XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Matt,
If they have used a 93 tune then that is where considerable power has come from...which is why I asked. The factory tunes for much lower octane as that's all that's available in parts of the country, and they then have to leave a margin for bad and poor quality gas (like California's?). The increased resistance to pre-ignition of higher octane allows for a leaner A/F ratio and/or more advanced timing, both of which generating more power. You could maybe clarify that point in case you need to use a lower grade of gas, and for other's expectations that may need to have a tune done for lower octane. ETG told me their tune is done based on 91 octane, and that it's important to actually use a minimum of 91.

Originally Posted by ccfulton
That is a very impressive gain!

15% is a decent rule of thumb for an automatic, but to be completely correct the math should be RWHP / 0.85. In other words:

481 / 0.85 = 565
539.6 / 0.85 = 634

So either the drive line is very very efficient or Jaguar under rated the XKR-S a wee bit. Either way you cut it, that is a phenomenal amount of power.

Thanks for sharing.
And driveline losses aren't a fixed percentage either, with it becoming lower as a percentage as power level is increased.

You really can't relate any roller/chassis dyno results to an engine dyno anyways as different dyno types measure differently from others, and even examples of the same type will measure differently from one to the next. What they do tell us is what the relative impact of the pulley and tune was compared to stock, which is very substantial, but Matt's car would measure differently on other dynos...some higher, some lower.

Bruce

Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Congratulations, Matt!! Sweet, sweet numbers.

I'd be interested to hear ETG's take on this, given that I paid about double for what may well be a very similar tune on an XKR.

Very interested to hear your driving impressions over time, too. I'm convinced that from about 3500 rpm and up my car pulls significantly harder than it did stock, and it wasn't exactly a wimp when it was stock. Quite a few track hours over the years (although in other cars, so far) give me some confidence in my butt in that regard. But there is nothing like numbers on a sheet!!

As to the eternal question "why do it", if you have to ask, you won't understand the answer

Old 11-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Matt,
If they have used a 93 tune then that is where considerable power has come from...which is why I asked. The factory tunes for much lower octane as that's all that's available in parts of the country, and they then have to leave a margin for bad and poor quality gas (like California's?). The increased resistance to pre-ignition of higher octane allows for a leaner A/F ratio and/or more advanced timing, both of which generating more power. You could maybe clarify that point in case you need to use a lower grade of gas, and for other's expectations that may need to have a tune done for lower octane. ETG told me their tune is done based on 91 octane, and that it's important to actually use a minimum of 91.

You really can't relate any roller/chassis dyno results to an engine dyno anyways as different dyno types measure differently from others, and even examples of the same type will measure differently from one to the next. What they do tell us is what the relative impact of the pulley and tune was compared to stock, which is very substantial, but Matt's car would measure differently on other dynos...some higher, some lower.

Bruce
I will email them and ask with regards to the octane. I will also ask about the timing and AFR adjustment. I have recently sent Jerry a link to this thread as well, so there is a chance Eurocharged might respond directly.

As for the dynos, yup they can be all over the place from each one to the next depending on what shop you are at. One thing I really liked about this dyno was my baseline run pretty much matched up to Jaguar's specs on the power for the XKR-S. I googled dyno dynamics and found out it is also known as a "heart breaker" dyno. Luckily, that wasn't the case this time.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce M.

I'd be interested to hear ETG's take on this, given that I paid about double for what may well be a very similar tune on an XKR.

Very interested to hear your driving impressions over time, too. I'm convinced that from about 3500 rpm and up my car pulls significantly harder than it did stock, and it wasn't exactly a wimp when it was stock. Quite a few track hours over the years (although in other cars, so far) give me some confidence in my butt in that regard. But there is nothing like numbers on a sheet!!

As to the eternal question "why do it", if you have to ask, you won't understand the answer

Thanks Bruce M., I will definitely keep everyone posted with my driving impressions post tune. I took her to my Detailer this afternoon and she is running smooth as silk. Very powerful and linear. I haven't noticed any issues or hiccups, idle is perfect too. I am very happy so far.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:22 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce M.

