XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Exclusivity

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Being both a car and a motorcycle nut I find that very few car drivers wave, yet almost all motorcyclists do, even Ducatistas. The only consistant exceptions are the Harley riders that are not dressed appropriately (I always ride with full gear no matter how hot it is) with dew rags instead of helmets and sleeveless shirts with no jackets showing off their tats just waiting to be road rash. I always feel like asking them "are you feeling lucky today?".
Yeah, we have the famed shirtless "Hardley" Riders around here too. The lack of gear doesn't really bug me anymore though. I've eaten it at the track several times and I know how well the gear works so, I always wear it when I ride. Some people just have to learn the hard way.....

The "wave" is more of a bike thing imho. One thing is for sure, people sure notice this car when it's parked. We were sitting outside have a beer and a pizza the other day and nearly everyone who walked by the car took a lap around the thing. It actually freaked me out a little lol

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I was in Georgetown (uppity part of DC) yesterday waiting in my girlfriend's Sonata while she was shopping (that's another story) and I saw at least 2 Porsche 911s drive by, countless Mercs, BMWs, Audis, etc. I did not see a SINGLE XK. I didn't even see an XJ! Or an XF for that matter!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I actually saw an XK that wasn't in my dreams.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I don't see many 07+ XK's around Boston, but a ton of older ones and plenty of other Jaguar models. Heck, my Jaguar indy shop has barely seen the current XK. They look at mine like "Wow".

In the last two months, I may've seen about 4 XK's. Definetly puts the XK on the rarity level of new Ferrari, Lambo, RR, or Aston, but so does a K car, lol...

Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Haha, speaking of exotic cars, since I've seen my last 2007+ XK, I've seen a Mercedes SLS AMG, a Lotus Esprit, Bentley CGT Drophead Coupe, Maserati Quattroporte. The list goes on and on!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 777 Posts

One of the reasons I enjoy my cars: I too like the exclusivity. And its not for any one else's enjoyment but, my own. I genuinely "feel good" when going down the road.

And as for all of those people who stop to chat and claim that "it must be in the garage all the time"... well they don't have one, which keeps me exclusive. :-)

Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Who cares if it has to be "in the garage" all the time (even though it's not true)? Owner involvement has always been one of the hallmarks of Jaguar ownership. What is it with supposed "car enthusiasts" these days that they think the best car is the one that is the one that they can just hop in and go without ever caring for it?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Who cares if it has to be "in the garage" all the time (even though it's not true)? Owner involvement has always been one of the hallmarks of Jaguar ownership. What is it with supposed "car enthusiasts" these days that they think the best car is the one that is the one that they can just hop in and go without ever caring for it?
Exactly my thoughts. My high school age daughter is a car enthusiast at heart, but for now she gets our older family Toyota that's been ultra- reliable.

Jags need (sometimes) weekly attention, but it's worth it for the exclusivity which I find I enjoy more than I thought I would.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
cpf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Being both a car and a motorcycle nut I find that very few car drivers wave, yet almost all motorcyclists do, even Ducatistas. The only consistant exceptions are the Harley riders that are not dressed appropriately (I always ride with full gear no matter how hot it is) with dew rags instead of helmets and sleeveless shirts with no jackets showing off their tats just waiting to be road rash. I always feel like asking them "are you feeling lucky today?".
I am also both a car and motorcycle nut also owning:

2002 Ducati 750 Monster
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

also a 1995 Alfa 164 LS.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok, I'll chime in... This past Sunday the wife and are stopped in to a little upscale hip area nearby that has outdoor cafes, wine tasting spot, independent film theater, shopping, night club, high end furniture etc. There is often a band playing outside in the middle of the block. Anyhow, this area normally has all sorts of exotics and nice cars.

So since it's Sunday we get a nice spot about mid block and in the thick of everything. We grab desert and coffee directly across from the XKR and are sitting outside. We were blown away that nearly EVERY person that walked by it - old, young, couples all women etc either stopped or pointed. Many stood by it for a while talking and looking at it. I'm thinking - this shape has been out since 07! And the name plate is just Jag. It's not Aston, Lambo, Ferarri. All the more reason the oggling is more rewarding! Often people oggle $ no matter how it looks. If they know it is silly expensive they oggle. But a Jag isn't $200k and they know it. In fact, I'll be most people have no idea our Jag crosses $100k. So when they look it is primarily over the fact that the XK looks like rolling art.

That being said I'm sure it got about 30-40% MORE attention because it was lowered. Cars that are normal height look - shall we say pedestrian or average. When lowered it begins to enter "what the heck is that low wide exotic" sort of realm and it's presence spikes. Same happened with all of my cars.

Separate note, I took a business day trip to San Antonio today. Pulling out of the rental car facility I see an 10' or 11' White XKR sitting in a lot for sale. Very rare site and especially in white!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

And this is why I got an XKR

Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
And this is why I got an XKR
Exclusivity made my top 10 list of reasons too...in fact, right after the perfect stance and presence that looks anything but average

Evoking, the XKR isn't like a Maserati Gran Turismo that looks like it has a lift kit on it. Most high-end performance cars from the past clearly benefited from lowering, but the better examples like the modern XKR don't require it. But those that prefer to have it lower still, or want more of a custom look should feel free to indulge with whatever mods that turn their crank. And if Jag drops the stock XKR much further modders will have to start raising them to look different....hahaha

Bruce