xkr 5.0
37.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Which engine configuration do you have

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Bruce you've truely been spoilt with jaguar engines in your life time ! Good stuff

I know we are getting slight off topic here but what made you go f-type as opposed to a slightly used vantage or even maserati gt

Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an '06XJR which obviously is the 4.2 S/C. It has 80,000 miles and just goes like a freight train. Just regular maintenance. It is impossible to find a low mileage XJR, people drive them like crazy because they are such great cars.

This coming week I'm getting a '10XKR, moving up to the 5.0 S/C. Yahoo! The guys at the tire store are smiling already.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Bruce you've truely been spoilt with jaguar engines in your life time ! Good stuff

I know we are getting slight off topic here but what made you go f-type as opposed to a slightly used vantage or even maserati gt
Thanks! Yes cars are the thing that I let myself get really silly about.

Actually it was the opportunity to get a used DB9 ('12 model) that put me on the track that led to the f type. The DB9 has about 6,000km on it, and was less than half its original cost, though that was still over $200K. But aside from the seats, the interior is very dated and the sat nav looks like one of those pop up things. So to me it was a step back from the XKR.

But of course that got me thinking "what would I have?". I considered a vantage but again the tech is ancient and the ride is tremendously hard - way too hard for use as a daily driver for me. I could have gotten one maybe 2 years old for the f type S money. I thought about the Maser as well but to be honest I dont like the proportions of them - they look odd to me - and there are reliability issues and I would have been looking at something nearly 4 years old.

So really what I was wanting was something gorgeous, reliable, exclusive but not mind blowingly expensive, and to be honest, Jaguar. I do have a lot of brand loyalty.

So ultimately the F Type S was the pick. I got a new/demo MY16.5 V6 S in mid life crisis red with black pack for about 15% under sticker and a good price on the XKR (which is pristine, I really do look after it). It is much harder to get in and out of than the XKR but the ride in the S with the performance seats is enormously better than the base, it is probably at XKR levels. I'll be sad to see the XKR go and my wife in particular will, she loves it too, but the f type is certainly fun to drive. Not more fun than the XKR, just different.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Firstly congratulation on the purchase and we're going to miss you on our XK forums .

No doubt the f type is such a beautiful car not only has it has completely re launched the entire jaguar brand but it also has opened the door to the younger market .

Can't wait to read your comprehensive engine write up and see pics of your new toy !! ...also glad you stayed with the jaguar brand love your loyalty !

Old 04-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

With the new XKR, I now have owned a 4.2 NA, 5.0 NA and a 5.0 SC. IMHO the 2013 XKR is the best of the three, with the 12 XK very close behind both of which are better all around cars than the 08 XK NA.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
My SC 4.2's been a nightmare up to 50k miles. Guzzles a tank of gas in only 320 miles. Keep having to change the oil every 10k miles. Boring! I never get to drool over the new Jag's at the dealership while waiting in the service department. Totally missing out on the driving experience of the Jag's of yore. If that's what you're looking for don't buy this car. Didn't even come with a tool kit.
Just upped my game from an '07 XK to a 2010 XKR.
Gonna miss that stunning 4.2. Even naturally aspirated, I could trust her to purr 5000 miles with nothing but fuel and smiles. Gads what a motor!

I fear the SC 5.0 may not be as kind, but time will tell...

Vince

Old 04-11-2016, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Can anyone out there compare a AM 4.3 to our jaguar 4.2 would love to know the difference in drivability characteristics

Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a 4.2 n/a and so far its been solely gas and oil changes - Oh, I lied- needed a new battery abt 18mos ago. (I since bought a Ctek). Car has slightly over 45000km and I'm thinking of replacing the water pump and thermostat as a preventative measure just so I know its done. In hindsight, the XKR, from a horsepower perspective, may have been a 'funner' car to buy and drive, but what the heck, the 4.2 n/a still motors along with some authority. I actually prefer the ride of the Jag as opposed to my (older) 911

