XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Fault codes, should i be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fault codes, should i be worried?

Hi all,
Firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong section, but this is my first post and I am trying to get used to the forum.
I have just bought an XKR 2008 plate and have been presented with a list of fault codes that showed up whilst I was getting the crash sensors looked at and replaced.
A B1100D-87 COLUMN LOCK AUTHORISATION (Missing a Message) There seems to be no problem with the lock, is this just an old message that needs clearing?
B B1B78-84 SYSTEM PRESSURE (Signal Is Below Allowable Range) Have not got a clue what this means. The air con is blowing hot and cold when required.
C B1118-133 AUXILIARY JUNCTION BOX/REAR SMART JUNCTION BOX (Rear left Sidemarker circuit open) Have not got a clue, all lights are working at the rear.
D INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CONTROL MODULE ( Steering wheel module missing a message) Have not got a clue cruise control seems to work ok.
E U0155-00 INTEGRATED CONTROL PANEL (Lost communication with instrument cluster) No sub-type information.

Should I be concerned, there are no warning lights showing on the instrument cluster and no warning sounds. The car has just past its MOT and only failed on a headlamp. Being new to owning a Jaguar I would appreciate some sound advice, are these tasks that I could do myself, or is it best left to a garage?

Kind regards
Kizzi

Old 01-09-2023, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Reset the codes and see if any return. Sometimes codes are set during repair work and are inconsequential.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-11-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:35 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Most modern Jaguars will return a list of codes in a diagnostics session. More often than not these are just caused by out-of-range signals to sensors and can be ignored. Jaguar recommendation is NOT to clear codes unless any are relevant to an illuminated MIL (Check Engine Light).

You should be more concerned about a failed headlamp. If it needs replacement, it's a frightening price.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
guy (01-11-2023), NBCat (01-13-2023), ralphwg (01-11-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Check the battery voltage. It's not uncommon to get a lot of faults due to low voltage. 12.6 volts minimum after sitting for several hours.

guy (01-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 03:30 AM
Default Fault codes, should i be worried

Hi all,
Thank you for your responses. I will check that the battery is ok. The headlamp got replaced by the chap I bought the car from that morning (phew) Can you explain to me the phrase missing a message? What message? or are the messages too numerous/random to mention?
Kizzi

Old 01-10-2023, 05:47 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Kizzi
..... Can you explain to me the phrase missing a message? What message? or are the messages too numerous/random to mention?
Is there a code associated with that line you didn't include in your original post?

..... D INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CONTROL MODULE ( Steering wheel module missing a message) Have not got a clue cruise control seems to work ok. .....

If so, I'll look it up in the Jaguar DTC listing.

Graham

Old 01-10-2023, 04:31 PM

Hi Graham, no all the message says is INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CONTROL MODULE ( Steering wheel module missing a message) I have searched online and cannot find anything.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:54 PM
GGG

The phrase Steering wheel module missing a message does not appear in the Workshop Manual. However, it's function is to transmit signals from the paddle switches.

When the steering wheel paddle switches are operated, a ground for the switch contacts is completed and the ground signal is passed via a hardwired connection to the steering wheel module. The module converts the switch signal into a LIN (Local Interconnect Network) bus message which in turn is passed to the instrument cluster via the steering wheel clockspring. The instrument cluster converts the LIN message into a high speed CAN bus message which is broadcast to the TCM and other system modules.

It is likely a signal from paddle switch to TCM etc has failed. Provided the paddles are operating normally, this is likely to have just been a transient fault.

Graham

Old 01-10-2023, 09:42 PM
Received 598 Likes on 306 Posts

Kizzi, You've been offered good advice. A couple of additional thoughts.

