XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

FK 2011 - Center console screen shutdown (system crash?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:33 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default XK 2011 - Center console screen shutdown (system crash?)

Hi all!

yesterday after 1 hour high way driving with AC on and OBD dongle plugged in (to monitor coolant temp) suddenly my center console screen went dark with a short crackling noise over loudspeakers. I was listening to a podcast from my iPhone connected via Bluetooth and Bluetooth-receiver (“Boovee” or whatever the name is, connected to iphone cable in cubby box). Phone also connected to Jag Bluetooth for calls. iPhone charging via cable and charger in cigarette lighter socket in front of gear selector.

1 second after the system crash the system was back and Bluetooth audio resumed playing podcast but Jag Bluetooth for phone calls refused to reconnect: cannot find phone. After ignition off/on still no connection to Jag Bluetooth phone.

then locked car and away for 3 hours. After that started car and everything back to normal, Jag Bluetooth phone connected again automatically as before.

Are such systems crashes of the center console sometimes usual? First time it happened to me...

br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 08-07-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:49 AM
Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine did the same a few times... but only when I had a cheap USB stick connected in the centre console. I have a decent USB stick in most of the time but copied it to another stick for use in my other car. I put the new USB stick back into the Jag and it started 're-booting' the head unit randomly.

Swapped USB sticks back to put the original in the Jag and it's not done it since. So there is something the head unit didn't like about that USB, but who knows what. [shrugs]

Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that the head unit can handle only so much when something like ipod/usb is playing at the same time. When I use my iPod connection and had my phone connected via Bluetooth and use the car navigation
at the same time if i received a text msg on my phone a few mins later screen would go dark. Restart the car and everything would be back to normal. There is probably a way to reset these things like aftermarket head units
will have some kinda of hidden reset button. Now I just use my iPhone for navigation and music. I haven't had a screen blackout since. kinda of sucks because I would like to use all the features that come with the car.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I attributed screen blackout to low voltage.
A half hour into a multi hour slow traffic crawl on a hot day with the AC on, I plugged a cheap voltage converter into the cigarette lighter to charge my wife’s phone. A few minutes later the screen blacked out.
Unplugged the converter, and about 30 seconds later the screen came back, after looking like a reboot. Even with the converter out, the screen continued to black out and reboot every 5-6 minutes.
Pulled off at an exit about a half hour later for a rest stop, checked the voltage and it was 11 something. Shut the car off, and hoped it would restart after our break, which it did, and the screen blackouts/reboots continued for another couple hours until we got out of the crawling traffic and hit the open road.
Once we could travel above about 50 mph, the blackouts stopped.
After getting home I read all the threads on batteries, and got a Bosch AGM a couple months later (the replaced battery probably had a few months left on its warranty, but I wanted to try the AGM route).

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

^^^^^what he said. The touchscreen is a common failure point when the battery gets weak.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

I had this happen once on my 2010, then another event with a check engine light. Both problems cleared once I remembered I had left one of those cheap Bluetooth Dongles in the OBD port and removed it.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 08-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

In my case the continued use of the Bluetooth dongle in the OBD socket could be a culprit. However my battery is brand new (standard flooded type).

Thanks for the feedback!!
best
ter

Old 08-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine did that both times I tried pairing my iphone ( 6s ) to the car. It would almost finish the pairing process and then fail, however later in the day when driving the screen would start acting up. The phone would list the bluetooth module as a paired device nonetheless... . I ended up removing it from the 'paired' devices on my iphone and both times it stopped the screen reboots from happening. haven't tried it since... I just use the Blutooth adapter in the cig lighter inside the glove compartment and don't think twice about it pairing the phone anymore to the module.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
In my case the continued use of the Bluetooth dongle in the OBD socket could be a culprit. However my battery is brand new (standard flooded type).

Thanks for the feedback!!
best
ter
Interesting as last year I was using one of those ELM327 dongle's to use with the Torque Pro app. for water temp and battery voltage. The ELM I bought had an on/of switch built in so I would shut it off after every drive. After a short time of use I had an MIL trigger and I pulled the ELM and checked the code . I don't recall what is was but I just erased it and stopped using the ELM. I then bought a Scan Gauge that uses a hard wire plug into the OBDII port. Since then I've had no issues and I have a 4 year old OEM flood battery and it is on a Ctek after every drive. Interesting other observation was on my 2016 Chevy truck. I have 9K miles on it and so far the infotainment screen has blacked out twice. Once on start up and another while just driving down the road.