I also looked into ETG's tune last year. While in Beverly Hills, LA, last year, I had arranged to meet with Jag over coffee to discuss the tune. I was busy and could not meet with him. However, I found the $2,000+ a lot for a tune they copied from the XKR-S and modified. At $2,000/tune they would be making substantial $'s. $900 is more reasonable for a pulley/tune upgrade. Eurocharged seems to know what they are doing working with customers to help themselves and the customer. This is the first time someone has posted before and after tunes from working with the tuning shop to show the real gains. Congratulations Matt and Eurocharged for showing us the way.
I love it when a business works with the customer to create a win-win situation. Kudos to Matt and Eurocharged.

Last edited by DGL; 11-03-2013 at 06:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
Bruce M. (11-03-2013), Matt in Houston (11-03-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM

I emailed Jerry about some of the questions and he viewed the thread. He sent me a reply to post. It is below in green.

"Did they mention for you to do anything different now, like make sure not to use anything lower than 91 octane, or use 93-94 under certain conditions? How did they monitor air/fuel ratios, and will those be plotted on the emailed copies? Can you note what they adjusted, like AFR and ignition maps, TCU torque limiters, rev and speed limiters, etc. Thanks"

"We have written this tune for 93 octane. We do offer 91 octane tunes as well. Overall power will be about 10-12HP less for 91 octane. We monitored AFR with the Dyno Dynamics wideband. We modify many maps, including Torque Limiters, Boost Cut, Ignition Tables, Speed Limiters, and throttle position".

Specific questions about the tune are probably going to be best answered if you email or call in directly to Eurocharged. I have found them to be very helpful myself.

Thanks guys!

The following 2 users liked this post by Matt in Houston:
2010 Kyanite XFR (12-11-2013), DGL (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Matt,

Good to know about the tune's octane requirements...and it sounds like your tune is very comprehensive. Higher octane can make a huge difference in power, which is why E85 is the big thing now as it has the octane of race gas, and water/methanol injection which does the same and improve intercooling also.

Looking forward to seeing the dyno plots with AFR plotted.

Bruce

Old 11-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I would be interested in seeing AFR as well.

Since you are running a higher boost now, have you looked into upgrading SC cooling? I see that they also offer high flow pump. Was that suggested?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM

I will ask for a dyno with the AFR's plotted. I remember seeing them briefly and they looked fine. Maybe I can get a copy later today.

I did ask about the high flow pump a few months back:

Would you highly recommend pairing it with the intercooler pump upgrade to help beat the heat with the Houston summers?"If your intercooler pump is showing signs of failure or inconsistent power, then I suggest replacing".

I am not worried at all since I don't push the car for extended lengths. If I was tracking the car I would probably consider it.

Also while I'm thinking about it, when it was on the dyno my plots were very close to each other after each run. This is good when you consider there wasn't near the air cooling you get using a dyno shop fan compared to driving down the road. I thought that was pretty impressive.

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 11-05-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Here you go, guys.

Jerry said, "I feel with the amount of ignition the car is running, a stock-like AFR is best."

And look at that rear wheel torque! Wow.

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-1403018_10151977506399941_1815076463_o.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey guys,

Just want to let everyone know we're now a sponsor here. Check out the group buy we started under the vendor threads!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Here you go, guys.

Jerry said, "I feel with the amount of ignition the car is running, a stock-like AFR is best."

And look at that rear wheel torque! Wow.

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-misc-jackie-chan-l.png  
Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 PM

What's up with ole' Jackie?

Anyway, drove the car in to work today...it was about 50 degrees outside and the car felt awesome. Very responsive and fast. I just wish there was less traffic on my 20 mile commute.

Still very happy with the tune...The car was alive before, but now its like a whole other animal.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

What's up with ole' Jackie?

Anyway, drove the car in to work today...it was about 50 degrees outside and the car felt awesome. Very responsive and fast. I just wish there was less traffic on my 20 mile commute.

Still very happy with the tune...The car was alive before, but now its like a whole other animal.

It's the universal emoticon for "Mind Blow" (I learned this from a friend's teenagers - apparently all of the cool internet kids are doing it) when something is amazing. I posted it because of how good that dyno chart turned out. It's much more than just number but the power curve and AFR's look so good too.

