XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Fog Lights

Hi folks, this is really two questions, somewhat connected.
1. I have looked in the manual and searched here, but can find nothing about replacing the front fog light bulbs in my '07 XK. Are they a sealed unit that must be replaced if they go bad?

2. I purchased an LED DRL kit from Hella, but not sure I am going to be able to fit the lights in my grill, so thought that if that fails I could use the wiring and relay to wire the fog lights to run as DRLs. Anyone see any problems?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2014, 06:39 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't see any problem with re-purposing the pigtail for your fog lights to power something else, especially led.

They don't take much power to operate.

It seems weird that you can not change the fog light bulb.

I'm sure someone will chime in on how to replace the bulbs.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Correction:
Not re-purposing pigtail. I actually might want to turn the existing fog lights into DRLs, but bringing power to the lights from a different source so they run with engine on but not with headlights which would still allow them to work as fog lights if needed.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Old Dawg:

Contact Forum member sherbercars (Bernie) who recently made a major mod to his fog lights to LEDs. He will probably know more than anyone, how the wiring and system works. He owns a 2008 Jag XKR. He can be found in the list of members (Community). He is a very nice member and willing to help others. He will know.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I can't wait until I get my hands on a new body style xkr coupe.

Keep us posted with how your modification goes.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

Hi old_dawg, i have a 07 model too and want to change to led, current fogs when on are a bit dull in color, any pics on what yur trying to get

Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

just looking and see adamesh do X150 led fog lights, 2 types one just led, the other led day time running/fog lights, they say will not fit xkr, maybe they would fit models with the fog light grill bezels as i have, will find out monday

Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Yeah, that was the reason I was asking about the ability to replace the fog light bulbs.

What I purchased is the Hella 15 degree LED DRLs, but now that I actually have them in hand, I am not sure they will fit where I want them in my lower grill (original), thus the backup plan to use the Fogs.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

i often do an inpulse buy, see somthing and buy it and when i have it, i don't think it wright or to much bother to fit, will find out more about the adamesh type seems to be a straight replacment

Old 06-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Have been out playing with it this morning (they are really fun to get to)and am liking the Adamesh LED lights but need to see if someone in the US sells them. The price looks good, but 42USD for delivery gets the total a little high.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by old_dawg
Hi folks, this is really two questions, somewhat connected.
1. I have looked in the manual and searched here, but can find nothing about replacing the front fog light bulbs in my '07 XK. Are they a sealed unit that must be replaced if they go bad?

2. I purchased an LED DRL kit from Hella, but not sure I am going to be able to fit the lights in my grill, so thought that if that fails I could use the wiring and relay to wire the fog lights to run as DRLs. Anyone see any problems?

Thanks
I dont think the XK has the fog light covers same as the XKR ?. see Pics.

If not you could use your fog lights as you suggested as DRLs By having the Fog lights tuned on all the time as they only work with the ignition on . And if you connect a relay to the power at the fog light itself and connect the wire from the relay to the park light , then when you turn on the headlights it will turn off the fog DRLs . I would get hold of Steave at jag wrangler, he will be able to explain it better than I. Bernie

Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights-dsc03453.jpg   Fog Lights-dsc03452.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
old_dawg (06-07-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 AM

I'm back
Really need some help here.
I have been back and forth with "sherbercars" and apparently his '08 XKR lights are wired differently than my '07 XK. It seems that my entire front light assembly is connected with one single wiring connector where he has separate wires for the front park light.

I have tested every wire in the connector and they either have voltage or not, but I get no difference on any wire with the engine running and headlights turned on or off. Is it possible that the wonderful folks at Jaguar included the relays in the light assembly?

I am trying to find a wire that is hot when headlights are on and otherwise dead, so my DRLs will turn off when the headlights are on.

Any suggestions other than going to the back of the car a using the taillights?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm back
Really need some help here.
I have been back and forth with "sherbercars" and apparently his '08 XKR lights are wired differently than my '07 XK. It seems that my entire front light assembly is connected with one single wiring connector where he has separate wires for the front park light.

I have tested every wire in the connector and they either have voltage or not, but I get no difference on any wire with the engine running and headlights turned on or off. Is it possible that the wonderful folks at Jaguar included the relays in the light assembly?

I am trying to find a wire that is hot when headlights are on and otherwise dead, so my DRLs will turn off when the headlights are on.

Any suggestions other than going to the back of the car a using the taillights?
Hi again. Im surprised they are not the same, I would P/M Steave at Jagrangler Im sure he will have the answer. Bernie .

Old 06-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Default Finished

With thanks to "sherbercars" and "WhiteXKR" for their advice, I now have working LED DRLs on my '07 XK. They also still work as Fog Lights, should I ever need them.

Pictures attached, of my Jag and the second with her new eyes and her big sister.

And yes, "powerhouse" these are the lights from Adamesh

Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights-imag1328.jpg   Fog Lights-imag1332.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by old_dawg:
kj07xk (10-09-2015), mosesbotbol (10-09-2015), sherbercars (06-17-2014)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,344 Posts

That looks great.
Any wiring details you can share, as to how you got it working?

Old 10-10-2015, 05:52 AM

Been a long time, but a lot of the details were in PMs with "Sherbercars" and "Whitexkr" but on their recommendation I used add-a-fuse at #28 then tapped into one of the wires inside the light assembly. I don't remember which one and can't find my notes. Maybe Sherbercars can help. Or you can PM me with specific questions.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Been a long time, but a lot of the details were in PMs with "Sherbercars" and "Whitexkr" but on their recommendation I used add-a-fuse at #28 then tapped into one of the wires inside the light assembly. I don't remember which one and can't find my notes. Maybe Sherbercars can help. Or you can PM me with specific questions.
A link from another thread got me here, so sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but your pics of your 07 XK look great, and thought it looked like a project to add to the list for my 07 XK (already lengthy, but I'll finally get to start on it in 2 weeks!).
If/when I tackle this, I'll be sure to PM you if I get stuck, thanks.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

I thought Canadian Spec XK's have DRL's?
Is this true Gregory? if so,which light do they use?

Me, I just turn on my parking lights; too simple?

Cheers, Adrian

Old 10-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
A link from another thread got me here, so sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but your pics of your 07 XK look great, and thought it looked like a project to add to the list for my 07 XK (already lengthy, but I'll finally get to start on it in 2 weeks!).
If/when I tackle this, I'll be sure to PM you if I get stuck, thanks.
Yeah, I love the look that Old_Dawg got out of his conversion of the foglights to DLR's. I'd love to do the same exact thing for my '08 XK, but without the detailed notes that usually accompany the mod's on this forum, I'm reluctant to try it. For starters, where did Old_Dawg purchase the DLR's (manufacturer / model # is useful). I can figure out how to take the old ones out and replace with these, but would definitely need help with the wiring. Steve?

Old 10-16-2015, 06:00 AM

LoudHogRider.
As explained in the thread, I used LED fog lights from Adamesh. They are exact fit replacements but I was never able to find anything like them in the US. So, the price plus shipping is on the high side.
Jaguar XK LED Fog Lamps

Beyond that, the wiring sort of depends on how you want to use them. If all you want is lights that come on with the ignition, it's pretty straight forward. But, as I explained when I started, I wanted the DRLs to come on with ignition, but go off when headlights come on, plus I still want to be able to use them as fog lights. That requires a relay plus trigger. Which is why I suggested to kj07xk that he PM me. That is how I got the most help from "sherbercars" and "WhiteXKR"

The following 2 users liked this post by old_dawg:
kj07xk (10-16-2015), LoudHogRider (10-16-2015)

Quick Reply: Fog Lights