1. It's not unusual to get random odd codes with an XK. You need (as said above) to focus only on the ones that light the SES light. I'm partial to clearing all the old codes I can, so that I only focus on the one (hopefully) that's a repeating SES trigger. Some prefer not to clear minor ones as they may be early warnings.
2. To help mitigate random intermittent codes, your battery should be charged up to at least 90% state of charge. It's best to get an new AGM, particularly if you don't have a history of the old one, and get a maintainer to reach a battery condition of 100% (12.6 on a FLA, 13.0 on an AGM). A stable, fully charged battery makes a big difference on the XK, particularly the 4.2 model. Also, fully charged batteries last longer. If your battery is unable to charge fully it's beginning to wear out. A SoC chart is below for AGM and FLA.
3. With the varied but meaningless codes that the XK can flag, it's in your best interest to get a JLR-compatible diagnostic device. Look around here for ideas. I use an Autel AP200 with the JLR download. About $70. Interfaces to your phone. If things get tough, I use SDD. When my battery is down to the low 12v range, I get more odd codes on my XK. At 12.9 -13v the codes are less and the car clearly runs better.
4. A bit of insight is provided below, in a TSB called "Falsely Flagged Trouble Codes", a few pages of false codes the XK system can provide. I assume, from what I've seen, that there are quite a few more false codes flagged by the system. My guess is that many of them occur as the system powers up or down, or low voltages interfering with signal generation on the buses, or older ground points and connectors developing increased resistance across connectors. I only focus on codes that are referenced in the maintenance manual, or ones that repeat regularly.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006-12 Jaguar XK 150 TSBs.pdf (3.11 MB, 52 views)

Last edited by panthera999; 01-11-2023 at 08:20 AM.
guy (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 09:20 AM

I have indeed been given solid sound advice which I really appreciate. I think what is clouding my judgment, is where to start. Maybe I am being too fussy, but there are more codes that had shown up starting with U. Although there is no warning symbol on the dash, I cannot help but wonder does this have an impact on the overall driving experience. Or is it something that can be done as and when? I will certainly check the battery and see if a new one does indeed clear some faults. I have seen the Autel AP200 advertised, but was unsure about it. But if you use one, then it is good enough for me. I will order one and redo the test see what it throws up and go from there. Thinking back to the battery I am pretty sure a new one was fitted about 2 months ago, again I will check on that and see what make the battery is, as I suspect the make of battery could be crucial.
Once again, a huge thankyou for the advice given. I really do appreciate it.

Kizzi

Old 01-11-2023, 01:28 PM

No problem. Meter the battery, and reference the table for SoC -- should be kept at least 90% consistently on these cars. Doesn't have to be a new one, just should remain (IMHO) above 12.5 if possible. The AGM gets you an additional .4 volts at 100%

Better to monitor the varied codes for consistency; but if it doesn't light a SES light don't worry about it very much.

Last edited by panthera999; 01-11-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:21 AM

Hi panthera999,
Reading through your post, you say you use an Autel AP200 with the JLR download. If I were to buy one do I have to specify what car I would be using it on? Does the Autel come with software or do I have to buy that as well? Or when I plug it into the diagnostic socket does it just recognise the make and model car? Newbie questions I know but sort of out on a wing and a prayer at the moment, as this is all totally new to me. But I have to learn and the only way of doing that is to ask a competent person.
Kind regards
Kizzi

Old 01-12-2023, 09:29 AM

Hi panthera999,
Reading through your post, you say you use an Autel AP200 with the JLR download. If I were to buy one do I have to specify what car I would be using it on? Does the Autel come with software or do I have to buy that as well? Or when I plug it into the diagnostic socket does it just recognise the make and model car? Newbie questions I know but sort of out on a wing and a prayer at the moment, as this is all totally new to me. But I have to learn and the only way of doing that is to ask a competent person.
Kind regards
Kizzi
Kizzi,

1. The first software download is included in the price, and was for me a perpetual license. I downloaded JLR software, since I already have detailed diags for my BMW's. Second and later were annual licenses at whatever price they're charging. You can purchase subsequent packages in the tool. Check to see if there's still a perpetual license on the first download, and make your decision accordingly. The perpetual JLR license was important to my buying decision.