The following users liked this post:
Matt in Houston (11-07-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by AVMIII
I've only had my 2010 XKR a week, and it's the first car that I've had and haven't had the oppourtunity to "floor" it on the first or second drive. the other day I was driving on a back rode doing 40 mph, and just goosed it a little and in no time I was into triple digits. No new story here to longer time owners I'm sure. I -can understand wanting to mod your vehicle either to get a little more power that you might somehow take advantage of, or for "bragging" rights. However I read several reviews that the car should be faster from launch, but isn't due to Jaguar's conservative choice of rear wheels/tires. Apparantly the choice was biased towards comfort and less road noise, as opposed to wider, more performance oriented tires. My point here, and it's likely been debated in previous threads, is if you want to go faster, wouldn't you first attend to wheel/tire issues?
I can agree on the fact that after having owned other high performance cars my XKR and the modified XKR-S that I drove both need suspension mods and more tire to handle 600HP. When I picked up my car after a tune/pulley/exhaust it felt like too much power for the platform. The rear end felt like jello over transitions at high speeds and the brakes were close to their limits under repeated hard braking from 130ish (track conditions not public roads). Dont get me wrong the power is incredible and usable for freeway driving but the chassis needs some tweaks to fully benefit from the added power. That being said I've started working on the suspension and tires to see if this helps, I'm not expecting Porsche GT3 handling just a better feel and sense of control. I personally think the upgrades are great but with nearly any car once you upgrade HP expect to upgrade suspension, brakes and tires to round out the package.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurocharged
Hey guys,

Just want to let everyone know we're now a sponsor here. Check out the group buy we started under the vendor threads!
Hi Eurocharged
Nice job on the XKR.
- Can you tell us more about the HP benefits of your tune on a regular non supercharged 2007 up XK?
-Can this be done remotely, or must the car be in one your shops?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM

I would be interested to know what you can do with wheels and tires. I think I read somewhere you can put 305mm in the back without rubbing, but it's close fit. I am for sure not going to keep OEM tires when they are worn. Looks like there are better options, especially since I do not drive in the winter.

Originally Posted by MaximA
I can agree on the fact that after having owned other high performance cars my XKR and the modified XKR-S that I drove both need suspension mods and more tire to handle 600HP. When I picked up my car after a tune/pulley/exhaust it felt like too much power for the platform. The rear end felt like jello over transitions at high speeds and the brakes were close to their limits under repeated hard braking from 130ish (track conditions not public roads). Dont get me wrong the power is incredible and usable for freeway driving but the chassis needs some tweaks to fully benefit from the added power. That being said I've started working on the suspension and tires to see if this helps, I'm not expecting Porsche GT3 handling just a better feel and sense of control. I personally think the upgrades are great but with nearly any car once you upgrade HP expect to upgrade suspension, brakes and tires to round out the package.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Just wish you were a bit closer ....

Originally Posted by Eurocharged
Hey guys,

Old 11-08-2013, 02:52 PM

The tire you probably want is the Pilot Super Sport in 305 for the rears. I would like to get a set myself.

I plan to keep my car as a powerful GT cruiser. So far, I am personally not having a problem with the added power at all. It feels awesome and the car is nice and tight for the role I am using it in.

If you plan to drive your car aggressively around corners or on the track, then suspension upgrades might be something to consider, especially with added power. I have not heard any complaints about brake fade until MaximA's post above. I am keeping an eye on his thread as well...should be a good one.

If I return to the road course scene it will probably not be in my XKR-S. That's me in the red one.

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-2123_43836974940_1657_n.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

The tire you probably want is the Pilot Super Sport in 305 for the rears. I would like to get a set myself.

I plan to keep my car as a powerful GT cruiser. So far, I am personally not having a problem with the added power at all. It feels awesome and the car is nice and tight for the role I am using it in.

If you plan to drive your car aggressively around corners or on the track, then suspension upgrades might be something to consider, especially with added power. I have not heard any complaints about brake fade until MaximA's post above. I am keeping an eye on his thread as well...should be a good one.

If I return to the road course scene it will probably not be in my XKR-S. That's me in the red one.
If u get 305's in the rear, would you get stock size upfront or go bigger as well?

Quick Reply: Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.