XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Failure of touch screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 08:02 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,178 Likes on 822 Posts

just wondering out loud: is it that the module has failed? or needs a reprogramming? Assuming of course, there is not some wiring fault or other component faults. Can you give us any additional history about the systems in this car? mouse bites? water ingress? swapped out components?

Old 06-25-2021, 09:49 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Hello Guy,

To the best of knowledge there is no history of mouse infestation or water ingress - the screen was working for the last owner until early last year when it suddenly went blank (except for four flashes, each lasting for about two seconds when the door is opened OR the battery is disconnected and then re-connected). I did have the system working for a month or so after I managed to reduce the screen brightness to sub 50%, but then last month it went blank again (save for the four flashes, showing the large letter 'R'). I think I may try re-programming the current Info & Ent Module before trying the replacement using SDD. No other components, to the best of my knowledge, have been swapped out. My initial thought was that the light sensor might be faulty. If I shine a bright LED light at the screen I can see the images, although they don't change pages etc when I touch the screen. I would have thought that if the screen itself was kaput I wouldn't get the 'R' flashes when the door is opened ????

Old 06-25-2021, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
My initial thought was that the light sensor might be faulty. If I shine a bright LED light at the screen I can see the images, although they don't change pages etc when I touch the screen. I would have thought that if the screen itself was kaput I wouldn't get the 'R' flashes when the door is opened ????
So when mine goes out, like yours the LCD's still active, just no touch function or back light. The hard buttons DO make the pages on the LCD change as they should. I was able to get the back light working briefly by pressing the power on/off button several times so I quickly moved to the brightness setting and after several attempts of going through this process was finally able to adjust the brightness settings which, to date, has solved this problem. I also noted what appeared to be a relation to the headlamp switch settings. So my conclusion is it is likely a hardware issue related to lighting logic and TSD functionality. It seems other members have had similar experiences which leads me to believe it's a commonly related to the same component failure.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:29 AM

UPDATE TO UPDATE:

SDD connected and all codes cleared (three times). Re-scanned and the only codes I'm getting are HVAC for low AC pressure (correct) and UO155 (Lost Comm with Instrument Pack). Going through the 'Diagnose' page it says that this code is 100% my problem (Does show broken link symbol, which means 'Intermittent'). The Instrument Pack works fine and there are no other obvious problems. I did try to re-programe the existing Information and Entertainment Module but had to abort as SDD needs to be connected to internet (I use a dedicated SDD laptop which I cannot connect to the web) As I had nothing to lose I then decided to connect the used Info Module to see if any changed - it didn't (Oviously I didn't program that one either). Once again, when I shine a bright LED light at the screen I can see the AC/Heater page and I can see the temperature change on the screen when I use the buttons below, also the fan speed bars as well. No other functions operate, however, and I cannot change the pages using the left-hand menu - they're totally unresponsive.
I'm hoping a fellow member with more knowledge of things than me (NOT difficult) can comment on my observations. Do these symptoms point to a screen that is U/S (would that generate a UO155 code ?) or does my problem lie elsewhere ?? I don't want to invest in a new/secondhand screen if that's not cause. Thank you everyone.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Since it appears we’ve a similar issue (active LCD just no backlight or touch functionality) have you tried repeatedly pressing the power on/off (volume knob) to see if that gets the backlight on again? As I said in the post above, I had to do this multiple times and managed to adjust the brightness level which so far has kept it from failing again.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:12 AM

Hi jahummer,

Thank you for the advice. When you say the 'on/off' button are you talking about the radio one below the screen ? I haven't tried doing that - will try later and report back. Cheers

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (06-29-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

UPDATE on my car, if it helps (also a question):
In the week it took for them to take a look at my car after I'd brought it in, the battery died. Good news for me as it confirmed my issue.
They charged and load tested the battery. Apparently it's strong. Also checked the alternator,all good.
They ran some tests (don't know what), but could not identify any source of battery drain.
They reinstalled the battery... and the touchscreen and all its functions was back. Good as new, everything worked.
As for the battery drain, the only thing they could think of was a Service Bulletin from a few years back about something in the infotainment system causing an "intermittent drain" on the electrical system. Said they could run the reflash or software update or something as suggested in the bulletin.
Here's the thing: they could not guarantee that it would work, it's not covered under warranty, and it's $330. But they said honestly it was the only suggestion they had.
Question: has anyone heard of this Service Bulletin? Would you shell out the $330?

