XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is This Fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 01:10 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

If I ever get a crack, I'll get it welded!:-)

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (05-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

PK, you asked, I knew when I first saw this post you would get a lot of gloom and doom. I would also have it welded and not have a thought about it, that was a minor crack. It is a big chunk of metal, it isn't going to disintegrate if you hit a bump.

The following 3 users liked this post by tampamark:
Cee Jay (05-01-2021), peterv8 (05-02-2021), pk4144 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Car manufacturers advise against welding to repair wheels because it's unsafe.
https://crashrepairinfo.com/recondit...ety-rides-them

You should know that if your car is involved in an accident because your welded rim failed, you may be personally liable for damages for personal injury or property damage unless your insurance company previously authorized that welded rim repair.

Is a welded rim repair worth the risk? Not for me, but it's your car, your money, and your choice. Just don't say that you weren't warned.

At this point, we're . Bottom line: You can lead a dead horse to water, but why? He's still dead!

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-01-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Car manufacturers advise against welding to repair wheels because it's unsafe.
https://crashrepairinfo.com/recondit...ety-rides-them

You should know that if your car is involved in an accident because your welded rim failed, you may be personally liable for damages for personal injury or property damage unless your insurance company previously authorized that welded rim repair.
Same thing if you do your own brakes... if you aren't personally bonded and insured and it's proven your brake job/parts are/were inferior, then you are also liable. Can't sue the manufacturer because they would say You Should Have Notices The Problem if you were professional enough to attempt it yourself.
The whole world is Liability Protection. Everywhere. Doesn't matter if something is good or bad, it's all about Who Is Liable.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
JagRag (05-01-2021), jahummer (05-03-2021), jons (05-04-2021), kj07xk (05-01-2021), ralphwg (05-02-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually, if properly welded and most likely is, the repair is stronger than the original base material. The bigger question is do you naysayers feel more comfortable on a wheel with known defects?

Old 05-03-2021, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
PK, you asked, I knew when I first saw this post you would get a lot of gloom and doom. I would also have it welded and not have a thought about it, that was a minor crack. It is a big chunk of metal, it isn't going to disintegrate if you hit a bump.
Ha! Very good observation about the forum. Point taken. I forget sometimes.

Happy to report all still feels fine. Also, I did read an article linked by one of the gloom-and-doomers in this thread-- and even in that article there was this:

"In our shop we have overseen the welding of literally hundreds of rims . The vast majority of those wheels held up just fine, but there were always a few that took a good hit in the same place and popped the weld. Usually we were able to simply reweld these wheels." So I'm feelin pretty good.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Happy to report all still feels fine. Also, I did read an article linked by one of the gloom-and-doomers in this thread-- and even in that article there was this:

"In our shop we have overseen the welding of literally hundreds of rims . The vast majority of those wheels held up just fine, but there were always a few that took a good hit in the same place and popped the weld. Usually we were able to simply reweld these wheels." So I'm feelin pretty good.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144

If you weld a really heavily broken rim I would say that is a bad idea, no humpty dumpty repair is advisable. But a tiny little crack, well that is different story. I don't discount what is brought up in this thread, everyone has their opinion and is confident in their advice. It is all good. Glad your trip was a good one.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

If you weld a really heavily broken rim I would say that is a bad idea, no humpty dumpty repair is advisable. But a tiny little crack, well that is different story. I don't discount what is brought up in this thread, everyone has their opinion and is confident in their advice. It is all good. Glad your trip was a good one.
Tampa, I see where you're coming from, to a point. I also know that you will only use Genuine Jaguar Parts on everything, including washer fluid. A non-OEM weld would certainly be verboten, even though wheels are welded from factories everywhere. I'm not condemning that at all, but maybe your particular point of view is a little more OCD than the normal?
You're all good with me, just an observation.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

For me, a welded rim simply isn't worth the risk.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
pic
pic
pic
pic

For me, a welded rim simply isn't worth the risk.
As I said, it's all about the liability. Say "no" to everything and you can't get bit, legally speaking.
"Don't stick your head inside this wood chipper".... if you don't put that warning on your wood chipper, you'll certainly be sued by the survivors of the guy that did it.
How are some wheels manufactured? Welding!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
pk4144 (05-05-2021), tampamark (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Tampa, I see where you're coming from, to a point. I also know that you will only use Genuine Jaguar Parts on everything, including washer fluid. A non-OEM weld would certainly be verboten, even though wheels are welded from factories everywhere. I'm not condemning that at all, but maybe your particular point of view is a little more OCD than the normal?
You're all good with me, just an observation.
I hear you, funny that you would say that I am OCD, I am just about the exact opposite. If you count up the number of non-repeat responses on this thread it is 8 yes to repair and 4 for no. Believe it or not I am not fighting against the common answer, it is just the naysayers are much more vocal. Just having a conversation with PK, certainly not trying to convince anyone that I am right, just saying what I would do in his situation and why I am comfortable with the answer.

It is all good, not sure where I gave the impression I am OEM only guy? Looking back in my mind I can't think of a time I have bought a fluid for this car, one of the advantages of getting it dealer serviced over the years they top everything off. With the exception of when my lower coolant hose failed, I just added distilled water to the system. Didn't even ask if it was OK, just did it. If I found myself in the middle of nowhere needing oil top off I would pour whatever was available into that hole, which is pure sacrilege to some. Same with any other fluid.

In college when finances were tight I bought used tires, I drove my Toyota Celica like a bat out of hell with 4 different tires and 4 different tread patterns and depth. I have seen many posts where folks are saying mismatched treads will cause accidents, all kinda silly in my opinion. But I respect folks opinions and don't argue opposite despite my own life experiences, everyone can take their path how they will, doesn't affect me.

The following 4 users liked this post by tampamark:
Cee Jay (05-04-2021), kj07xk (05-04-2021), pk4144 (05-05-2021), ralphwg (05-08-2021)