XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Ever seen this brake caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever seen this brake caliper?

I bought my 2007 XKR coupe last year and just noticed that the decal on all 4 brake calipers are different from others I see. Has anyone seen any like this?

Last edited by Cambo; 05-12-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:10 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I had to fix the picture you posted.

That is a regular R caliper and part of the vinyl R logo decal has come away, happens a lot with age.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
mosesbotbol (05-13-2020), patpayne (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,229 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Here ya go, exact same brakes and caliper stickers as yours: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-x-...KzVkAASJ1Qscww
Clean and repaint the calipers, not difficult, then whack the stickers on, good as new!

The following users liked this post:
patpayne (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:29 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,130 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Here ya go, exact same brakes and caliper stickers as yours: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-x-...KzVkAASJ1Qscww
Clean and repaint the calipers, not difficult, then whack the stickers on, good as new!
Thanks for the idea @OzXFR ... on the link you provided the caliper appears a gunmetal grey colour. I quite like that and how the sticker 'pops out'.
The brembos on my xjr were grey and I purposely avoided the urge to paint them yellow or red. Mind you I had to wash them often.
I guess when I get back, red is out, grey is in.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,334 Likes on 3,471 Posts

THIS is a brake caliper! 6-piston front, part of the Alcon Performance Brake Package available on 2008 and 2009 models.

And the corresponding crescent-grooved rotor.

On my 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
mosesbotbol (05-13-2020), Panthro (05-18-2020), TM08XKR (05-15-2022)
Old 05-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
THIS is a brake caliper! 6-piston front, part of the Alcon Performance Brake Package available on 2008 and 2009 models.

And the corresponding crescent-grooved rotor.

Looks like you will be needing new rotors anytime now

Old 05-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The Alcon is so much nicer looking than the stock brakes. I assume they perform the part too.

Lame looking brakes are pretty much across the JLR portfolio except for a few exceptions. Their ceramic brake options are really well priced!

Old 05-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by patpayne
I bought my 2007 XKR coupe last year and just noticed that the decal on all 4 brake calipers are different from others I see. Has anyone seen any like this?
The 'R' is missing. This means they sold you an XK for the XKR price!

Old 05-13-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

6 piston = 6 failure modes = 6 times the cost of repair.

Don't get me wrong, I have them too and they're great, but I am not looking forward to rebuilding them when 1 or more of those pistons starts seizing up.

And do we really get any more stopping power than the stock 'R' calipers??

Old 05-14-2020, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,334 Likes on 3,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
Looks like you will be needing new rotors anytime now
Nope, they're still good. When the time comes, I already have a set of 4 replacement rotors. I bought them on sale (thanks to JAHummer) in November 2016 at a total cost delivered overnight of $466.16 (2 front@$132.99, 2 rear@$100.09) and put them away as spares. I saved more than $1,700 over Jaguar dealer list prices.

For details, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-cheap-171582/

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Buzzer (05-14-2020), Panthro (05-18-2020), pwpacp (05-14-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mate you seem to be in the know, just purchased an xkr and the dealer had the rotors replaced, said they were down 2mm.
This car had only 28ks on it. You think it may have got a "floggin"? What brand do you think has best wear capacity?
I got a tojo 400k plus, only two sets of pads no rotors.
Mick.

Last edited by 1fldsqn; 05-20-2020 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Needed to go to ozxfr
Old 05-20-2020, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1fldsqn
Mate you seem to be in the know, just purchased an xkr and the dealer had the rotors replaced, said they were down 2mm.
This car had only 28ks on it. You think it may have got a "floggin"? What brand do you think has best wear capacity?
I got a tojo 400k plus, only two sets of pads no rotors.
Mick.
I guess you might be asking me instead of Stuart S so if I am correct here is my view:
Modern Jags especially the more high performance R versions are very hard on the rotors and pads, as both are fairly "soft" (JLR say this improves brake performance and feel but I'm not so sure), so they wear out pretty damn fast especially the rears.
The minimum thickness specs for both the pads and the rotors are ridiculously conservative, especially the rotor spec of 2 mm less than new thickness.(it's the same on all modern Jag rotors regardless of size, except for the carbon ceramics which go by weight).
2 mm, they can't be serious! (but they are). I believe it's a ploy to sucker the punter into very expensive rotor and pad replacement at the dealership.
There are heaps of after-market rotors and pads out there that wear much slower than the OEMs, make less noise, are smoother and more progressive, and give off waaaaay less dust.
Yes with some you may sacrifice a little in ultimate braking performance but unless you are tracking the car you would never know.
They are also a helluva lot cheaper than new OEM.
Last but not least it's a very easy DIY saving you heaps of labour cost.

