XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Falling headliner

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 AM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Falling headliner

It was falling pretty bad so I decided to pull it down. I've never done anything like this before so I was a bit intimidated.

Getting the trim on the sides was a pain. I found it easiest to pop them all out and leave them in place. Then get the middle piece on both sides out. Took off the sun visors and light cluster fairly easy with the right tools.

Cleaned the old felt best as I could. Then I tossed it in the wash on delicate, tap cold, with a teaspoon of soap. The foam board was another story. I scraped that thing as best as I could. The stuff got everywhere, so do it somewhere easy to clean. I found a plastic ruler worked great because it's flexible and long, until I found a car brush. I got the bulk off with the ruler, then the brush got pretty much everything else. I was left with a tacky surface, which is actually ideal.

After letting the newly washed headliner bask in the sun on my patio table for an hour or two it was completely dry. I flipped it a few times. I wanted to lay it flat to avoid potential stretching. I dont' know anything about fabric.

I must have done a dozen test fits before the final. With the tacky surface it's great for testing, you can just press the fabric on and it stays. First I started in the middle and worked my way out. Couldnt' get it centered for the life of me. Then I started from the outside perimiter and worked my way in. What worked very well is from every hole to it's opposing side I worked it in. I was mostly doing it for practice towards the end, I knew I'd have one shot when I put glue down. I ended up using 3M light fabric adhesive in a spray can. I sprayed it in the empty garage and got a good coating, then went inside to the dining room table. Using a 3" paint roller with the fluffiest rolling pad I could find, I attached my perimiter. I did the visor areas by hand and pressed in hte corners as best as I could.

Then I started working my way toward the center. I did about 3" perimiter all the way around, then another 3", then another 3". I went over everything a dozen times with the roller. On stuborn parts I just held it there for 5-10 seconds, and it stayed.

Overall it was a pain, but it's all back in and looks fantastic. I couldn't be happier.

Falling headliner-af3znxmh.jpg

Falling headliner-8hbshlhh.jpg

Falling headliner-amul3sch.jpg

The following 4 users liked this post by nasomi:
guy (09-19-2019), kj07xk (09-19-2019), Sean W (09-19-2019), TexasTraveler (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Nice job!!! I did the same thing a couple months ago... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...urbish-220369/

Old 09-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Did you wash your headliner? I had a massive amount of crud that was on the headliner, all very sticky. I'm amazed that the wash got it out so well. I actually broke one of the plastic pieces on the passenger side that the middle piece slides into. Fortunately once it was back together it was completely hidden and didn't affect it being pinned back up. I may take the pillars off and re-glue them, there are a few places that they're wrinkled, now with the head liner all nice and tight i notice it more.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by nasomi
Did you wash your headliner? I had a massive amount of crud that was on the headliner, all very sticky. I'm amazed that the wash got it out so well. I actually broke one of the plastic pieces on the passenger side that the middle piece slides into. Fortunately once it was back together it was completely hidden and didn't affect it being pinned back up. I may take the pillars off and re-glue them, there are a few places that they're wrinkled, now with the head liner all nice and tight i notice it more.
No I did not wash my headliner fabric, mine came pretty clean by using bristle brush... I know what your talking about with the way the middle section slides into the back section, you really have to remove them simultaneously at that joint...

Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Labor is cheap here in FL. A shop in West Palm Beach, one recommended on this forum, did the whole job and the side trim for $400. New foam using the original Alcantara, which was usable as it had just begun to drop.
Crazy thing was, the other cars they were doing included two Bentley's and a McClaren. First world problems.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Remember that there is a better quality synthetic suede available at under $5.00/running yard X60" width. So, if you don't want to mess with cleaning or washing the Alcantara, I have access to buying it wholesale at about $5.00/yd. In other words for about ten bucks, you can have all new material. I have shipped it to many forum members without a single negative comment.

The following users liked this post:
110reef (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM

My local upholstry shop wanted a small fortune, which is why I gave it a go myself. Thinking back it wasn't terrible, but going into it i had zero confidence. I'm glad I did it myself though, learned a lot.

The following 2 users liked this post by nasomi:
tberg (09-20-2019), TexasTraveler (09-20-2019)