XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Fluid Leaking Jag XK 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022 | 11:11 PM
|
Exclamation Fluid Leaking Jag XK 5.0

This is my first post outside of an intro. A little history first on my jag. I have a Jaguar XK 2011 5.0 and bought it a couple years ago. It had 54k miles on it and about 8 months and after 10k miles driving it the engine went out. Found somewhere that fount and installed another engine that had 10k miles less on it. They gave me a lifetime warrenty on the motor and if it went out they would get another motor but but charge labor.

last week I was driving in "S" mode and accelerated to pass someone and I started smelling antifreeze. I got home and saw antifreeze had leaked out. I heard screaching on the belt probably from it leaking on the belt I guess. (Have already replaced the radiator and water pump). I left it in the garage and came back to it a couple days later and put more antifreeze in it, but this time it wasn't leaking under the car. I drove it to get some fuel in it and back home and started to smell a burning smell. Parked it back up again. Took jag cover off of the engine and looked down inside the motor to see if I could see anything and the photos and video is what I saw. I have done a diagnostic on the car OBDII and nothing came up unusual. I'm going to take it into the shop but would like an idea what I might be getting into. I see fluid leaks around the hose. Every time I take it in seems to cost me thousands... My hope is that it is just a bad line or hose. Any thoughts or help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This is right behind the radiator.

Another photo, fluid splattered places

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0397_480.mov (18.61 MB, 12 views)
Old 12-02-2022 | 03:01 AM

There are many places which can leak coolant although it is unlikely to be the water pump or radiator if they have been replaced recently although they can't be automatically ruled out. However, the amount of splatter suggests that it is not the water pump but the only way to be sure is to carefully look around the engine bay whilst the engine is running using a mirror if necessary to access difficult spots. Sometimes the area on the ground where the coolant drops down also gives an indication of which area to focus your attention.
I suspect that it is a leaking hose and might even be one that was not fitted correctly when the pump and rad were changed.
Richard

Old 12-02-2022 | 03:58 AM
GGG

+1

There's plenty of possible candidates as the source of the leak in hoses and clamps before assuming major component failure:

This diagram from JEPC is the clearest but greater detail is shown in the Workshop Manual available for download in the 'stickies' at the top of the threads:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...guides-215509/

Graham

Old 12-02-2022 | 10:17 AM

I have the same problem in our 2007 XK. Small pools of antifreeze on the driveway from one day to the next and some days not. Took it to my local indy shop yesterday and turns out there is a leak in the small hose running off of the coolant pipe.Here's the rub -- I'm not able to find a used assembly anywhere and the only new one in the country is at Jag of Santa Monica. It'll be about $500 shipped

The guys at my shop say they can rig up some heater hose with a loop in it and adapters for the two different size connectors.

If anyone knows where I can get this 6" hose or a used assembly please let me know.

Old 12-02-2022 | 10:17 AM
|

Originally Posted by RichardS
There are many places which can leak coolant although it is unlikely to be the water pump or radiator if they have been replaced recently although they can't be automatically ruled out. However, the amount of splatter suggests that it is not the water pump but the only way to be sure is to carefully look around the engine bay whilst the engine is running using a mirror if necessary to access difficult spots. Sometimes the area on the ground where the coolant drops down also gives an indication of which area to focus your attention.
I suspect that it is a leaking hose and might even be one that was not fitted correctly when the pump and rad were changed.
Richard
Ok. Yeah the water pump was replaced when I purchased the car so it is about 2 years old. The radiator was replaced about 8 months ago. Thanks for your response and I will get a mirror and see if I can see anything else.

Old 12-02-2022 | 11:53 AM

what about pressure testing? wouldn't that be the best advice to see/hear exactly where its coming from

Old 12-02-2022 | 12:02 PM
|

Originally Posted by karamayoko
what about pressure testing? wouldn't that be the best advice to see/hear exactly where its coming from
This sounds like a good idea, I am just such a newby on mechanics I wouldn't know where to start. I think I will take it to someone who knows about that unless you know of a way I can do that without much trouble?

