XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

F-type R coupe makes the X150 look so ordinary

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

daily driver but travel internationally a lot so I guess it is a tweener but I have been going into the garage every morning and smiling knowing I finally have my 175 .... and it is in my garage. What a rocket and it is amazing the excuses I have given my wife to drive somewhere. I had never seen the Kasuga rims chromed on any other 175 and REALLY worried that it would be too much but man was I wrong. It is perfect and the Pilot Supersports are fantastic tires.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Greek175,
Congrats on a beautiful car.

I have two XKR's so I guess you'll know where my bias is, but I love the F-type as well. I will tell you the one thing that bothers me about its looks. And you wouldn't notice this in a "vacuum," however, when I was parked next to an F-type last year at the All English Car Show in Los Angeles, (in my 2002 XKR), it was astonishing to see how high the front end/hoodline is on the F-type as opposed to either generation XK/XKR. It may be the European pedestrian collision regulations that makes the height a necessity, but it hurts the sports car looks at the front end. I know on the F-type forum, some have lowered their cars an inch or more, and it definitely improves the looks.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

TBerg thank you for the kind words. Looking at your stable--solid choices always loved Pateras and used to race the older Z cars when I had my full race 73' 2002Tii. I have really tried to get on board with the F type but not liking it from all angles as well. The *** is nice no question but doesn't do anything from the side profile again reminding me of a Miata. Now, the F type coupe R looks real nice but still...too short and talking to the Jag factory mechanic lots of F owners have told him that the ride is a beating. I am VERY content with everything about my new 175 solid no squeaks or rattles and you push that right pedal and ear to ear grin!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
tberg (02-11-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm back and coming up for air after 3 mergers and months of 75 hour work weeks, even through the holidays.

I like the F-type but LOVE my car! Each have certain lines that you can appreciate. I was afraid the XKR would start to look dated but after not driving it for months the car still looks fresh in my eyes, gets stares and thumbs up from even Ferrari guys. The car just has a certain character to it that I love. This may be my first car that I keep as it does everything I want well.. Not perfect but very well, and its unique and no longer available... It just has a timeless look to it, that not many cars on the road have these days.

The F-type is slightly different car, its not a GT but true 2 seat sports car and also a bit small for me. One of my good friends has a black F-Type R convertible that is gorgeous, but the XKR still gets the looks when the two are together.

The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
DGL (02-17-2015), Lothar52 (02-11-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Welcome back, we've missed your posts.

Attached Thumbnails F-type R coupe makes the X150 look so ordinary-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg  
Lothar52 (02-28-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I'm back and coming up for air after 3 mergers and months of 75 hour work weeks, even through the holidays.

I like the F-type but LOVE my car! Each have certain lines that you can appreciate. I was afraid the XKR would start to look dated but after not driving it for months the car still looks fresh in my eyes, gets stares and thumbs up from even Ferrari guys. The car just has a certain character to it that I love. This may be my first car that I keep as it does everything I want well.. Not perfect but very well, and its unique and no longer available... It just has a timeless look to it, that not many cars on the road have these days.

The F-type is slightly different car, its not a GT but true 2 seat sports car and also a bit small for me. One of my good friends has a black F-Type R convertible that is gorgeous, but the XKR still gets the looks when the two are together.

Welcome Back!! DGL and I were just saying the other day we hope you are oK!! How is the XKR doing? Are you still doing 1/4 miles in her?? Any word about your tune? Did the last one hold up and keep before the ECU crapped on it?!? My headlights are fogging up again.... uuugggghhhhhhhhhh

Old 02-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Hmmm...well today I almost had an accident driving my X-Type Sportwagon. Why? because of my complete loss of attention to driving when I saw parked at a meter the most gorgeous machine - it was sculpture in black metal. It was a brand new F-Type coupé...and the owner (who was feeding the meter) told me that he had just traded his 2009 XKR for this F-Type - which has the supercharged 5 litre engine. It is a truly beautiful car from every angle. My own XK is beautiful, a future classic without doubt, but the F-Type, while different, a bit more raw perhaps, has a beauty and strength of its own.