Old 07-09-2021, 05:48 PM
Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

PK, this is the only TSB I see that might have some relevance to your situation.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB JTB00149v4.pdf (283.7 KB, 225 views)
pk4144 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JackJohn
PK, this is the only TSB I see that might have some relevance to your situation.
Thanks! I shall ask. I do note that's a 2 1/2 hour download? For what?

Old 07-09-2021, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Thanks! I shall ask. I do note that's a 2 1/2 hour download? For what?
2-1/2 hour download??? It's less than one MB. I downloaded it in less than one second.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

No clue. From the Service Bulletin (dated 2013):
  1. SERVICE INSTRUCTION:

NOTE:
    The Key fob should be placed in vehicle for the full duration of software download.
    1. CAUTION:
      This procedure requires SDD DVD134.01 with Calibration pack File 134 loaded or later.

NOTE:
      SDD download time is approximately 2.5 hours or less.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

key words = or less

Old 07-10-2021, 06:57 AM
guy
Veteran Member

yes, time to upgrade that 512 kb bandwidth at that dealer. And clearly the estimate is based on the their poor internet connectivity and they are charging you for the download time (which should be completed many nights before the service appointment and confirmed as successful). disgraceful.

With this situation of many, disappointed with their dealers, it leaves me wondering; where is the dealer network QA? What are the standards? I’m one of the lucky ones as my “little” dealership goes out of its way to be helpful. I’m saddened and angered by anything different.

Last edited by guy; 07-10-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Ya know, that TSB was written quite awhile ago, and internet speeds have increased quite a bit since then. Of course, I exaggerated a bit anyway.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

The download time they are talking about is the time to update the module.

There is a mini USB port on the touch screen that you can plug a memory stick into to update it more quickly but the driver seems to be hard to source.

Last edited by u102768; 07-11-2021 at 03:38 AM.
bgpenguin21 (06-05-2023)
Old 07-11-2021, 06:10 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Thank you for the information. My apologies, I was not aware. I propose no one needs to be standing beside the car as the update is in progress.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Welp, my touch screen fail may have been a battery issue after all. They did in fact do a module reflash and performed the software update outlined in the TSB (related to battery draw and not the screen), and only time will tell if this problem presents itself again.
Screen seems to be in perfect order.
Interesting: even though the car needed to be jumped at the dealership (after sitting for a few days), no presets or anything of the like were lost. Trip odometer reset to 0, that was all.
Bad news: dealership confirmed that new touchscreens for our cars (if the need had arisen) are pretty much impossible to come by.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
Hi jahummer,

Thank you for the advice. When you say the 'on/off' button are you talking about the radio one below the screen ? I haven't tried doing that - will try later and report back. Cheers
Keith, any update on this?

Old 07-27-2021, 06:30 PM

Hi Sean W,

No, that didn't work for me I'm sorry to say. However, I have resolved the problem by replacing the screen unit with one from an XF Jaguar of the same vintage (I started another thread on the matter 'Replacement Touch Screen'). Despite the part numbers being different I found that the XF screen simply plugged in and played ! (those screens can be bought in the UK on Ebay for well below £100 GBP, whereas XK versions are normally £400 +. The only difference is that the XK version has a couple of metal tags (one each side) to screw the unit to the plastic front surround (not necessary, as the unit is held firmly in position by four machine screws to the substantial subframe assembly). The important thing is to get a unit from the same year car (I believe there were three versions).

Sean W (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Darn it, sorry I read that already - different thread I think - spaced that one.

Quick Reply: Failure of touch screen