XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Found my 2010. Fingers crossed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I have the 09 XKR convertible with a 4.2L supercharged engine. I can tell you that even though it's a 4.2L not a 5.0L, this car has more power and more thrust than I would need or want. On American roads and highways we can only drive so fast, speeds are controlled as you all know.

While many posters/members of this forum feel that the 4.2L vs 5.0L doesn't cut the mustard for speed and performance, I can certainly attest that is not true. The power of acceleration is quite awesome as well as overall performance.

Don't rule out a purchase 2009 of a XKR ever, just because you may think your missing out on performance. This baby is like a rocketship.

I recently convinced a friend that the V6S was the F Type to get and not the 5.0 supercharged trim... The V6S FEELS faster than my more powerful [and not much heavier] XKR.

The problem with the 5.0 XKR is by the time you stretch it out you're in triple digit speeds so quickly. For this I do miss my old M roady with the S54 that was lightning quick but at least took a bit of effort to open up the vanos and get her wound up.

Either way... XK, 4.2, 5.0 etc they are all amazing and we're all fortunate to have such desirable cars. They truly are the best GT car in the world - perhaps even independent of price. The 4.2 XK could use a little more juice @ 300hp but it's still a fine car to pilot.

Last edited by R_Rated; 10-25-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 375 Posts

While this might be somewhat off the topic.....A Jaguar salesman recently told me that no 2 XKs drive the same. He was so right. I drove a 2010 XKR that must have been abused, as it had rattles and some unusual suspension noises. It was an absolute rocket ship with power I found I could not use for not enough street distance. I drove 2 2010 XKs One was extremely fast, the other seemed to be lacking. Each car depending upon how it was serviced and cared for will drive differently.

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (10-27-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't rule out a purchase 2009 of a XKR ever, just because you may think your missing out on performance. This baby is like a rocketship.

richzak- totally agree. Budget permitting my aim would be to get behind the wheel of the newest version I can get my hands on and that will probably be a 2010, but if a low mileage 09 XKR is around then it's a definite possibility. The beauty of the XK is that to the casual observer they think my 7 year old car ( yes she was born in Nov. 06) is brand new!!!

Steve

Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sjtyrer

richzak- totally agree. Budget permitting my aim would be to get behind the wheel of the newest version I can get my hands on and that will probably be a 2010, but if a low mileage 09 XKR is around then it's a definite possibility. The beauty of the XK is that to the casual observer they think my 7 year old car ( yes she was born in Nov. 06) is brand new!!!

Steve
I absolutely totally agree. Price wise 2009 or earlier is definitely the way to go. My issue is with reading the posts with the condensate line as well as the peeling dashboard leather, and I don't want to wait for any of these to occur. Even if it never happens, my OCD would have it looming somewhere waiting to show up. Thus, I'm going the more expensive 2010 route.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I absolutely totally agree. Price wise 2009 or earlier is definitely the way to go. My issue is with reading the posts with the condensate line as well as the peeling dashboard leather, and I don't want to wait for any of these to occur. Even if it never happens, my OCD would have it looming somewhere waiting to show up. Thus, I'm going the more expensive 2010 route.
On premium cars, owners must be diligent in keeping the cars in top shape. That includes a regular routine to clean and care for the leather, either seats, door panels or dashboards. Storage is also important as garages are best vs parking the car outside. Use of sunshields in the windshield may be additional cost to the car owner, but is a necessity to keep a car nice.

What bothers me allot after owning a Jaguar and keeping it in pristine condition, I see so many beautiful cars that are never washed, windows dirty, wheels dirty etc. Most people want the nice cars, but just don't want to spend the time to keep them looking so nice. If they won't wash the car, just think, they probably never change oil either.

Owning a Jaguar XK or XKR due to the leather interior should not deter you from owning a 2009 or earlier. You just need to take care of it with proper materials and supplies.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

On premium cars, owners must be diligent in keeping the cars in top shape. That includes a regular routine to clean and care for the leather, either seats, door panels or dashboards. Storage is also important as garages are best vs parking the car outside. Use of sunshields in the windshield may be additional cost to the car owner, but is a necessity to keep a car nice.

What bothers me allot after owning a Jaguar and keeping it in pristine condition, I see so many beautiful cars that are never washed, windows dirty, wheels dirty etc. Most people want the nice cars, but just don't want to spend the time to keep them looking so nice. If they won't wash the car, just think, they probably never change oil either.

