XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Dealership I bought my car from has an F-Type in the showroom, but no one has driven it yet. They are going to an F-Type event next month in Austin for dealer training and to drive the car.

My hunch is that Jaguar wants to really set things up correct so the message and sale is clear among dealers. This is making to be a heck of a car, IMO.
Seems like they're trying to do it "for real" this time... I like what I hear/see. Being mindful of your own brand image doesn't exactly hurt.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Got an invitation to check out the F type this weekend.....looking forward to it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I'm sure others from the forum will also receive and invitation to enter some sweepstakes to win a test drive of the F-type on April 11th in Austion, TX. I've already entered for a chance to drive the car and see it match up against the 911, Boxter and BMW Z4. Hope someone from the forum will win a ticket for the show.

Other: for those who want more than double of the XKR-S power for a few percent more in price, here is the Shelby 1000. 1200 HP! WOW! Where does the HP race end?

Shelby announces a 1,200 horsepower Ford Mustang | Fox News

Albert

Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Other: for those who want more than double of the XKR-S power for a few percent more in price, here is the Shelby 1000. 1200 HP! WOW! Where does the HP race end?

Shelby announces a 1,200 horsepower Ford Mustang | Fox News

Albert
I've heard comments that members struggle for traction with 510 hp. 1200 would be slightly harder!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I"m getting antsy! Why hasn't any magazine been able to publish a review yet!?

Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I"m getting antsy! Why hasn't any magazine been able to publish a review yet!?
Seems to me that the April 11th event will be the Great Intro with all the press present and at the Circuit of the Americas track in Austin, Texas. They will have the Porsches and the BMW Z4 there to act as performance references.

According to the press info, Jag is bringing those cars to the track for comparison and my take is that the F-type is expected to beat them. They are bringing the 350 HP 911 Cabriolet and the Boxter and setting them against the V8 F-type. Should be interesting to see if the great weight advantage of the Porsche might be overcome by the extra 145 HP + torque of the Jag.

So, sit tight, it is almost here...

Albert

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Jaguar needs to at least lift it's flag ship sports car to meet the bar raised by the Nissan GT-R. The new Porsche 911 will be introducing an innovative 4 wheel steering to go with it's already leading AWD 911 turbo S. Nissan achieved it's goal of producing a sub $100K supercar which beats the Porsche 911. However, I don't see Jaguar stepping up to the plate to produce a truly innovative sports car. I must say I'm disappointed with the F-type's lack of innovation and effort to even be classified with the GT-R or new 911. Consequently, the F-type is a sub supercar--disappointing.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

They are pitching this as the successor to the E-type, the whole ethos behind the E-type was it being an affordable sports car and what made it work. They didn't care about it being a class leader, simply a good looking car with a decent amount of performance for a lot less cost. It worked.
If they kept this ethos in tact, it would have been another game changer. They haven't, they are charging for every option turning out a car that costs the same as 911's etc, hence why the focus is now upon pub banter regarding how it stands up to these high end sports cars. The F-type doesn't and will never have the technology of these competitors and will always lose, something that was never a problem with the E-Type.
They got the price and marketing completely wrong on this one. Just keep it a good looking car with a decent amount of grunt...the E-type is and will always be a show stopper.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar has evolved into a luxury brand and there really is no turning back now. I think if they released a $35-40k sports car, it would do a lot of damage to the brand!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Jaguar has evolved into a luxury brand and there really is no turning back now. I think if they released a $35-40k sports car, it would do a lot of damage to the brand!
Yes a luxury brand, not a brand known for ground braking technology. It's the technology that cost money to develop, hides of leather don't. No Jaguar on the road has this technology yet, Jags are not known for this. The furthest they go is a GT sports car, I'd say its what this is their niche market and what they are best at.
The F-type is still miles away from the tech competitors, it's not that type of car. It's a small luxury GT car and what suits it.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I must say I'm disappointed with the F-type's lack of innovation and effort to even be classified with the GT-R or new 911. Consequently, the F-type is a sub supercar--disappointing.
F type was never intended to be a supercar or compete with classless, cheap, grapefruite shooter Nissan.

If Jaguar wants, they can build a car that's faster than a Jet. That's not what their customer base is about, if you don't already know.

