XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Exclusivity

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I'll bet that the Jaguar Car Company would like to sell a whole lot more XKs in the US, and the rest of the world too; and XJs, XFs, F-type and so on.

It is clear that Tata Motors have very big plans for Jaguar now that the styling is back in the main stream. OK, I like my X350, (old style !!), very much, but then I am getting on a bit now. I am sure the youngsters just yawn when we mention XK120s, D-Types, E-types, Mark 2 etc

Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a doubt the xkr-s, xkr are the most exclusive xk's...how do they depreciate and or hold their value is a telling feature Im learning with regards to exclusivity

There are other older Jags that are more exclusive ....and some actually rise in value....along this vein...is this why porsche is losing its appeal or allure?

I agree my 2009 XKR was a pure joy to drive and one of the best cars I ever owned. still tempted to explore the xkr-s

I love what Ian did with the design....the xk's (r's) are wonderful cars.....they led me to buy the aston martin...it is pure art on wheels ( 5000-7000) built in the world. each production year...not as fast as the xkr...just the pkg I wanted...BUT the xkr-s...still lurks in my conscious...lol

As Im learning more about cars, besides the joy of driving and the art of their design....most drop in value.....the more rare or exclusive tend to hold their value or the rate of depreciation is different than other nice cars....but when all is said and "........the XK's are certainly a great unique car to own and a fabulous car to drive for so many individual reasons

Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
Quote:"There are 100 coupes and 25 vert's coming to US in 2012"

These are not the numbers of all XK's imported into the US in 2012. What are your numbers?
Yes- I was referring to Xkr-s only. I've been told 100 more in 13 and 100 more in 2014 and that's the end.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewman
Without a doubt the xkr-s, xkr are the most exclusive xk's...how do they depreciate and or hold their value is a telling feature Im learning with regards to exclusivity

There are other older Jags that are more exclusive ....and some actually rise in value....along this vein...is this why porsche is losing its appeal or allure?

I agree my 2009 XKR was a pure joy to drive and one of the best cars I ever owned. still tempted to explore the xkr-s

I love what Ian did with the design....the xk's (r's) are wonderful cars.....they led me to buy the aston martin...it is pure art on wheels ( 5000-7000) built in the world. each production year...not as fast as the xkr...just the pkg I wanted...BUT the xkr-s...still lurks in my conscious...lol

As Im learning more about cars, besides the joy of driving and the art of their design....most drop in value.....the more rare or exclusive tend to hold their value or the rate of depreciation is different than other nice cars....but when all is said and "........the XK's are certainly a great unique car to own and a fabulous car to drive for so many individual reasons
Go for the Xkr-s. you won't be disappointed. Better performance than any Aston, including the DBS. I drove a Xkr at a jag driving event on an auto cross- I was surprised at the difference in handling and especially power between the Xkr and Xkr-s (and the Xkr is a powerful car!)

Old 06-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
Yes- I was referring to Xkr-s only. I've been told 100 more in 13 and 100 more in 2014 and that's the end.
Thanks, that makes more sense. I appreciate the correction Octurbo.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Anyone have production numbers are for XKR coupe/convertible for recent years?

Thanks!

Skeeter

Skeeter,

I knew my 2009 Portfolio was rare, so I wrote to JaguarUSA and was told that 2009 Portfolio production totaled 180 coupes and 200 convertibles. I presume that was for the US market.

Rarity also depends on colors and options. My guesstimate is that there are 5 cars or less that are equipped exactly like mine. See this link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ertible-45154/ Jaguar's reply is a .pdf attachment to the above link.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-05-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I can only bow to those of you lucky to be in "R's" and "R-S"... But I'm still ecstatic with my lowly XK as well.
Even in Silver, she has enough eye appeal that when visiting an auto museum Grand Opening event this weekend, they flagged me off the street and asked me to park for free in their outdoor car show!

errrrr "OK"!

Got parked next to a sweet Lunar grey XKR and a DB9 convertible....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7226/7...61125a63_o.jpg

Sigh... I love my car.....