Owning a Jaguar XK or XKR due to the leather interior should not deter you from owning a 2009 or earlier. You just need to take care of it with proper materials and supplies.
I agree. It's amazing how many premium cars have slobs for owners. I wish I had the deep pockets to absorb the massive depreciation and make the plunge on a new XK.....but I'm realistic, thus the search goes on for the best used example I can find. So far 2 of the last 3 XKs I looked at were abused. One was super clean, but the mileage for this 2010 was higher than I was comfortable with.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

The 2011 I just bought had 40,000kms on it - about 25,000 miles. at about 15000km in a year, that's a lot more than I'd do but it didnt bother me. I took it to mean highway mileage which is much less wear on the car. And I think it was, the car is pristine - aside fro a couple of stone chips, you'd think it was new, and also it checked out fine and has balance of warranty.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
The 2011 I just bought had 40,000kms on it - about 25,000 miles. at about 15000km in a year, that's a lot more than I'd do but it didnt bother me. I took it to mean highway mileage which is much less wear on the car. And I think it was, the car is pristine - aside fro a couple of stone chips, you'd think it was new, and also it checked out fine and has balance of warranty.
Yes, I'm sure that the extra mileage may very well not affect the cars reliability or performance, however....I'd like to get as close to a new car as possible even though I've notice prices do get very tempting once the car's mileage moves up past 30,000 miles on 2010s. They virtually give some cars away with the very high miles but I'm not going there.

Last edited by bocatrip; 10-26-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

The other reason I'm looking for low mileage is so that when selling time comes, I don't get whacked across the head with additional depreciation for the higher mileage. Our car's values are extremely sensitive to mileage.
Be patient as it seems your on the right track and you know what you are looking for. Stick with your personal criteria and you will ultimately find what you want. Your in an area where lots of these Jagaurs appear for sale. Just make a low ball offer as the seller can always come back and make a counter offer. On my 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition convertible I bought earlier this year (May 24th) with 13,500 miles, the seller wanted $55,000. I ultimately got him down to $46,500 then paid $900 in transport costs to New Mexico from Palm Beach Florida. Many dealers think because it's a Jaguar brand, there are many rich people and suckers out there that will just pay their asking price.

Bargain hunt, bargain hunt, bargain hunt. There is a deal out there for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
bocatrip (10-26-2013), chazaroo (10-27-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Be patient as it seems your on the right track and you know what you are looking for. Stick with your personal criteria and you will ultimately find what you want. Your in an area where lots of these Jagaurs appear for sale. Just make a low ball offer as the seller can always come back and make a counter offer. On my 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition convertible I bought earlier this year (May 24th) with 13,500 miles, the seller wanted $55,000. I ultimately got him down to $46,500 then paid $900 in transport costs to New Mexico from Palm Beach Florida. Many dealers think because it's a Jaguar brand, there are many rich people and suckers out there that will just pay their asking price.

Bargain hunt, bargain hunt, bargain hunt. There is a deal out there for you.
Thanks Richzak. Now your've gotten me all revved up! I'm now geared up to get out there and start bargaining! They are not going to pull the wool over my eyes! lol Seriously though, although the XK Coupe is relatively rare compared to the Conv, there are still plenty to choose from. I'm not in love with dealing with the unsavory sales people who will not talk with you unless you are ready to empty your pockets right then and there. I do have a few connections with knowledgeable and amicable sales people who hopefully will contact me when the right car comes in on trade. There are always new cars coming in off of lease as well. Together with my constant searching, I'm sure something will come up that I will love. Thanks again for your encouragement.

Last edited by bocatrip; 10-26-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

My search narrowed to five 2010 coupes, all under 25K miles. Asking prices were $47K to $53K. I made the same offer ($43K) to all of them simultaneously, on condition that they pass inspection by the Lemon Squad guys. Three went for it but one waited too long and another wanted to play games with financing. The winner is a one owner silver coupe with 16500 miles, always serviced at the original dealer. Deals are out there and going into winter, sales of these cars drop off up north so the dealers are more willing to deal.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

That is an amazing price. Local or out of state? CPO car? There are a few cars I would consider buying but don't find it feasible due to the long distance at which the cars are located. It would be helpful to find a reputable outfit to check the car. Do they put the car up on a lift?
Hey Bocatrip, if you're interested, one of the cars I was looking at just lowered their price. It's a black 2010 coupe with 15442 miles at Audi Dallas. They're asking $43990!