Old 12-02-2022 | 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxkguy
This sounds like a good idea, I am just such a newby on mechanics I wouldn't know where to start. I think I will take it to someone who knows about that unless you know of a way I can do that without much trouble?
there are a ton of videos on youtube on how to pressure test. use Google and Youtube to learn.

also to start, you can search this forum. Here's a thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1/#post2091174

Old 12-02-2022 | 12:51 PM
|

Originally Posted by shemp
there are a ton of videos on youtube on how to pressure test. use Google and Youtube to learn.

also to start, you can search this forum. Here's a thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1/#post2091174
Thank you. I learn all the time, which was the main reason I posted this.

The following users liked this post:
shemp (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022 | 02:10 PM

Honestly I'm a newbie myself so I'm unaware I'm more just a guy who knows these things but don't perform them. Very odd of me but I just know if I even performed it what would I do with the results? same thing as you just take it to the dealer although I do understand some mechanics can be "sketchy" and try to blame other things for being the fault and throw at your face prices.

Old 12-02-2022 | 06:02 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Honestly, I would never source a used hose, belt, … its a long list.

Old 12-02-2022 | 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hockey_Steve
I have the same problem in our 2007 XK. Small pools of antifreeze on the driveway from one day to the next and some days not. Took it to my local indy shop yesterday and turns out there is a leak in the small hose running off of the coolant pipe.Here's the rub -- I'm not able to find a used assembly anywhere and the only new one in the country is at Jag of Santa Monica. It'll be about $500 shipped

The guys at my shop say they can rig up some heater hose with a loop in it and adapters for the two different size connectors.

If anyone knows where I can get this 6" hose or a used assembly please let me know.

Yep. You can't buy just the little hose - you have to buy the entire tubing system. But don't. My leak was caused by a small crack on the tank where this little hose connects. I got a new tank (Ford marked...) for $120-or-so. Easy replacement, but getting past that tubular cross-member takes some finnessing. Careful with that little hose; it's an oddball that's smaller on one end than the other.
I got around this problem by using an old hot-rodder trick: find a smaller diameter hose that'll fit inside the larger diameter hose. It's a tight fit, and the clamp will further hold everything in place. I bought a hose at local parts store that had an assortment of various preformed bends (Dayco(?) / Davco(?) part number 8783(7) and cut out the suitable bend section that I needed.

Last edited by Tracee; 12-02-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2022 | 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by jagxkguy
This is my first post outside of an intro. A little history first on my jag. I have a Jaguar XK 2011 5.0 and bought it a couple years ago. It had 54k miles on it and about 8 months and after 10k miles driving it the engine went out. Found somewhere that fount and installed another engine that had 10k miles less on it. They gave me a lifetime warrenty on the motor and if it went out they would get another motor but but charge labor.

last week I was driving in "S" mode and accelerated to pass someone and I started smelling antifreeze. I got home and saw antifreeze had leaked out. I heard screaching on the belt probably from it leaking on the belt I guess. (Have already replaced the radiator and water pump). I left it in the garage and came back to it a couple days later and put more antifreeze in it, but this time it wasn't leaking under the car. I drove it to get some fuel in it and back home and started to smell a burning smell. Parked it back up again. Took jag cover off of the engine and looked down inside the motor to see if I could see anything and the photos and video is what I saw. I have done a diagnostic on the car OBDII and nothing came up unusual. I'm going to take it into the shop but would like an idea what I might be getting into. I see fluid leaks around the hose. Every time I take it in seems to cost me thousands... My hope is that it is just a bad line or hose. Any thoughts or help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This is right behind the radiator.

Another photo, fluid splattered places
A hose gone bad,they going to want to replace all hoses at the dealership.That will cost you a little under $1000 or exactly around $1000 at best.If you don't know where it's coming from,that might be your best option

Old 12-03-2022 | 12:33 PM

let the engine come up to temp, maybe rev it a bit, and you'll likely see a jet of water or steam somewhere near there.

Old 12-03-2022 | 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

The 5 litre cars have a number of plastic connectors on the hoses that become brittle and crack. On my '10 XKR, a connector on the one coming from the water overflow bottle to the front of the engine above the water pump cracked (C2P13304) and I have seen a few other owners of 5 litre cars have the same issue.

Old 12-04-2022 | 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

I had an overflow hose replaced years back for springing significant leak, C2P12405. Best thing is to have it diagnosed.

Last edited by tampamark; 12-04-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2022 | 07:13 PM

Water pump failure is very likely on any 5.0...Jaguar has been having trouble with them for years... I think there on the 3rd redesign on them and they still suck... Ask me How I know!

Old 12-06-2022 | 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

A bit more than three!