Last edited by CleverName; 07-31-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Delete attachment
Old 06-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Nice, I heard about that auto museum opening. Let me know how it is/was.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Well, it's a bit too "exclusive". Ever notice that Jag drivers don't flash their lights, finger waggle, nod or wave? It's like other Jag's don't exist.
I've had a few other Jags wave at me when passing by but they are quite rare in this area.

I ride motorcycles a lot and the wave is something you get used to....except when you encounter someone riding a BMW. They don't wave or even bother to look your way. I even stopped by the BMW dealer and looked at some bikes but the salesman wouldn't even talk to me (apparently, he didn't know about the $70,000 BMW in my garage or, I forgot to wear my suit made of money). Not until he walked outside and saw what I was riding did he came running over wanting to strike up a conversation. No more BMW's for me

I'm really hoping the ownership experience of this beautiful Jag will surpass that of my lemon BMW

Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gray XK
I've had a few other Jags wave at me when passing by but they are quite rare in this area.

I ride motorcycles a lot and the wave is something you get used to....except when you encounter someone riding a BMW. They don't wave or even bother to look your way. I even stopped by the BMW dealer and looked at some bikes but the salesman wouldn't even talk to me (apparently, he didn't know about the $70,000 BMW in my garage or, I forgot to wear my suit made of money). Not until he walked outside and saw what I was riding did he came running over wanting to strike up a conversation. No more BMW's for me

I'm really hoping the ownership experience of this beautiful Jag will surpass that of my lemon BMW
Now Jag owners, please remember to use all fingers when waving to a BMW driver!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Well, it's a bit too "exclusive". Ever notice that Jag drivers don't flash their lights, finger waggle, nod or wave? It's like other Jag's don't exist.
I think one sad part of my short-time Jag ownership is finding out that so few owners are actually drivers...

As a member of two other car clubs, I look forward to summer events where road trips (often crossing state lines) and autocross/track events (at nearly any rent-able facility on the west coast) is the main attraction.

Looking at Jag club events, I see classes on "How to judge" cars..... (Really?).
While other clubs gather to "Drive", it seems most Jag owners prefer gathering to "Park"...

Vince

Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Looking at Jag club events, I see classes on "How to judge" cars..... (Really?).

Vince
Now that's funny lol. I used to think it was the same with Ducati's. Once I started taking it to the track and out on the twisty roads I ran in to more and more enthusiasts who where actually very impressive riders despite their "reputation".

Sure, there are still many who keep them as garage queens (Ducs and Jags are both very functional works of art imho) but there are plenty who enjoy them for their capabilities as well as their beauty.

I'm hoping the Jag will be same as the Duc in that regard. I've only had this car for 2 weeks but I get compliments on it where ever I go. People just stop and drool over the thing (much like I did when I pulled in to the dealership lol)

Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Funny thing, but there is a black XK or XKR (have not seen the badge) that frequents the same grocery store as me. So far I have not managed to pass it in the car park when I have been driving mine. I think it might be one of the cars that was in the local dealer when I was looking for one. I saw a convertible with a dealer plate Monday. Somebody owns a silver coupe with a body kit that makes it look like an old lady dragging a skirt too long for her. Hate it.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I think one sad part of my short-time Jag ownership is finding out that so few owners are actually drivers...
I think we'll see interest in using the car for track days increase in the future. Jaguar is very focused on performance with their new R models, and encouraging new and younger performance oriented buyers with that, their advertising, and R Academy. Whether that'll translate into many running it on the track is a big jump though. People buy these expensive cars for their beauty, GT comfort, and then performance, and that's different from most cars you find at the track. I've never seen an Aston or Gran Turismo at the track for the same reasons. Owners of these kind of cars are more likely to already have a track car if they have interest in track days, although as resale prices drop with age they may become more attractive for that use.

As far as the wave goes, I've only passed 2 XK's on the road, and both waved...but I had met both earlier those days. One pulled into a parking lot as I was parking and I went over to say hi. She showed me pics on her cell phone that she had taken earlier in the day when she parked beside me in another parking lot! The other owners I had met when walking through a park and they were sitting not far from the car.

Bruce

Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I ALWAYS get a wave from other XKs when we both have the vert down. On the other hand, XJ and XF drivers don't even bat an eyelid when I pass them. Guess that's the group you're referring to.

