XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Fiasco continues:::Could really use your advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I would do that, but I'm in AZ and they're in CA. So its about a 700 mile trip.
Where in CA? I ask because my SoCal dealer is fantastic, and I would recommend using them if you don't get any traction with the current one.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Also doing all this work in the car is 20+hours per head. I dropped the engine out the bottom. Good luck. Maybe you can get a loaner for your trip instead of your stype
I know Porsche would not let the dealer do that kind of work and would just replace the engine. It's cheaper for Porsche to put in a new engine than paying the dealer so much money and then risk future issues due to the rebuilt...

bklynchris (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Where in CA? I ask because my SoCal dealer is fantastic, and I would recommend using them if you don't get any traction with the current one.
Bakersfield, CA. What dealer do you use in SoCal? Depending on what I hear on Thursday, I'm going to have my car moved to a new dealer on Friday. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I know Porsche would not let the dealer do that kind of work and would just replace the engine. It's cheaper for Porsche to put in a new engine than paying the dealer so much money and then risk future issues due to the rebuilt...
I definitely would not argue with a new engine.

The following 2 users liked this post by bklynchris:
Lothar52 (06-23-2014), Stuart S (06-23-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

I definitely would not argue with a new engine.
I'd push the regional manager for a new engine only. If you fall a little short, it'll still be above where you are.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
bklynchris (06-19-2014), Brutal (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Bakersfield, CA. What dealer do you use in SoCal? Depending on what I hear on Thursday, I'm going to have my car moved to a new dealer on Friday. Thanks.
I think that could potentially be a really bad idea. I know you are frustrated by the lack of communication, but consider these points.

The Select Edition warranty process has already been started with this dealership, if Select Edition would even allow the warranty process to be restarted at another dealership, this could potentially add maybe even another month or more to your ordeal.

It is not necessarily the dealership's fault as Brutal pointed out and as I have personally experienced, Select Edition often makes the service department jump through many hoops. Not too long ago it took me over a week to get a steering wheel and front and rear suspension arms replaced on my XKR, without an inspector due to Select Edition's process.

How big or small is this dealership? If they are very small they may share their service department with another brand or brands. According to their website they closed their Jaguar dealership in February of this year. As an example, a certain dealership I know in Ohio has only one Jaguar trained tech but he only works there once per week, splitting his time with their other brands' service departments.

If you decide to move your car, do not do it without approval from Select Edition or you could face severe complications with restarting the warranty claims process elsewhere.

I would pursue contacting upper level management at the dealership or going directly to the owner, his name and phone number are on their website, and express your concern their with lack of communication.

Good luck!

bklynchris (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I think that could potentially be a really bad idea. I know you are frustrated by the lack of communication, but consider these points.

The Select Edition warranty process has already been started with this dealership, if Select Edition would even allow the warranty process to be restarted at another dealership, this could potentially add maybe even another month or more to your ordeal.

It is not necessarily the dealership's fault as Brutal pointed out and as I have personally experienced, Select Edition often makes the service department jump through many hoops. Not too long ago it took me over a week to get a steering wheel and front and rear suspension arms replaced on my XKR, without an inspector due to Select Edition's process.

How big or small is this dealership? If they are very small they may share their service department with another brand or brands. According to their website they closed their Jaguar dealership in February of this year. As an example, a certain dealership I know in Ohio has only one Jaguar trained tech but he only works there once per week, splitting his time with their other brands' service departments.

If you decide to move your car, do not do it without approval from Select Edition or you could face severe complications with restarting the warranty claims process elsewhere.

I would pursue contacting upper level management at the dealership or going directly to the owner, his name and phone number are on their website, and express your concern their with lack of communication.

Good luck!
I think you are right on. Jim Burke Ford Lincoln is a multiline dealership. Their dealership in Bakersfield discontinued the Jaguar lineup back in February so most likely there will be delays in the servicing as I am sure they concentrate on the Ford / Lincoln brands.

I would take the advice of JAHUMMER and follow up with the owner to get an explanation of how many certified Jag mechanics they actually employee.

Good post Jahummer....Perhaps Chris just didn't get lucky in having his XKR towed to the wrong Jag dealership. But then again how would he have known.

bklynchris (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Jahummer is right on track. Small multi vehicle dealerships,usally Ford/Linc/Jag were put together because of the Ford/Jag relationship. Their service depts are not well equipt or have the best techs to do Jag work. I have been that route here in Melbourne Beach,Fl, When your local Jag dealer calls and says do not bring your vehicle in for service because we lost our Jag tech it changes your opinion of them. Now instead of going 30 miles north, I drive 150 south. But I feel much better and secure. Good luck and don't let the *******s get you down!

bklynchris (06-19-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Did you have to have the Jag towed to the other dealership?

bklynchris (06-24-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi, Chris. Is your car at the North Scottsdale dealer? I have friends and acquaintances there that I can try to squeeze for a favor if that will help. No guarantees, but worth a shot. My shop has a good working relationship with their shop. Or, is the car out of state? I wasnt certain as I was reading your story.

Last edited by chopr; 06-23-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: addl info
bklynchris (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Did you have to have the Jag towed to the other dealership?

Nope, not yet. After my call with the GM, I've been approved by Jaguar for a new engine that's already been ordered. I'll have an ETA tomorrow for when they expect to receive it. So, according to the dealership which now updates me everyday, I should have my car back soon....depending on how long it takes for the engine to get there.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chopr
Hi, Chris. Is your car at the North Scottsdale dealer? I have friends and acquaintances there that I can try to squeeze for a favor if that will help. No guarantees, but worth a shot. My shop has a good working relationship with their shop. Or, is the car out of state? I wasnt certain as I was reading your story.

Hi Chopr,
It's out of state...... In CA. Thanks for the offer though.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Guys, Great news!!

After a fairly quick conference call with the VP and GM of the dealership, in which the service adviser and the service manager was on as well, they have gotten approval from Jaguar for a new engine in which they have already ordered. I now get daily updates....why couldn't they just do that in the first place?? I would have been fine with an update every 2 to 3 days as long as there was progress. So the latest is the new engine and a promise of an ETA tomorrow for when they expect to have the engine in the shop. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the support....as always, you guys are incredible!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by bklynchris:
jleuz1 (06-25-2014), Lothar52 (06-24-2014), ralphwg (06-26-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Guys, Great news!!

After a fairly quick conference call with the VP and GM of the dealership, in which the service adviser and the service manager was on as well, they have gotten approval from Jaguar for a new engine in which they have already ordered. I now get daily updates....why couldn't they just do that in the first place?? I would have been fine with an update every 2 to 3 days as long as there was progress. So the latest is the new engine and a promise of an ETA tomorrow for when they expect to have the engine in the shop. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the support....as always, you guys are incredible!!!
Great news Chris....so happy for you. You have made great progress.

bklynchris (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Great news Chris....so happy for you. You have made great progress.

Thanks Buddy!

Old 06-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

All ends well then, make sure you bed the new engine in properly.

bklynchris (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts
bklynchris (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Great News!

bklynchris (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Guys, Great news!!

After a fairly quick conference call with the VP and GM of the dealership, in which the service adviser and the service manager was on as well, they have gotten approval from Jaguar for a new engine in which they have already ordered.

Thanks for all the support....as always, you guys are incredible!!!
See told you... New engine is easier for them and better for you...

bklynchris (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ian D
All ends well then, make sure you bed the new engine in properly.
Hi Ian,

What should I do to "bed the engine in properly?" Not trying to be sarcastic, I just want to make sure I don't do something that will hurt the car. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Fiasco continues:::Could really use your advice!