XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

F***ed Up Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:24 AM
Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
With so much plastic on todays engines this is going to happen as things get older. You cant look at them wrong without breaking. Had that been a good piece and not brittle to start with you can bend them in half and not break them. As carefull as we try to be with known issues like this, if they break we replace them and the customer pays. And anytime im doing coolant repair i always quote those bleed pipes because they many times break removing them. If they dont and theyre old it just does not pay to leave them because they often break, esecially when a car has broken engine mounts too. That piece does not have a update and yes you can easily change it rev. Pop off the little clips on the engine side, remove the pipe, lube the orings on the new pipe and snap in place on the tubes on the engine. Connect at the reservoir and follow proper bleed and fill proceedures.
I'd have to agree, plastics of that era get very brittle in the engine bay. A minor job on my brothers Merc turned into an all day nightmare when a plastic coolant pipe disintegrated just by moving it out the way. Had to order a new one and it took a week to get in

I can understand that you're upset but the way I look at it is that it would've given way sooner or later and replacing it now would be a good investment. Kudos to you for not suing them, you can bet it would've come straight out of the poor kids wages.