If the Nissan is so good, why didn't you buy it over your XKR?

v8cat (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I would suggest you read this article about an interview with a Jag exec. It appears that Jag intends to use Porsche philosophy on the future development of the F-type. Innovation and evolution in making a world class sports car seems to be a certainty for the F. As for making the F-type a direct competitor to the Nissan GTR, why? The GTR has phenomenal performance, but little else that would attract a Jaguar buyer; not very attractive, horrible interior, gimmicky boy racer character...For example, would you rather have an Aston Martin Vantage or a Nissan GTR? The Vantage is 50% more expensive with performance that is substantially less (than cars costing less than half its price as well). But given the choice, would anyone besides track day addicts choose a GTR? Of course not!
Take a look at this interview, then decide what you think.
Jaguar F-Type: expansion plans to mirror 911 philosophy | CarAdvice

Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default That statement is flat out wrong!

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
Yes a luxury brand, not a brand known for ground braking technology. It's the technology that cost money to develop, hides of leather don't. No Jaguar on the road has this technology yet, Jags are not known for this. The furthest they go is a GT sports car, I'd say its what this is their niche market and what they are best at.
The F-type is still miles away from the tech competitors, it's not that type of car. It's a small luxury GT car and what suits it.
You have got to be kidding? Please tell me what car(s), are technologically MILES ahead of the XK, XJ, XF or F-Type!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
F type was never intended to be a supercar or compete with classless, cheap, grapefruite shooter Nissan.

If Jaguar wants, they can build a car that's faster than a Jet. That's not what their customer base is about, if you don't already know.

If the Nissan is so good, why didn't you buy it over your XKR?
Nissan has grown into a leader in the industry because of innovation and delivering a year over year improved product, not from being cheap. If Jaguar is to grow the brand into a more reliable improved product it needs to adapt and deliver a better product with each iteration taking advantage of new technology and being innovative. My next sports car will be either a GT-R, Ferrari 458, or 911 turbo. If Jaguar were to produce a quality sports car I would look at it as well. I do like the XKR, but it is not in the same league as the above; in fact it is more like an American made muscle car with an exotic look. I do like the car given the price and today's market. There is nothing wrong with looking for improvement and increasing quality. Jaguar at least could have put a dual clutch transmission in the F-type. Slush boxes will only be found in cheap sports cars. With a new sports car being introduced I expected more. As you can tell I have no loyalty to brand only to innovation and quality. I'm a free agent and will buy the best mouse trap available for the dollar.

Last edited by DGL; 03-28-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
You have got to be kidding? Please tell me what car(s), are technologically MILES ahead of the XK, XJ, XF or F-Type!
Have to agree with this. What regular cars have Jaguar's innovative construction methods and double wishbones front and rear? Jag's V8 is one of the best V8's available and is above average in reliability... Jaguar is doing things right IMO and once the XF is relaunched in aluminum, they'll have really etched their place in the market.

F-type just needs to be on par with the competitors; there is something always faster... I don't care about 4 wheel steering, electric turbos, and dual clutch transmissions... Sounds like more crap to break... Jag already has been working hard to shed their image of a nickel and dime fixer and introducing the above is not going to help them.

They know what they are doing and am not second guessing them. More non-natural color leather options would be nice. Whatever happened to blue and burgundy leather?

My biggest fear for the marque is that they may start manufacturing Jag's outside of Britian. Land Rover, I don't mind and it looks like Saudi Arabia is going to be a done deal...

Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
I think you're confusing the two technologies, yes the models you mentioned have touch screen, voice control on the inside etc....as does my iPhone and many other regular car brands. It's standard tech these days.
We where debating mechanical performance related technologies due to the pricing and how Jag are pitching it against brands like Porsche. These other car manufactures have a racing thoroughbred from F1, Le mans etc, they invest millions of dollars developing mechanical parts; braking systems, fuel systems, steering, gearboxes, axels etc etc, that eventually make it into the road cars. The F-Type is still miles behind all of this, as things stand it shares parts with Land Rover an SUV company.
As someone mentioned earlier, I really don't care for any of these performance related gismos, hence why I'm driving a XKR. I just want a good looking car, with a decent amount of power and luxury. This is what the F-Type is.

Aston Martin Vantage made the exact same mistake upon launch, going head to head with Porsche. It lost.... then quietly retired to find it's niche market of very high end luxury sports car.
This will be the same story for the F-Type once the magazines do their head to head road tests, it will lose....unless they find a hardcore racing partner and make the car lighter, change most of the mechanical parts, then we have decent pub banter about numbers and 'the ring'.

