XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Fog Lights as daytime driving lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 12:21 PM
Received 598 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Fog Lights as daytime driving lights (DRL)

'07 XK 42. NA engine.
So, I upgraded the corner markers to W5W LED's. Didn't work: too dim to be used as practical DRL's.

Then, I upgraded the foglights to H11 LED's, and manually turn them on. The fogs make good DRL's for daytime use. Never use them at night, so not concerned about brightness.

My question is on SDD. I can reprogram for DRL usage, but want to use only the foglights as DRL. Activated DRL's on SDD, but only came up with the headlight lowbeams. Anyone know of a SDD setting that'll automtically use the fogs as DRL's?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2021, 05:47 PM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by panthera999
'07 XK 42. NA engine.
So, I upgraded the corner markers to W5W LED's. Didn't work: too dim to be used as practical DRL's.

Then, I upgraded the foglights to H11 LED's, and manually turn them on. The fogs make good DRL's for daytime use. Never use them at night, so not concerned about brightness.

My question is on SDD. I can reprogram for DRL usage, but want to use only the foglights as DRL. Activated DRL's on SDD, but only came up with the headlight lowbeams. Anyone know of a SDD setting that'll automtically use the fogs as DRL's?

Thanks!
I cannot answer your specific question on SDD configuration, but there are several threads on this topic over the years that address it. IIRC, it's available in Canada but not the USofA.

I purchased a set of the combo DLR's & fog lights from Adamesh several years ago. Installation was "medium" as I had to remove the tires, fender wheel well covers, and get underneath the front skid plate for mounting, wire runs, etc. IIRC, it only took a couple of hours to do and they've performed flawlessly since.

https://www.adamesh.co.uk/jaguar-xk-...e-1-4852-p.asp
or
https://www.adamesh.co.uk/jaguar-xk-...e-2-3402-p.asp

The following users liked this post:
panthera999 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

SDD does provide for DLR when you toggle the option, but not on the fogs. You could do some rewiring and achieve this without much ado.
A question though... why do you want fogs as DLR anyway? I see dozens of people who drive around at night with just the DLR and no tail lights because they see light in front of them and don't turn on the headlights. It's a real problem where I am. If it were up to ME, I'd mandate that DLRs also include the Tail Lights. Such a hazard, these things.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
gkubrak (03-31-2021), guy (03-31-2021), kj07xk (03-31-2021), MarkyUK (03-31-2021), u102768 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 04:28 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
SDD does provide for DLR when you toggle the option, but not on the fogs. You could do some rewiring and achieve this without much ado.
A question though... why do you want fogs as DLR anyway? I see dozens of people who drive around at night with just the DLR and no tail lights because they see light in front of them and don't turn on the headlights. It's a real problem where I am. If it were up to ME, I'd mandate that DLRs also include the Tail Lights. Such a hazard, these things.
That is interesting. Are DRL compulsory for new vehicles in the USA? I ask because, for many years now they have been mandatory in the UK and I can't recall the last time I saw the situation you describe. It is certainly not common. So what I am wondering is this: if the DRLs are mandatory, and have been for some time, it makes a difference as to how drivers interact with them? Here in the UK we seem to have just 'gotten used to them' and they don't have a bearing on how we use our main lights at night.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:34 AM

Can't imagine why someone would do this, but in a world of green/red/purple LED's used on lights, well.....

I only use DRL's during the day, and the fogs because(a) the markers are too dim, and (b) the xenon lowbeams are too much -- and with Hella lightpods being sometimes subject to heat-related wire rot, I don't want to use them unless needed here in Florida. It's easy to switch the fogs on for daytime use. Further, replacing the yellow halogen H11's with white LEDs doesn't matter for daytime use.

As to taillight use -- the original reason for DRL's here was research that visible front light sharply reduced accidents. Insurance company's likely pushed it. Not sure if visible daylight taillights would do the same.