Lothar52 (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

I would have to agree... If I had the extra 100,000 laying around Id own a 2015 F-Type R without a doubt over any other similarly priced car. Peroid.

thocar (02-12-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Well our dealers had a silver f-type in there yesterday which I really think is the most flattering colour for it, it looked awesome. But even though I was tempted enough to have a sit inside, I don't know that it is a car I could use, given the absence of rear crap room and a smaller boot area.

Coming back to the OP, I don't think I would say that it makes the XK look ordinary, but it is certainly a very nice looking car.

The following 3 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
andys-GR (02-17-2015), DGL (02-16-2015), ralphwg (02-16-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum but I thought I'd chime in with my opinion. I own a 2010 XKR, I went in to the dealer with intention to look at the F-type, but I was really disappointed when I did. My first impression, pretty much the same with all these modern sports cars, the "cockpit" design is just awful, I hate the cramped feeling. I am not a small guy, 6'5 300lbs, and there is just 0 hip room. I will say the rear end of the F-type looks amazing, but that gopping mouth front end is just horrible, completely destroys the look of the car in my opinion.

To me, it seems as though Jag took a page from the Audi book and decided a giant flat wall at the front was a better design. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect them all, it's just not my cup of tea!

I personally think Jag should have stuck to this front end design, I think it's just beautiful

Lothar52 (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:48 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA

Good to hear from you Max. We were getting worried about you. How's the tune holding up? You have one of the best looking XKR's around, a real head turner!

Last edited by DGL; 02-17-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Good to hear from you Max. We were getting worried about you. How's the tune holding up? You have one of the best looking XKR's around, a real head turner!
I would agree with that statement I have subscribed on instagram to your detailers page and he frequently puts you up... its much better looking that a XKR-S in my opinion... I have this opinion likely because I own a ultimate black XKR as well - 2012 . haha. But there is something to be said for the standard XKR package. It just has a more Jaguar beautiful look than the race-car looking XKR-S. the front end is TOTALLY different - more suttle and gorgeous then the aggressive XKR-S.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts
Default X150 - Faithful to the E-Type Design

The F-Type just doesn't do it for me; just to stubby looking and a bit claustrophobic. And my XKR has all the performance I need at this stage of the game. All the hype about the F-Type being the successor to the E-Type is marketing hype; the X150 looks more like the E-Type than the F-Type does, even though the F-Type has some E-Type styling cues.

The 1961 E-Type Series I (a.k.a. "XKE") is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful, if not THE most beautiful, car designs of all time. It's one of only three cars in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. So it's no surprise that Ian Callum decided to pay homage to that classic design with the X150.

I think Ian Callum's initial X150 design captured all of the essence of the E-Type, including the oval grille with the horizontal bar, hood bulge, covered headlamps, long, lithe, and curvy shape, profile, rear end and tail lights all have their design roots in the E-Type. You can see the similarities in these photos. I think the E-Type DNA is better in the X150 than its predecessor XK8, although some may disagree.

You can see the E-Type tail light DNA in the X150, namely, a long, horizontal light incorporating a circle inboard and tapering to a point outboard. I think the 2010-up LED is the best modern interpretation.

The E-Type is a timeless and gorgeous classic work of rolling art. The X150 is a continuation of that design with a modern interpretation that is equally timeless, classic and gorgeous, IMHO.

I haven't gotten tired of my XKR and expect to keep it for a long time.

Stuart

The following 8 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Bruce H. (02-18-2015), BruceTheQuail (02-18-2015), DGL (02-18-2015), jagtoes (02-18-2015), ralphwg (02-22-2015), sharx8 (03-01-2015), tberg (02-18-2015), thocar (02-23-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

After reading through this thread, I finally had the opportunity yesterday at the local Jaguar agency to spend time with the F-Type.