Don't get me wrong, I love the F-type and will be buying a coupe because of what it is...a luxury GT coupe and not a racing car.

Last edited by johnnnnnnyy; 03-29-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

I have to agree with johnnnnnnnnyy somewhat. After test driving many different models at Jaguar Alive, including an XKR and XFR-S, it is apparent to me that Jaguar's advanced aluminum construction still doesn't yield the most engaging drive. For me, if you take away Jaguar's beautiful looks, awesome sounds and exclusivity, you're left with sort of a ho-hum experience. The brand still has a lot of catching up to do, but maybe it's unrealistic to expect such a small car company to compete.

I'm not expecting the F-Type to come close to any Porsche in terms of being a real drivers car. And being engaging to drive is what wins magazine comparisons, not the numbers game!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 03-29-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Nissan has grown into a leader in the industry because of innovation and delivering a year over year improved product, not from being cheap. If Jaguar is to grow the brand into a more reliable improved product it needs to adapt and deliver a better product with each iteration taking advantage of new technology and being innovative. My next sports car will be either a GT-R, Ferrari 458, or 911 turbo. If Jaguar were to produce a quality sports car I would look at it as well. I do like the XKR, but it is not in the same league as the above; in fact it is more like an American made muscle car with an exotic look. I do like the car given the price and today's market. There is nothing wrong with looking for improvement and increasing quality. Jaguar at least could have put a dual clutch transmission in the F-type. Slush boxes will only be found in cheap sports cars. With a new sports car being introduced I expected more. As you can tell I have no loyalty to brand only to innovation and quality. I'm a free agent and will buy the best mouse trap available for the dollar.
I respect your passion for performance, but, I am a little confused. You say you bought the XKR given the price, when you could have had the technologically advanced and more reliable GT-R for $20,000-$30,000 less.....why didn't you go for it?

Jaguar was on the top of the reliability list last year and many rows over Nissan and most car brands in the industry.

The interior in the GT-R looks like a newborn assembled it like legos. Bunch of plastic parts thrown together without continutity. It would be a huge downgrade from your XKR.
Image Detail for - 2012 Nissan GT-R interior&

ZF 6/8 speeds are one of the best transmissions and that's why Jaguar hasn't replaced it with dual clutch. Bentley's W12s are pushing out close to 700 pounds of torque through them with no problems.

Last edited by Executive; 03-29-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default F Type

Originally Posted by DGL
Jaguar needs to at least lift it's flag ship sports car to meet the bar raised by the Nissan GT-R. The new Porsche 911 will be introducing an innovative 4 wheel steering to go with it's already leading AWD 911 turbo S. Nissan achieved it's goal of producing a sub $100K supercar which beats the Porsche 911. However, I don't see Jaguar stepping up to the plate to produce a truly innovative sports car. I must say I'm disappointed with the F-type's lack of innovation and effort to even be classified with the GT-R or new 911. Consequently, the F-type is a sub supercar--disappointing.
I would have agreed with you if you had used Porsche to set the bar but not the GTR. The GTR is a back breaking, road noisy uncomfortable track car posing as a street car. Anybody can do that. The trick is to build a car that is quiet, comfortable, exciting and able to track. Everything the GTR is not. They did that with the XKRS and I think they will do it with the F Type.....I hope. We will see. Earlier I ranted about the F-type being to heavy. I was pissed off! But the more I think about why I drive a Jaguar the more I appreciate it for what it is, not what we are projecting it should be. It is going to take some time. Porsche has been fine tuning the 911 for 20 years or so. Yet we expect Jag to make a 911 eater right away. That's not fair or realistic. There is something special about Jaguars and I hope that they don't loose that.

v8cat (03-30-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

jaguar....as a great luxury brand...is there.......but as a technologically advanced company....not even close.

as mentioned before...touch screens and bluetooth dont cut it anymore. Plus those arent the technologies that we're talking about when it comes to levels of that stature....we're talking magnetic ride suspension, electronically controlled engine mounts....even stuff as small as spoilers and vents that adjust dynamically.

they have always been and probably always will be behind in all sense of technology. a ford focus can park itself. a volvo can stop itself before you hit the car ahead of you. it wasnt until 2011 did Jaguar finally put an HDD in the car, or a rear camera on the XJ, the FLAGSHIP sedan. stuff my infiniti had in 2007.

Quick Reply: F-Type