2. Assuming you downloaded JLR, it prompts you to let it detect your VIN and applies the right modules for the VIN number. As far as I could tell, there is only one load for all X150's, so some service tests are specific to the 5.0 (like the cats testing), and some apply to the 4.2 and the 5.0 (like the seat adjustment and the headlight tests.) And of course all JLR code and data reading applies to all X150's. I have no way to test what Autel 200 applies across the other JLR model lines, so can't speak to that. It's reasonable to assume JLR means all JLR, but I'm sure the features vary widely.

3.I believe they support IoS and Droid, but am not sure. I've been very satisfied with my droid version. I particularly like the phone integration, since I can toss the bluetooth OBD interface in the car and forget about it until needed. Don't leave it plugged in when not in use: it's draw is minimal, but I'm not sure if the car will do a normal shutdown when attached. The data graphics section, to track a group of datapoints over time or drive cycles, is almost useless though.

There's plenty of more comprehensive ones out there, but this is a useful mix of good testing suite, low cost and convenient portability. Also, if I ever buy another marque, I can continue to use it.

I hope this helps.

Panthera

Last edited by panthera999; 01-12-2023 at 09:48 AM.
ralphwg (01-15-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by panthera999
Kizzi,
3.I believe they support IoS and Droid, but am not sure. I've been very satisfied with my droid version. I particularly like the phone integration, since I can toss the bluetooth OBD interface in the car and forget about it until needed. Don't leave it plugged in when not in use: it's draw is minimal, but I'm not sure if the car will do a normal shutdown when attached.
I can confirm iOS is supported and the biggest bug I have with the unit is that it doesn't return to a state that allows me to physically disconnect the device from the port. When I do, the car won't start unless I reset the battery. It's been a few months since I've used it and I have SDD but it came in handy running live data when I was testing suspension.

McJag222 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
I can confirm iOS is supported and the biggest bug I have with the unit is that it doesn't return to a state that allows me to physically disconnect the device from the port. When I do, the car won't start unless I reset the battery. It's been a few months since I've used it and I have SDD but it came in handy running live data when I was testing suspension.
Weird. That bug is a dealbreaker in my book. Sorry to hear it. Never had the problem with Droid. I just disconnect the BT dongle whenever. Perhaps fully exiting out of the IoS app before disconnecting the BT interface?

Last edited by panthera999; 01-12-2023 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:55 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I randomly disconnected it once and then my check engine light was on when it was never on before. I reattached the dongle, cleared the code, and now I only disconnect when the car is off.

i use an I phone on mine.

another glitch was when I was programming the seats, it told me to turn off the car. The reprogramming didn’t work. But later I tried again but instead of turning it off, left it in position 2 (on, but not running) and it worked great.

Last edited by 110reef; 01-12-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:21 PM

2022 New Autel MaxiAP AP200 Obd2 Bluetooth Full System Scanner with 25 Service Functions for ios & Android, is this what I should get?

kind regards
Kizzi

Sean W (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

That unit seems to do about the same as the $10 Torque App in conjunction with any $10 Bluetooth scanner on Amazon.
You may get better quality, and assuredly better customer service, should that ever come up.

Old 01-13-2023, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
That unit seems to do about the same as the $10 Torque App in conjunction with any $10 Bluetooth scanner on Amazon.
You may get better quality, and assuredly better customer service, should that ever come up.
Torque is an engine code reader. The Autel reads all jaguar codes including body and chassis, though only to 5 digits. Also allows for some light programming such as setting seats. Definitely will not be getting better service with the Torque app as I suspect Ian Hawkins long retired and is living somewhere in the Fiji Islands:-)

Cee Jay (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

2022 New Autel MaxiAP AP200 Obd2 Bluetooth Full System Scanner with 25 Service Functions for ios & Android, is this what I should get?

kind regards
Kizzi
That's the one Panthera999 is referencing and once you get it, you will download the app from Playstore or Apple, then download the Jaguar Software from the manufacturer. This will allow you to clear the codes you have stored.

Quick Reply: Fault codes, should i be worried?