XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is another link to UTube video of the V8 and V6.

The following users liked this post:
drc (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I went to the DC autoshow on Sunday and saw and sat in the F-type. I am only 5'8" and felt cramped in the car. Don't think I will consider it. I'll stick with my XK.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM

I'm 6'1" so the F-Type might e a problem for me. I have read the next generation XK is going to be bigger with back seats that can be used for passengers - which is not that important to me. I also hear it is going more up-scale to separate it from the F-Type. The XK line is at the top of my budget now so I was thinking about the F-Type for my next car if and when they came out with a coupe version. The XK is the perfect size for me now. The XK8 coupe I traded in was too cramped in headroom and legroom. I put up with it for 13 years because I loved the car. The XK was a great improvement in comfort in both those areas and it has 16 way power seats. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by elindo
I went to the DC autoshow on Sunday and saw and sat in the F-type. I am only 5'8" and felt cramped in the car. Don't think I will consider it. I'll stick with my XK.
WHAT?!? They let you sit in it! I wasn't allowed to get within 5 feet of it!

A sports car is supposed to be cramped. It's a sports car, not a GT car! Comfort is secondary!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

>> I am only 5'8" and felt cramped in the car.

That's odd: I'm 6ft 4in, and I sat in the F type at the Orlando Jaguar Alive - and I had plenty of room. It seemed similar to my XK in interior size.
For comparison, I fit in a Merc SL, but not an SLK - which is similar in exterior size to the F type.
But Jeez - the cost: they were talking $80K for the V8 version. That'll be well-over 90k with options, taxes and 'dealer additional mark-up'.....

A word of caution however: these are probably 'pre-production' cars (the one I sat in certainly was), and the real thing could change slightly.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyB
>> .................................................. ............
But Jeez - the cost: they were talking $80K for the V8 version. That'll be well-over 90k with options, taxes and 'dealer additional mark-up'.....
I think the next generation XK/XKR will probably be priced at least $20,000 north of where they are today. This is just an opinion, but Jaguar wants separation in the F-Type and the XK series and like mentioned above if the price stayed around the same on the XK they would walk over each other.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up F-Type

I saw the F-type at the San Jose show. Much better looking in person. I think the coupe will look even better. I hope it has 50/50 weight distribution. Jaguar has got to do something about the happy tail syndrome! Thanks for posting the pics - they're great! I like the new Stingray!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by drc
Jaguar has got to do something about the happy tail syndrome!
I sure hope not! But they will be offering two less torquey models so everyone should be happy

Bruce

Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

The XKR, while tail happy, is extremely easy to control when the tail does get out. I think it's because of the long wheelbase, but also because it has an open diff. From my limited experience with high-powered limited-slip differential cars, the effect of losing grip in the rear with a limited-slip differential is much more dramatic. With the Jag, it seems it's typically the inside wheel that is spinning away. Of course, the open diff may not be the best for lap times, but for real-world control-ability, I think it helps.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I notice the tail swings more on left hand turns than right.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

That makes sense due to the Coriolis effect.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyB
>>
I have an official Jaguar F-type brochure in front of me and the V-8 MSRP is shown at $92,000. The little * next to the price indicates that it excludes options. This is less than $6K below the XKR coupe and less than $10K below the XKR convertible MSRP and is higher than the XK vert.

The V6 base is listed at $69K while the V6 S model is at $81K.

Seem to me that the pricing is too high in comparison to the present XK/XKR line. Compared to other car makes, such as the Carrera, the pricing appears to be more in line. Right off the bat, I would rather pay for the V8 F-type than for the Carrera, despite the weight issue.

Albert

Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

If those are the prices, the F-Type won't be flying out the door. They'll need to add another 5-10K on base price of XK or lower the F-Type by the same amount.

Pricing two lines near each other just confuses the distinction between models. There's need to be more room between F-Type and XK to make the XK more of an aspirational model like they do with Cayman/Boxster and 911.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The car I sat in was a production car. As I adjusted the seat back I heard the seat squeaking against the rear shelf. Perhaps if I had more time I could have found the right position, but, at the show I was just happy to be able to finally sit in it. The car looks so much better in person.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by elindo
The car I sat in was a production car. As I adjusted the seat back I heard the seat squeaking against the rear shelf. Perhaps if I had more time I could have found the right position, but, at the show I was just happy to be able to finally sit in it. The car looks so much better in person.
Agreed. In person, you don't even notice the semi-goofy front end. I think the 2007-2011's have that sort of effect as well. They have some minor awkward bits in the photos, but in person they look perfect!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Forgive my ignorance, but in which ways is the F-Type V8 a lower value car than the current XKR vert? I know it doesn't have a rear seat, but what else has it given up? I believe the engine and transmission is basically the same, active exhaust, e-diff, small trunk?

Bruce

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Forgive my ignorance, but in which ways is the F-Type V8 a lower value car than the current XKR vert? I know it doesn't have a rear seat, but what else has it given up? I believe the engine and transmission is basically the same, active exhaust, e-diff, small trunk?

Bruce
Bruce

I'd say it is the size that mostly matters in differentiating the two. The XKR has a much more impressive size, a full foot longer, longer wheelbase, etc. It becomes a "perception" issue where the F-type will be seen as the "small" Jaguar, just in the ways of the XF, while having the same drive train options as the XJ, is still considered the small Jaguar sedan. The differences are well represented in the pricing, as well. I would like to see a similar differentiation in prices between similarly equipped F-types and the XKR. Then, I think, the F-type could be a significant success.

As to performance expectations; I fully expect the F-type with the V8 to easily outrun the XKR in track competitions, just as I'm sure that the XF would similarly outrun the XJ.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 02-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Albert,

I think the larger and more upscale new XK will more easily justify a higher sticker price over the F-Type, but I'm not so sure I see much difference between the existing XK and the F-Type. If those two have the same or similar features and luxury appointments, and the F-Type is superior in handling and performance, then I would personally feel it has a higher value than the XK, not lesser...if performance was an important factor in my purchase. Smaller size and greater attention to weight reduction would add to my value of the car.

If touring comfort/space and traditional Jaguar styling were the important factors then I'd value the XK slightly higher, and the new XK probably considerably higher.

I'm not sure where its pricing will be compared to competitive convertibles from other manufacturers...but there certainly won't be many to choose between. I was just glad to hear the F-Type was going to be considerably less expensive than the current XK...but won't be at all surprised if it's not

Bruce

Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Haha, I think this is one of the first times I've heard the 2007+ XK/Rs referred to as having traditional styling!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Albert,

I'm not sure where its pricing will be compared to competitive convertibles from other manufacturers...but there certainly won't be many to choose between. I was just glad to hear the F-Type was going to be considerably less expensive than the current XK...but won't be at all surprised if it's not

Bruce
I would really like to see the base 3.0 SC come well under 60K (not a big fan of 3.0 engines in a high performance car) and the V8 SC under 80K. Those would be attractive price points for me. 69K for the base or 92K for the V8, plus options, however, make me want to look around for something else. Mind you, this without seeing the car in real life form. It may change my mind when I do.

Albert

Quick Reply: F-Type