Old 04-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I purchased a 2012 XKR in 9/2013 at 72% of MRSP from freaking CARMAX...bunch of A-holes!! It had 10,500 miles and was black on black with black kalimnos. Came with HD radio, heated front windshield, and the upgraded XKRS brakes. Those must have been the toughest 10,500 miles and I will tell you I must have been BLIND to purchase this car because when I got home after purchasing it I noted defects:

1- The clear coat would need to be redone - it was not very clear and alot of swirls. ALOT of SWIRLS. I also noted the front splitter was falling off and the rear spoiler was warped. 1800 later the splitter and spoiler was off. 2000 later including a front end wrap and liquid glass coat after paint correct it looked "almost new" (still some paint chips that just wont ever be fixed). A Deep black probably better than day 1 of her life!!. Esoteric Auto Detail In Columbus, Ohio | Detailing, Clear Bra, Training, And Product Sales. | Esoteric Detail | Esoteric Car Care If you go to their site, go under company, go under image gallery, hit "load more" 2-3 times till you get to my 2012 Jaguar XKR there are high def pics of the car and its correction. Ive since added the clear Euro reflectors for the orange at a 200-300 price with install.

2- the wheels had road rash - Gloss Black Kalimnos cost be 150x4 to refurb... Done they look NEW. Wheel Medic in Columbus, OH

3- Left driver side window had scratches - came that way - replaced. While we are on that topic i noticed the previous owner had repaired a crack in the front windshield - got a second and larger one LAST WEEK. Replaced 250 deductible - Safe Liter Repair/Replace Columbus, OH

4- I noted after oh about a year there were some areas on the XKR breaking down "rubber wise". I Had the rubber seal replaced around BOTH doors as it was falling apart. There was rubber that needed replaced on the left side and kick panel as well. All replaced under warranty

5- Temperature sensor went bad. Told me it was -70 out. This occurred after work at the dealership? not sure what they did. Replaced under warranty

6- The tachometer was getting stuck at 2000 rpm on the downslope then reading wrong rpms after. Had to prove it to dealership with video - they replaced the whole rpm/speed tach under warranty. I think that part itself was over a grand not including labor?

7- Then came the big boys.... I noticed last summer a startup chatter as well as a marble rolling around in the engine. I suspected the torsion isolater problem. Sure enough they took the supercharger apart and saw the supercharger spring was eating up the thing - they also saw the supercharger blades were hitting as well and ordered a new supercharger...4500 dollars later no marbles in the engine! However the startup chatter remained. After some help from the boards I was able to tell my jag tech i was suffering from a well known problem in the LR V8's. A faulty Timing Chain Tensioner. He agreed and they replaced the Timing Chain Tensioner and guides taking care of the startup chatter finally. Finally, while they were in the engine replacing the supercharger they saw my water pump leaking and replaced that too under warranty.

8- A month later I Noted my left rear quarter window was leaking when washed aggressively on the lower seal. They re-sealed it after calling in a glass company - under warranty.

9- A month later I Noticed at idle I got a strange engine "tick". Very regular and loud. If I drove it would go away- then turn car off and start it back up immediately and at idle it would tick again. Very odd. Jaguar figured this out and told them to replace all 4 actuators. My jag tech got smart and also replaced the chain this time along with the actuators and noted after doing so my timing chain tensioners were not working again - so they were replaced as well. Add to that my new water pump was leaking again he replaced that AND some internal parts that connect to the water pump. Interestingly they also fixed without their knowledge or my complaint the squeeky steering when backing up slowly and turning the wheel. its gone - no more creaking steering. All this was done under warranty again.

10- It was at this time I decided at 28,000 miles that I would have to purchase the jaguar warranty. I went in with 3 months to go and they quoted 7 yrs or 100k for 4300. I said I will be back in 2 months. I went back and they said 4 yrs or 100k for 4300.... DAG NABBIT!!!!! So it was all I could do but get the 4 yr and lost out on 3 yrs warranty cause i wanted an extra 2 months.. Geez o Peet!

Funny - its been 2800 miles and nothing has gone wrong with the poor girl despite my new warrany extension.