So I suppose manually switching on the fog DRL isn't much of a problem. Lazy me....

Thanks, LoudHog for the great idea on combo fogs/DRL's.

Last edited by panthera999; 03-31-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by barnsie
That is interesting. Are DRL compulsory for new vehicles in the USA? I ask because, for many years now they have been mandatory in the UK and I can't recall the last time I saw the situation you describe. It is certainly not common. So what I am wondering is this: if the DRLs are mandatory, and have been for some time, it makes a difference as to how drivers interact with them? Here in the UK we seem to have just 'gotten used to them' and they don't have a bearing on how we use our main lights at night.
Mandatory that they be installed; optional to use. Most new cars default to on, but most can be switched off if user wants. Usually (that I've seen) default to marker/parking light rings or other shapes, not lowbeams.

Last edited by panthera999; 03-31-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

People over here and lazy and cheap. They don't purchase (or maybe don't use) auto-on headlights. They instead waddle their way out of Walmart, get in their car and drive away. If they see any light from in front of their car, they don't even bother thinking "Turn On the Headlights" and go for miles with a faint glow emanating from the front. Of course, no tail lights anywhere. Every time I make the fifty mile drive home from my daughter's house, I see at least four incidents of this. While driving around town at night for half an hour, I see at least two.
Maybe you just don't notice because they are going the other way?

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (03-31-2021), MarkyUK (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 12:15 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

lol, what baffles me @Cee Jay n aren’t the lights in the instrument panel not activated until the lights are turned on?? so we both have too many people driving about with no rear lights and no intention of looking at the instrument panel??!! Mankind is doomed

Old 03-31-2021, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
lol, what baffles me @Cee Jay n aren’t the lights in the instrument panel not activated until the lights are turned on?? so we both have too many people driving about with no rear lights and no intention of looking at the instrument panel??!! Mankind is doomed
That's exactly what is stupid...... lights outside but a dark dash. Course, with all the idiots driving around nowadays not bothering to look at even the speedometer is ludicrous.

guy (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

They instead waddle their way out of Walmart,
I almost choked on my Horlicks!

The following 3 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
barnsie (04-01-2021), Cee Jay (03-31-2021), guy (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Jaguars for Canada have had DRL since 1990. The Jaguar system illuminates ALL exterior lights whenever the transmission is in D. Very safe - I agree completely that other systems which have illumination only at the front are dangerous. I cannot count the number of times at night I have come up on a silver/grey Nissan or Toyota because no tail lights were illuminated.

Cee Jay (03-31-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by panthera999
Mandatory that they be installed; optional to use. Most new cars default to on, but most can be switched off if user wants. Usually (that I've seen) default to marker/parking light rings or other shapes, not lowbeams.
Odd that they allow a disabling of a safety feature. Here, they can't be turned off - they come on with the ignition.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:34 AM

People over here and lazy and cheap. They don't purchase (or maybe don't use) auto-on headlights. They instead waddle their way out of Walmart, get in their car and drive away. If they see any light from in front of their car, they don't even bother thinking "Turn On the Headlights" and go for miles with a faint glow emanating from the front. Of course, no tail lights anywhere. Every time I make the fifty mile drive home from my daughter's house, I see at least four incidents of this. While driving around town at night for half an hour, I see at least two.
Maybe you just don't notice because they are going the other way?
I guess I'd notice people in front of me driving in the dark with no tail lights, but it's really rare I see that. Maybe your streetlighting is much better in the US? I could believe that. How do they react if you come up behind their unlit vehicle and give them a quick flash of your high beams?

Old 04-01-2021, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

How do they react if you come up behind their unlit vehicle and give them a quick flash of your high beams?
Depending on the neighborhood, likely get pissed, think you’re an a—hole, pull out a gun and open fire on you.

Cee Jay (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

..................... How do they react if you come up behind their unlit vehicle and give them a quick flash of your high beams?
Totally oblivious