XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Found my 2010. Fingers crossed

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
The dealer in Chicago collects the FL sales tax. So no break there.
I am under the assumption that any out of state car I purchase gets temporary tags if driven and the sales tax is paid once registered in my state (Florida). Regardless, I want to see the current title before I purchase the car. When I purchased a used car here in Florida 3 years ago, the dealer was required to register the car for me and collected the sales tax. I still got a copy of the original title and all the paper work for my records. In that instance I saw the actual title before I purchased the car.

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-03-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Florida is one of the states that the dealer in Chicago can file the registration and pay the sales tax. I will still get a copy of the title and paperwork. This is not getting temp tags because it is being trucked down.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Florida is one of the states that the dealer in Chicago can file the registration and pay the sales tax. I will still get a copy of the title and paperwork. This is not getting temp tags because it is being trucked down.
Chazaroo.....Sounds like you are covered and in very good shape. I'm overly **** and cover things to an extreme. When I purchased my used car, I checked the dealer with the BBB and actually called the motor vehicle bureau to verify the dealer's license. I was surprised to find out they actually knew the dealer and gave him their blessing. These days, being overly cautious can't hurt. Keep us posted with your new toy! You must be very excited as I would be.

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

This is a family owned, branded dealership (Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover) that has been in business since 1958. I'd feel a whole lot different if it was some used car outfit. It's a little weird buying the car without seeing it and driving it but the inspection guys did a better job checking the car out than I would have so I figured it was worth a shot. I'll post results when the car gets here.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

This is a family owned, branded dealership (Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover) that has been in business since 1958. I'd feel a whole lot different if it was some used car outfit. It's a little weird buying the car without seeing it and driving it but the inspection guys did a better job checking the car out than I would have so I figured it was worth a shot. I'll post results when the car gets here.
Was it Howard Orloff Motors....?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

When i lived in Chicago I bought at least 4 Jaguars from Howard Orloff. I always found them to be fair and honest. In addition the would go the extra "mile" with a just a little push if and when it was necessary. Chazaroo enjoy the new to you Jag.

chazaroo (11-04-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

No sales tax on used cars brought in from another state in Hawaii! Yea hah! Saves a bundle.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hawaii
No sales tax on used cars brought in from another state in Hawaii! Yea hah! Saves a bundle.
What's the cost to ship a car via container across the ocean from the mainland to Hawaii?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

I would assume that this is your car?

2010 Jaguar XK 2dr Car RWD 8 Cylinders 5.0L | P12378 | Used Vehicles Chicago, Illinois | Pre-Owned - Used Car Dealership

If so, nice choice and great Carfax report on the car.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 JAGUAR XK PORTFOLIO

Only question, if this is your car. Has the dealer stated why the gas tank was replaced?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
What's the cost to ship a car via container across the ocean from the mainland to Hawaii?
It's about $1100 last I checked from west coast major cities. Not bad and lots of great cars out of California .

Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member

Was it Howard Orloff Motors....?
Yes, it's Orloff. From the research I've done, they are a very reputable dealership.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

I would assume that this is your car?

2010 Jaguar XK 2dr Car RWD 8 Cylinders 5.0L | P12378 | Used Vehicles Chicago, Illinois | Pre-Owned - Used Car Dealership

If so, nice choice and great Carfax report on the car.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 JAGUAR XK PORTFOLIO

Only question, if this is your car. Has the dealer stated why the gas tank was replaced?
Yep, that's the one. Looks like a pretty good deal to me. This is apparently a good time to buy cars in places like Chicago. With winter coming on, sales for cars like this drop off because so many people don't drive them in snow. The dealers figure it's sell now, sit on the car until spring or send it to the auction. Mine was already on its way to auction in PA when I bought it. They then trucked it back to Orloff, where the Lemon Squad guy did the inspection. It will probably ship down here towards the end of this week. Regarding the gas tank, there was a recall that had to do with the fuel sensors in the tank. As I understood it, if the bad sensor was on one side of the tank it could be accessed. If it was on the other side, it could not. I did see a couple other 2010s with CarFax reports mentioning replacing the fuel tank.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, that's the one. Looks like a pretty good deal to me. This is apparently a good time to buy cars in places like Chicago. With winter coming on, sales for cars like this drop off because so many people don't drive them in snow. The dealers figure it's sell now, sit on the car until spring or send it to the auction. Mine was already on its way to auction in PA when I bought it. They then trucked it back to Orloff, where the Lemon Squad guy did the inspection. It will probably ship down here towards the end of this week. Regarding the gas tank, there was a recall that had to do with the fuel sensors in the tank. As I understood it, if the bad sensor was on one side of the tank it could be accessed. If it was on the other side, it could not. I did see a couple other 2010s with CarFax reports mentioning replacing the fuel tank.
Looks like you got a great car. With the history, I really don't think that you will have any problems and will enjoy this ride for many years to come. You got a good deal, and I am sure that this week will be filled with excitement waiting for delivery.

I also like the color and wheels.

chazaroo (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like you got a great car. With the history, I really don't think that you will have any problems and will enjoy this ride for many years to come. You got a good deal, and I am sure that this week will be filled with excitement waiting for delivery.

I also like the color and wheels.
Thanks, I can't wait to have it delivered. Probably early next week. The shipper picks up in Chicago either Thursday or Friday. So next Monday or Tuesday, it should be here!

Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I can't wait to have it delivered. Probably early next week. The shipper picks up in Chicago either Thursday or Friday. So next Monday or Tuesday, it should be here!
Looks like you got a great deal and a really nice looking car from a reputable dealer. How can you do better than that? Do you have plans on getting an extended warranty once the factory one expires?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Looks like you got a great deal and a really nice looking car from a reputable dealer. How can you do better than that? Do you have plans on getting an extended warranty once the factory one expires?
It sure looks good on paper and in the photos. As for the warranty, I'm not sure. I got one for my 07 XK and never needed it. Two grand wasted. The fctory warranty is good until next May so I've got a little time to think about it.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

It sure looks good on paper and in the photos. As for the warranty, I'm not sure. I got one for my 07 XK and never needed it. Two grand wasted. The fctory warranty is good until next May so I've got a little time to think about it.
2K will fix a lot of small things but not very many major things! Does the lemon squad warranty their investigation?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Richzak and Chazaroo. Do the tansporters you used have enclosed carriers? Would you know their names? Individually owned or brokers?

Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Richzak and Chazaroo. Do the tansporters you used have enclosed carriers? Would you know their names? Individually owned or brokers?
Boca:

In all of my auto transports, I used an open trailer.

If you are concerned about an open trailer then the BEST in the transport business in an enclosed trailer is "Reliable Carriers, Inc".

.......www.reliablecarriers.com

Otherwise go to Transport Reviews.com - Ratings and Reviews of Auto Transport Companies - Your Source For Finding a Quality Auto Transporter! and get a review on the company that you are going to use or considering.

You have the choice of going through a TRANSPORT (Truck) BROKER and that will cost an additional $200 to $300 as the broker will put your transport request on the "Central Dispatch" system that all major trucking companies use to bid on jobs.

Or you can find a transport company that will deal direct with the customer, thus avoiding the truck broker.

Hope this info helps. Any more questions just ask. I have hired transports many times.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I have used FedEx passport enclosed transporter in the past. They are one of the best in the business

Quick Reply: Found my 2010. Fingers crossed