in.

"Certified Used Vehicle" or other statements along those lines do not mean really anything. It is a marketing gimmick used by dealers across the country. Can't fault them for it, really, as every dealer does it too. It could be a "certified" piece of junk as far as they are concerned, or at minimum "certified" to start and run long enough to leave their parking lot. So, don't fall for that blather. If you aren't comfortable judging a car for yourself, request to have a pre-purchase inspection by an independent mechanic of your choosing.

If you have a non-manufacturer extended warranty, you need to make sure you abide by all of the rules within the warranty. Some require you to not race the vehicle. Some require specific maintenance intervals be met including fluid changes, mechanical, etc.. and that parts/fluids used meet a certain specification/criteria. Some require no performance or mechanical modifications beyond like-for-like parts be made to the vehicle. Some even go to the extent of limiting the average annual miles you can put on your vehicle. There are a lot of requirements that can be and are often found in the warranty agreement.

This is why so many car people don't recommend these extended warranties, because these companies can get very picky about expensive claims and they often limit you to not making any changes to your vehicle while under those warranties. But, if you follow the rules and can back it up, they are contractually obligated to pay for the covered parts. Most of the car folks that talk about this don't necessarily understand the details around extended warranties, or at least they don't talk about it when they are bad-mouthing the extended warranties. Now, I will agree that it can be a headache to deal with these companies surely. But, I think that is to be expected of any insurance when making a large claim - have you ever had to make a claim to get your roof replaced on your house, or an auto accident repaired? It is common for these situations to turn ugly fast when dealing with the insurance company. Just keep your ducks in a row, and you're good. I suggest keeping a service history booklet, receipts, maintenance logs (if you do them yourself) and inspection reports if you live in a place where inspections are completed.

Last edited by KrazyIvanUSA; 11-15-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Barry Leftwich (10-04-2021)
Old 11-15-2020 | 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Airbornecat
I'What things should I replace now that the engine is torn down?
Timing chain, water pump, all plastic coolant hoses in the valley. If you are filling large, pay to get your new supercharger port and polished.

bfarrell (10-03-2021)
Old 11-15-2020 | 12:21 PM

I don't think CPO is completely useless, but sole reliance on the dealer "certifying" the car - or offering a third-party repair/replace contract - is unwise. A typical used-car dealer has no idea what the maintenance history or use/abuse of the car might be. I would never consider a car from a dealer without CPO, but would also require a vehicle history report and a PPI. If the dealer cannot provide the former, or agree to the latter, walk away. And I would much rather purchase from a private owner with good knowledge of the car's history - backed by the vehicle history report and PPI. Trust, but verify.

I am not criticizing the OP, since I don't know what precautions he took in his purchase. He clearly loves the car, and wants to guard against future problems by getting other maintenance done on the torn-down engine. The OP has been through hell, but the outcome is trending toward the positive, all things considered. Airbornecat, please let us know how it finally turns out.

Old 11-15-2020 | 01:54 PM

Bad luck that's for sure. I can't even think about having that kind of bad luck with my be loved XKR 4.2...One dream suddenly becomes a nightmare. Any motor/supercharger trouble records on XKR 4.2 (year 2007)?

Old 11-15-2020 | 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

I blew the engine on my 95 Mustang in 2004. I rebuilt it within two months and then got married to wife #2.
Now I'm on wife #4 and still it hasn't run. It's mostly installed, but that's all.

SinF (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020 | 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I blew the engine on my 95 Mustang in 2004. I rebuilt it within two months and then got married to wife #2.
Now I'm on wife #4 and still it hasn't run. It's mostly installed, but that's all.
No way!!! Seriously, you'd have thought you would have learned by no 2... I definitely won't have a wife no 3...obviously hoping to outlive no 2 naturally, otherwise I'm kind of struggling for places to hide the body.

The following 4 users liked this post by wsn03:
Cee Jay (11-17-2020), jahummer (11-17-2020), kj07xk (11-17-2020), peterv8 (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020 | 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

I want to see a graph of wives vs. project progress.

The following 6 users liked this post by SinF:
gkubrak (11-17-2020), guy (11-17-2020), Hans Amstein (12-29-2021), jahummer (11-17-2020), peterv8 (11-17-2020), wsn03 (11-17-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-17-2020 | 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I want to see a graph of wives vs. project progress.
I don't want to create such a graph, as I would be depressed.
Oh, however, now "my" projects have taken a decided turn..... now it's 'plant twelve trees over there' and 'move this wall back two feet' and 'change the balusters' and 'install this light, and while you're at it, put a 4-way switch on that wall' and then the fun stuff, like 'rebuild that perfectly fine deck, and while you're at it, make it bigger'. Oh, I could go on for another twenty or more other things, easy.

Yeah, I still do stuff, just not MY ACTUAL stuff.

I can't even get a permit to build another shop/garage cuz Covid and exploded building of single-family homes around here.

Sorry, not my thread.
Please continue with "Exploded Car".

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (11-17-2020), kj07xk (11-17-2020), SinF (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020 | 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wsn03
No way!!! Seriously, you'd have thought you would have learned by no 2... I definitely won't have a wife no 3...obviously hoping to outlive no 2 naturally, otherwise I'm kind of struggling for places to hide the body.
He never said anything about being divorced...they could be sister wives...

Old 11-17-2020 | 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

They all aren't sisters, but two not related to each other. Other two........ my secrets die with me.

Old 11-17-2020 | 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

They all aren't sisters, but two not related to each other. Other two........ my secrets die with me.
Fourth wife... surprised you’re not dead already!

Cee Jay (11-17-2020)
Old 10-02-2021 | 11:53 PM

One wonders how this saga concluded...

Old 10-03-2021 | 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jacuar
One wonders how this saga concluded...
5.0 owner has engine trouble and car is totaled

more at 11

Old 10-03-2021 | 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Airbornecat
It's baaaaad! I've only had this car for a few months and a few thousand miles. Purchased car with 28,000 miles 2010 XKR. I was in Sonoma California enjoying wine country with my lady and as I was headed home, I heard knocking from engine and limiter kicked in. I was on San Rafael bridge and when I pulled over there was horrific metal on metal noise coming from engine. I'm devastated. I got towed to Jaguar Marin. Here is the good news, I have a 6 month 6,000 mile service contract warranty with Axiom. I am so nervous as to what to expect next. Axiom asked for oil samples right off. I did nothing whatsoever to abuse this car. no racing etc. I purchased this car from a Jaguar dealership and they sold it as certified, so I'm sure oil was good as well as anything they would physically see. What in the f cking hell would have gone wrong? I check oil levels after running and no issues there including levels. I love this car so much, but I can't understand what would cause this. I still don't fully know what is wrong yet. The dealer thought possible bearing? I have no idea what will come next. This is so miserable. I don't even think I have a question for you all, I'm just venting to you nice folks. I saved a long time and looked for the best example and paid 30k cash. A couple of months later, whammo!
i mean you should be covered if it's under a warranty right?I can tell you this much,I've known soldiers in the military that had the whole drive train ripped out of their car from a bad tow from getting repo'd while the car was in park and they tried to drive it afterwards and it fell out.The other story i got is when i had to pick up 1 of my soldier friends often for a while to take to work cause he only took his car in for an oil change and they didn't put the bolt back on his engine to keep the oil in.The cars they had were not jags of course but the thing they had that does relates is that 1 had a warranty and the other didn't.Guy with the warranty got his drive train fixed by using the warranty and the other guy with the bolt left off the engine got his fixed through an insurance claim.Maybe the situations i told you could help your case if it's not too late since you posted this in 2020

Quick Reply: Engine blown