Truthfully, I was expecting a design freed from the limits of the former owners, yet I found the F-Type Coupé R to fall short in many areas. From the awkward styling of the exterior to the poor fit and finish of many of the body panels, it did not seem to warrant the over 105 000$US price. I especially disliked the 'Jet' interior, starting with the terrible 'paddle-shifters' and the unnecessary appearance and disappearance of the fascia vents. The 'touch-screen' panel is dated along with the useless feature of being able to change the 'ambient lighting' colour. Perhaps this is an attempt to attract younger buyers to the marque?

The engine bay was also a disappointment aesthetically with cheap materials in abundance. I was very surprised to find hydraulic power steering fitted as even the Koreans and Japanese have moved to electric power assist to eliminate the complexity, weight and potential environmental impact of hydraulic systems.

When asked by the salesperson if I wanted to go for a drive, I declined as I was unable, after quite some time, to find a seating position that felt comfortable while keeping the controls within easy reach.

While I am very confident many members of this forum will disagree with my assessment of the F-Type, it appears I will be keeping my XK for the foreseeable future as I am now very underwhelmed with Jaguar's latest 'sports-car'. Surely the brand can do better than this package of compromises?

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
Lothar52 (02-28-2015), ralphwg (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat
After reading through this thread, I finally had the opportunity yesterday at the local Jaguar agency to spend time with the F-Type.

Truthfully, I was expecting a design freed from the limits of the former owners, yet I found the F-Type Coupé R to fall short in many areas. From the awkward styling of the exterior to the poor fit and finish of many of the body panels, it did not seem to warrant the over 105 000$US price. I especially disliked the 'Jet' interior, starting with the terrible 'paddle-shifters' and the unnecessary appearance and disappearance of the fascia vents. The 'touch-screen' panel is dated along with the useless feature of being able to change the 'ambient lighting' colour. Perhaps this is an attempt to attract younger buyers to the marque?

The engine bay was also a disappointment aesthetically with cheap materials in abundance. I was very surprised to find hydraulic power steering fitted as even the Koreans and Japanese have moved to electric power assist to eliminate the complexity, weight and potential environmental impact of hydraulic systems.

When asked by the salesperson if I wanted to go for a drive, I declined as I was unable, after quite some time, to find a seating position that felt comfortable while keeping the controls within easy reach.

While I am very confident many members of this forum will disagree with my assessment of the F-Type, it appears I will be keeping my XK for the foreseeable future as I am now very underwhelmed with Jaguar's latest 'sports-car'. Surely the brand can do better than this package of compromises?

There is no doubt that I scoff at the notion of the XK being outdated when compared to the F-Type. It is not outdated. Its the GT version of the F-type sports car. The newest iteration of the XK had a much more modern look with the body style of the E-type/XK - THAT NEVER EVER EVER GETS OUTDATED. ITS LIKE SAYING 36-24-36 IS OUTDATED!!!?!?!?

Ok. So the F-type does incorporate a more compact body and I have heard from a XKR-S owner who used to frequent this board that now owns a F-Type R that it is a more capable sports car and is lighter.

However... what is the purpose of the car?? The XK is a GT cruiser. A very powerful long distance car to be taken on fast long trips on the autobahn. Its not its fault the US has no autobahn for long trips??? The F-Type is a track bandit. Its meant to throttle!!! Can you throttle your XK? SUre! Can it take it??? Sure!! Was that its purpose?? No....its a GT!

Ok there we have it. Was the XK outdated? Its infotainment system was.... but just like you pointed out the F-Type's system is not state of the art!!!

However... There will be electric steering AND the new infotainment system will be better in the 2016 F-Type.

The following 3 users liked this post by Lothar52:
NBCat (02-28-2015), tberg (02-28-2015), v8cat (03-02-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I finally had a drive in an f-type a few days ago, I had it for a half day. It was a bright red 'vert with black wheels etc, 6 cyl, looked magic and a real attention getter. It was the basic pack with only a few options.

My immediate impression was that I didnt like it at all. The ride was very hard on the 19's, I couldnt see out of the rear quarter, the seats werent particularly comfortable (basic setup, not much to adjust), the leather was fairly cheap looking, the digital speedo is in the wrong place (down to the right of the screen and fairly small) and the analogue speedo is hopeless because it jumps from 60kph to 100kph and it is nearly impossible to see whether you are doing 70kph or 80kph which are our general speed limits. Then when I went to reverse to park it, I whacked my elbow into the back of the cabin twisting around. So by the time I had driven 10 minutes I was pretty much over it.