Old 10-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

In reference to the Jaguar at Audi in Dallas. Do yourself a favor and read it's CarFax. That car has so many electrical faults its scary. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

PARKPLACE Plano has a 2012 XK with ??? 23K miles on it at a favorable price. But look at it's CarFax. It says it was a GOVT vehicle. So I says to my self, what part of the Govt would own a XK???? First thought was DEA for obvious reasons. So I contacted ParkPlace Plano and asked. It was owned by a stater represenative who was allowed to put Govt plates on it and that's why the CarFax says the owner was 'Govt.

Jpgs attached of the two CarFax

Attached Thumbnails Found my 2010. Fingers crossed-scary-xk-audi.jpg   Found my 2010. Fingers crossed-huh.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Hey Bocatrip, if you're interested, one of the cars I was looking at just lowered their price. It's a black 2010 coupe with 15442 miles at Audi Dallas. They're asking $43990!
Thanks Chazaroo. I read that car fax and did see a number of electrical entries. I'm sticking for the present for one owner cars. Although price is a major factor, I'm more concerned with an "exceptional" car. I hate to see cars that have had too many parts replaced other than wear parts. I saw an XKR that looked like a value until I saw the a/c compressor and I believe water pump were already replaced with under 20,000 miles. I do like your strategy of focusing in on a few cars and offering the same number across the board for all. I would do the same, but would still need to see the car in the flesh.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=chazaroo;841680] The winner is a one owner silver coupe with 16500 miles, always serviced at the original dealer. QUOTE]

That's another factor I weigh my decision heavily on.......a car that is serviced regularly at the same dealership.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
<sigh> I'm there with ya Steve... I'm 2 years into my '07 XK, and already looking at the 2010's. My problem is income level! After all, I barely made a used XK! Those at my level think I did very well to get into such a great car, but all it did was wet my appetite for an XKR! Yeash!
I would love an '10, but reality says I would still be happy with a low miles '09 as well. Sadly my XK is pristine, but approaching 70K miles, so her market value isn't helping me a lot...

Vince
What are you asking for yours?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
<sigh> I'm there with ya Steve... I'm 2 years into my '07 XK, and already looking at the 2010's. My problem is income level! After all, I barely made a used XK! Those at my level think I did very well to get into such a great car, but all it did was wet my appetite for an XKR! Yeash!
I would love an '10, but reality says I would still be happy with a low miles '09 as well. Sadly my XK is pristine, but approaching 70K miles, so her market value isn't helping me a lot...

Vince
be financially smart... The general public can't tell the difference between an 07 XK and a new XKR. You're still fortunate to have an 07! It's agreat car and 300hp was super car status at one point.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by wjgesq
What are you asking for yours?
Sorry WJGESQ, I'm nowhere ready at this point!
I can say that when the time comes, someone is going to get a great looking car for her age!
Thanks to sandblasting on a mountain pass a year ago she is sporting fresh paint all around, along with new headlights, foglights, windshield and grill (All at a Jag authorized shop)! Darn near showroom for a 6 year old car!

Hummmmmm Christmas is coming..... I wonder.....

@ R_rated. Reality bites, and I know I'm lucky to be in an XK (And paying dearly for the privlege)! Still, I find the 300hp lacking for how I drive. I know the XKR would fill that void, and I would still be proud of an '09 If I could reach for one. I'm spoild with having nearly all the packages, and would not want to step to a R without them! ..Narrows my choices there too! .picky picky picky....

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 11-01-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

clever name:
What do you mean by "I'm spoild with having nearly all the packages, and would not want to step to a R without them! ..Narrows my choices there too! .picky picky picky...."

It seems like you are saying that there are options available on XKs that aren't available on XKRs? Or is there something on your present vehicle that isn't available on 2009 and up XK/XKR? Curious as to your meaning.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Sorry for the confusion AVMIII.
What I mean is I like my adaptive cruze, and such. I look at XKR's and many do not have it, so I dont even consder the car.
The Luxury package on my XK also included 19" rims, which I dont think were even offered on an XKR.
Front parking sensors is one thing I do not have that I would also want next time.

It's the little things I have that I dont want to loose in an upgrade.

Vince

Quick Reply: Found my 2010. Fingers crossed