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-20-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 PM

I guess you might be asking me instead of Stuart S so if I am correct here is my view:
Modern Jags especially the more high performance R versions are very hard on the rotors and pads, as both are fairly "soft" (JLR say this improves brake performance and feel but I'm not so sure), so they wear out pretty damn fast especially the rears.
The minimum thickness specs for both the pads and the rotors are ridiculously conservative, especially the rotor spec of 2 mm less than new thickness.(it's the same on all modern Jag rotors regardless of size, except for the carbon ceramics which go by weight).
2 mm, they can't be serious! (but they are). I believe it's a ploy to sucker the punter into very expensive rotor and pad replacement at the dealership.
There are heaps of after-market rotors and pads out there that wear much slower than the OEMs, make less noise, are smoother and more progressive, and give off waaaaay less dust.
Yes with some you may sacrifice a little in ultimate braking performance but unless you are tracking the car you would never know.
They are also a helluva lot cheaper than new OEM.
Last but not least it's a very easy DIY saving you heaps of labour cost.
Yeah i was mate but i'm as dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to this.
I'm getting on in years so i'm more a straight burner today but still like to "hoon"around the mountain on occasion.My F-Pace is awd and i feel much more
comfortable in it. Back to the brakes, your recommendation for after market make. These on it are 380mm x 376mm. Would 400x380 or 376mm be the go?
I worked on all my own gear till computers. still did the basics after warranty period though.
Thanks Mick.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1fldsqn
Yeah i was mate but i'm as dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to this.
I'm getting on in years so i'm more a straight burner today but still like to "hoon"around the mountain on occasion.My F-Pace is awd and i feel much more
comfortable in it. Back to the brakes, your recommendation for after market make. These on it are 380mm x 376mm. Would 400x380 or 376mm be the go?
I worked on all my own gear till computers. still did the basics after warranty period though.
Thanks Mick.
The 380 mm front 376 mm rear combo is very common on modern Jags, the F-Type R, XFR, XJR and XKR all have that combo.
If you stick with 380 and 376 there is a large range of rotors to choose from as they are identical across the range, no need to specify XKR.
Just search eBay and eBay Motors for "Jaguar XFR brake rotors" and you will get hundreds of hits including Hart, R1 Concepts, Stop Tech and Power Sport.
From my research and looking at the pics in the ads I am fairly convinced they are pretty much all the same and are all made in China.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, I have been running a set of Hart drilled and slotted for over 6 years now on my XFR and then F-Type and they have been great.
It's not quite so simple with the pads.
The front 380 mm pads are identical across the Jag range but not so the rear 376 mm pads. On at least the F-Type they are very different to the XFR and XKR pads and I believe earlier XJR's. I'm not sure about the later model XKR (X150), I think it has the same pads as the XFR but I am not sure. It all depends on the EPB set-up, if your XKR has a single central EPB motor running two cables one to each side then you can use XFR pads but if it has separate EPB motors one on each rear caliper (like the F-Type) then you need different pads.
If you upgrade to 400 mm front and 380(?) mm rear rotors such as the Alcons then you will also need new calipers, caliper brackets and splash shield which would get real expensive real fast, you can't use the bigger rotors with the OEM 380/376 calipers and pads.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:51 PM

The 380 mm front 376 mm rear combo is very common on modern Jags, the F-Type R, XFR, XJR and XKR all have that combo.
If you stick with 380 and 376 there is a large range of rotors to choose from as they are identical across the range, no need to specify XKR.
Just search eBay and eBay Motors for "Jaguar XFR brake rotors" and you will get hundreds of hits including Hart, R1 Concepts, Stop Tech and Power Sport.
From my research and looking at the pics in the ads I am fairly convinced they are pretty much all the same and are all made in China.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, I have been running a set of Hart drilled and slotted for over 6 years now on my XFR and then F-Type and they have been great.
It's not quite so simple with the pads.
The front 380 mm pads are identical across the Jag range but not so the rear 376 mm pads. On at least the F-Type they are very different to the XFR and XKR pads and I believe earlier XJR's. I'm not sure about the later model XKR (X150), I think it has the same pads as the XFR but I am not sure. It all depends on the EPB set-up, if your XKR has a single central EPB motor running two cables one to each side then you can use XFR pads but if it has separate EPB motors one on each rear caliper (like the F-Type) then you need different pads.
If you upgrade to 400 mm front and 380(?) mm rear rotors such as the Alcons then you will also need new calipers, caliper brackets and splash shield which would get real expensive real fast, you can't use the bigger rotors with the OEM 380/376 calipers and pads.
Thanks, very much appreciated. Hart sounds the way to go, don't know if they are the same mob but i run Hart barrels on my bench rifles.
Mick.