Lothar52

Last edited by Lothar52; 04-13-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:40 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Damn Lothar52.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk

Can't wait to read your comprehensive engine write up and see pics of your new toy !! ...also glad you stayed with the jaguar brand love your loyalty !
Gooday. The V6 S is much more like the 5.0 NA than it is the R. That said, because I dont get loss of traction I think that for practical purposes it is just as quick off the mark as the XKR, or within a bee's dick of it anyway. The overtaking speeds (80 - 110kph) also seem to be pretty similar. I expect that the top end in the XKR would be much stronger, but with the amount of police on our roads I dont think I'll ever find out.

Very briefly the F type V6 S against the 5.0 SC XKR :

Ride : the f type on 19's is quite a bit firmer than the XKR on 20's. About the same as the XKR in dynamic mode;
Handling : the f type is significantly more adept in steering and handling. About the same margin of "improvement" as the XKR is over an XF. The trade off is the harder ride, and also it isnt as powerful so there is less chance of oversteer. There is no understeer that I have experienced;
Power : as mentioned, about the same as the 5.0 NA with similar characteristics. Quicker from 0 to 100 than the 5.0 NA though. On paper the times are the same as the 5.0 SC XKR (4.8 seconds) though I think in real life with decent rear tyres the XKR would be better than that. To me they feel about the same;
Engine note : pretty awesome though my preference is still for the 4.2 V8. It (the V6 S) doesnt have the metallic note of the 5.0. It fills the cabin when your foot is down, but is pretty quiet if you want to be stealthy, save on startup;
Transmission : the 8 speed is lightning fast and really suits this engine - much more than it does the 2.0 turbo. You get plenty of pull between gears.

I think if the XKR had the tech and transmission from the F Type, it'd be just about perfect. As it is, the F Type is good for me because I like the media setup, and I still managed to get the week's shopping in (after I took the spare out). It is also in a colour that I always wanted for an XKR, and has plenty of bogan (redneck) accoutrements, which suits me perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Fantastic write up Bruce

The f-type looks spectacular in that particular colour and I totally agree on an xk being perfect with a 8sp ZF
Also surprised to hear that you put it on par with the xkr off the line ...good job jaguar

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (04-17-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I currently drive both, as indicated in my signature - a 2009 4.2L SC XKR (420HP) and a 2013 5.0L SC XJ (470HP). The 4.2 has all the power any sane person needs on the street, and the 5.0 is a bit of overkill but Woohoo!

From a driveability standpoint, the 5.0 wins; no contest - its massive torque curve is always there, particularly at the low end, ready and waiting to make the big cat leap ahead. The 4.2 simply doesn't feel as strong. Other improvements (8-speed vs.6-speed and Dynamic Mode in the XJ) also contribute to its superior driveability.

From a reliability standpoint, the 4.2 had the thermostat replaced under warranty and the 5.0 had the water pump replaced under warranty.

I do mostly city driving. Surprisingly, I get over 16 MPG in the 5.0 but only 13 MPG in the 4.2. I probably rev the 4.2 higher to hear that glorious exhaust note. And the 5.0 has Stop-Start, which helps the city MPG.

Stuart
Pretty much the same here for my Stuart. 2006 X100 XKR 4.2SC Victory Edition (390HP) and 2012 X150 XKR-S 5.0SC (550HP).

The XKR never felt slow... until I got the XKR-S. Which, as you said, is almost overkill. Especially with the extra 50HP over the already-overkill XKR. If I'm cursing at 75 on the highway in the XKR-S, and I plant my foot, the tires will still break loose.

I almost prefer the XKR around town. It's a little more tame in city driving, but the 5.0 absolutely has more low-end torque. And better fuel economy than the 4.2 as well to boot.

Of course, again like your situation, the X150 is far ahead of the X100 in terms of drivability of the car as a whole simply due to lots of advancements.

As to reliability, I can't say much yet. Only put about 8k on the XKR-S so far and no issues (other than the glove box not opening correctly!). I just bought my XKR last year and had a 2005 XK8 4.2 before that, which I only put about 4k miles on- no issues during my 3 years of ownership either.

I know, I know. I need to drive my jags more! Chicago weather gets in the way of that too often