Mike

Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
People buy these expensive cars for their beauty, GT comfort, and then performance, and that's different from most cars you find at the track. I've never seen an Aston or Gran Turismo at the track for the same reasons.
Bruce
I spoke too soon...there was a gorgeous '09 Maserati Gran Turismo at the track today, along with several Ferrari and the usual Vettes, Vipers and Porsche. Lovely car inside and out, but man did it have a large fender gap and dinky wheels. Not very quick with 420-430 hp and crushing 4700 lbs, and the upgraded Tubby exhaust sounded pretty weak.

Bruce

Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Interesting thing happened today, I was at a business meeting at a golf and country club. In the late afternoon the meeting was over and I was walking out to my car. The valet service was just moving a fairly new Aston Martin from the entrance to the parking lot. I pointed it out to a close buiness associate. He then said, "I saw a beautiful car, a Jaguar XK something....." I said "R?" "Yes, I've never seen one before, it was beautiful. It was an '07"
I replied "Oh yes they are a great looking car."
I bit my tongue and said nothing about having one on order. Now that's something, what are the chances? Absolutely no Jag in sight yet it still brings comments.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exclusivity is relative. I live in a bucolic little city (pop 61,000) on I30 between Dallas, Shreveport, and Little Rock. Probably more pickups than cars, yet there are owners of, according to my independent service guy, the following (numbers approx):

5 xkr's
3 xk's + 2 E-types
10+ Jag sedans
2 Maserati Coupe CC
3 Maserati Quatroportes
2 Ford Gt's
6+ Ferraris (all 4XX and above, except 1 beautiful Dino)
16+ Porsches
2 Astons, a V8 Vantage and a DB9
2 Lambo Gallardos

Most are driven regularly, and occasionally crash into trees (F430).

We all honk and "thumbs up"....even to Panameras......well, the little old lady in the white Quatroporte doesn't really understand why these people are honking at her.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray XK
Now that's funny lol. I used to think it was the same with Ducati's. Once I started taking it to the track and out on the twisty roads I ran in to more and more enthusiasts who where actually very impressive riders despite their "reputation".

Sure, there are still many who keep them as garage queens (Ducs and Jags are both very functional works of art imho) but there are plenty who enjoy them for their capabilities as well as their beauty.

I'm hoping the Jag will be same as the Duc in that regard. I've only had this car for 2 weeks but I get compliments on it where ever I go. People just stop and drool over the thing (much like I did when I pulled in to the dealership lol)
Being both a car and a motorcycle nut I find that very few car drivers wave, yet almost all motorcyclists do, even Ducatistas. The only consistant exceptions are the Harley riders that are not dressed appropriately (I always ride with full gear no matter how hot it is) with dew rags instead of helmets and sleeveless shirts with no jackets showing off their tats just waiting to be road rash. I always feel like asking them "are you feeling lucky today?".

Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ronev
Exclusivity is relative. I live in a bucolic little city (pop 61,000) on I30 between Dallas, Shreveport, and Little Rock. Probably more pickups than cars, yet there are owners of, according to my independent service guy, the following (numbers approx):

5 xkr's
3 xk's + 2 E-types
10+ Jag sedans
2 Maserati Coupe CC
3 Maserati Quatroportes
2 Ford Gt's
6+ Ferraris (all 4XX and above, except 1 beautiful Dino)
16+ Porsches
2 Astons, a V8 Vantage and a DB9
2 Lambo Gallardos

Most are driven regularly, and occasionally crash into trees (F430).

We all honk and "thumbs up"....even to Panameras......well, the little old lady in the white Quatroporte doesn't really understand why these people are honking at her.
I'm not too terribly far from you (as distance is measured out here... I'm far from pretty much everything if you ask me), just across into MO. I don't see lots of nice cars day to day, but when I was looking around for a shop to install my clear bra I stumbled on a place not far from here that had installation pictures on their website. Pretty much every marquee make and model was represented from Bentley to Ferarri. The guy had done 2 Gallardos in the month of Feb. alone! I asked him about it and he said most of the time they come on a truck, get dropped off, he does the install and then back on the truck for re-delivery.

I was surprised... I don't see them around but that doesn't mean they're not out there.

Quick Reply: Exclusivity