But then I took it out of dynamic mode, and the ride improved a bit - still too hard but probably about the same as the XKR in dynamic. I put the lid down and the vision improved quite a bit though the top of the windscreen seemed a bit low to me. The gearbox is very good, I had my doubts but it is lightning fast and I thought better to use than the XKR's even for a pretty average driver like me. The launch was good, I think as good as the XKR because you dont lose traction in the less powerful car. The engine note that we hear so much about wasnt all that impressive, I have to say. Not a patch on the XKR with the X pipe.

The interior layout is much more modern than the XKR, having gone from a 2012 XF into the XKR it was always stepping backward a little with the dash setup etc, and the f-type general interior layout would be awesome if it was XKR quality - probably it is in the f-type R. I still dont like the black touchscreen which I found to be very fiddly when I had the '12 XF, but it does look modern.

So after driving my wife around (she loved it, but loves the XKR more) and showing off to my daughter (who has pestered me ever since to buy it), and sporting some sunburn and a numb scalp from the wind hitting my hair, the real test was getting back into the XKR - would it feel old and tired? I have to say I was a little concerned it would. Well no, it was actually sublime getting back into the XKR, it was so much more comfortable. It really showed just how good the XKR is. Really what Jag should do is have a "***** option" for the suspension and tune it the same as the XKR - for those of us who want to have it as a daily drive. That'd probably get me into it.

The following 5 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
Lothar52 (03-01-2015), NBCat (02-28-2015), ralphwg (02-28-2015), sharx8 (03-01-2015), v8cat (03-02-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I finally had a drive in an f-type a few days ago, I had it for a half day. It was a bright red 'vert with black wheels etc, 6 cyl, looked magic and a real attention getter. It was the basic pack with only a few options.

My immediate impression was that I didnt like it at all. The ride was very hard on the 19's, I couldnt see out of the rear quarter, the seats werent particularly comfortable (basic setup, not much to adjust), the leather was fairly cheap looking, the digital speedo is in the wrong place (down to the right of the screen and fairly small) and the analogue speedo is hopeless because it jumps from 60kph to 100kph and it is nearly impossible to see whether you are doing 70kph or 80kph which are our general speed limits. Then when I went to reverse to park it, I whacked my elbow into the back of the cabin twisting around. So by the time I had driven 10 minutes I was pretty much over it.

But then I took it out of dynamic mode, and the ride improved a bit - still too hard but probably about the same as the XKR in dynamic. I put the lid down and the vision improved quite a bit though the top of the windscreen seemed a bit low to me. The gearbox is very good, I had my doubts but it is lightning fast and I thought better to use than the XKR's even for a pretty average driver like me. The launch was good, I think as good as the XKR because you dont lose traction in the less powerful car. The engine note that we hear so much about wasnt all that impressive, I have to say. Not a patch on the XKR with the X pipe.

The interior layout is much more modern than the XKR, having gone from a 2012 XF into the XKR it was always stepping backward a little with the dash setup etc, and the f-type general interior layout would be awesome if it was XKR quality - probably it is in the f-type R. I still dont like the black touchscreen which I found to be very fiddly when I had the '12 XF, but it does look modern.

So after driving my wife around (she loved it, but loves the XKR more) and showing off to my daughter (who has pestered me ever since to buy it), and sporting some sunburn and a numb scalp from the wind hitting my hair, the real test was getting back into the XKR - would it feel old and tired? I have to say I was a little concerned it would. Well no, it was actually sublime getting back into the XKR, it was so much more comfortable. It really showed just how good the XKR is. Really what Jag should do is have a "***** option" for the suspension and tune it the same as the XKR - for those of us who want to have it as a daily drive. That'd probably get me into it.

HAHAH!! I love this!!! "***** Option". YEEEHAW!!!

sharx8 (03-01-2015)