XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Front License plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

We have a bizarre rule here. If the plate holder is not fitted, you need not display the plate, but it must be in the car (!?!?!). I think this one is up there with the Utah law about not shooting whales from a moving car.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
...up there with the Utah law about not shooting whales from a moving car.
But what about pickup trucks?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
But what about pickup trucks?
You can shoot anything from a pick up, can't you?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea of the retractable Altec plate and would really appreciate if anyone has any experience using one. I think it is potentially the perfect solution. That said, mine came with the front plate holder already installed and I desparately want to remove it. Anyone have any experience in plugging the holes left by the plate holder?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

The "best" way to fix the holes is to get the bumper R&R'd and fill the holes/respray. However, that's pretty pricey. Next best option is here: PRODUCTS

They look pretty good, and they come painted to match. This is the option I chose when I got my XKR.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rahtok:
blackcat1 (02-21-2012), Johngflyer (02-11-2014)
Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
We have a bizarre rule here. If the plate holder is not fitted, you need not display the plate, but it must be in the car (!?!?!).
If your in Utah, Utah Code 41-1a-404 (1) says " License plates issued for a vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached to the vehicle, one in the front and the other in the rear."

(Sorry, misread your post... Thought you were in Utah)

Nevada NRS 482.275 says you have to have both plates attached unless the manufacture does not sell a front plate mounting option.

We have a similar law here in Washington State, and trust me, the list of cars that "do not" offer a factory mounting bracket available is a very small list indeed (And our officers know the list well).

Last edited by CleverName; 02-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I zip ties for inspection and take off the front plate after that...

Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try to find a tow hook license plate bracket. This site has one for the XF, but not the XK. If you contact them, they can probably make one that would work on the XK, it's just a matter of getting the right thread pitch and length for the adapter.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooke
The problem going w/o is that you're rolling probable cause, subject to being stopped at any time. If you never have beers after work, OK, otherwise a risk.

As a criminal defense attorney, I can't tell you how many cases get started by innocuous PC ...

+1 also a attorney

Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

+2 ex prosecutor, saw thousands of cases that started with a stop for no front plate... Usually not defendants driving $100k imports.

I'm still running no plates. Gotta figure out a way to mount that front plate, then I'll put e rear on. Already 3-4 parking tickets for no plates/no front plate, but at $35 a pop I figure I'd keep the car looking right and pay my tax.

Never pulled over yet, like I said cops don't usually fish for trouble if a middle aged white guy is driving what looks like a new expensive car in an affluent neighborhood. Yes, if I drive in a bad area I'll probably get stopped, questioned about what im doing in a 'high drug' area and inquired about the dealer placard in lieu of the plate, but so far so good. I think the meter maids downtown have me figured out, so no parking on the street until I sort out the front plate situation.

Bought the front plate mount that goes in the tow bolt, but 1)looks odd (being off center and all) and 2)blocks the passenger side front distance sensor, a huge pita IMO and a deal killer.

I was thinking of buying a front plate mount, cutting the top third off, and mounting it to the car via expanding 'T' bolts through the grill, with a rubber membrane to protect the nose from the mount.

Then I'd bend the law by bending the top third of the plate back, around 45 degrees. Less big flat plate to mess up the lines, no holes in the bumper. Probably a technical violation of the law, but one could argue that the plate was bent by impact, and all the numbers show AND the plate is intact, not cut or made less readable...

If I go this route I'll start a new thread and post step by step pics. I think it'll look better than any option I've seen.

I wish the motorized hideaway mounts were feasible, bit between the arm and plate showing on edge, the complaints about bottoming out and ruining it, difficulty mounting on our cars, etc, it looks like a no-go. Shame.

Such a jacked up law...

Oh, I'm also fighting a neighborhood requirement forcing me to stick a HUGE brown HAND WRITTEN (in parts) 'area parking sticker' on my bumper. Insane. NFW. War with city parking is fun (not). NFW am I paying to put a 4"x6" brown sticker on. Not gonna happen.

Might mean having to shell out ~$300k to have a two car garage built off street on my property, hardly a financially agreeable solution, considering I have nearly a block of frontage and no house or car close by, no real need for off street parking.

Anyone try bending part of their plate, or mounting it at a bit of an angle? Trouble?

Last edited by Skeeter; 03-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Zip it

I'm with my fellow Masshole on this one... Zip tie for inspect and then clip clip back in the trunk.

Too funny how us Beantown boys have the same solution!

I have put 1/2" thick insulation tape on the backs of my plates and it has done a great job of protecting the paint. No plate mount on the back but no scratches from the edge rubbing either.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 xk-r

License plate bracket provided with car turned upside down held on with
toggle (drywall) bolts through grill. No holes drilled.

Name:  041.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  76.2 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by desert:
guy (02-11-2014), Steve_C (05-06-2022)
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Desert, is there a specific length of bolt that you used? Did you have to cut them?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Take a look, I posted a write up a week or so back, pictures included:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-screws-70583/

Skeeter

Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting Front Plate

This isn't the best, but works for now, Used clips that one uses to go through sheet rock holes that spring out, Bought a generic plate bracket that is marketed by Volvo, and mounted as shown, Used Ty Raps to steady.
Best part so far is no holes in front of car.
I can send you more info if you wish.

Attached Thumbnails Front License plate-pa250039.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooke
The problem going w/o is that you're rolling probable cause, subject to being stopped at any time. If you never have beers after work, OK, otherwise a risk.

As a criminal defense attorney, I can't tell you how many cases get started by innocuous PC ...

I would expect that the police could pull any of us over Brooksy and we wouldn't be drinking and driving.

If cases are started by innocuous PC then they deserve it IMO.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Desert,
'with car upside down' , how did you do this?!

Adrian

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Default license plate

Took the plate mounting bracket that came with the car --

and turned the bracket upside down.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Not sure on bolt length, not critical. The bracket seemed to fit better upside down.
Name:  016.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  195.2 KB

The following users liked this post:
ronev (05-08-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Texas and am used to the front tag problem. I hate 'em. I received 3-4 citations, so rather than drill holes in Porsches and Mercedes, I went the tow-hook route. I experimented with the extra mounting holes in the plate to get the best look on the car. Makes a big difference, and I use the tow-hook mount on my XK-R as well.

I've had nothing but approving comments on these mounts over the years. Sure, most people aren't familiar with most cars I've had, and they assume the front tag mount came with the car. Most comment that they've never seen such engineering thought and execution devoted to a license plate bracket!

I like the fact that the tag is very firmly attached to the car, yet doesn't touch the body.

Better yet, whenever I travel to other states, it's super-easy to take it off, slap the cap back on the hole, and head out.

Front License plate-img_0021.jpg

Front License plate-img_0018.jpg

Front License plate-img_0023.jpg

Last edited by ronev; 04-16-2012 at 02:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
leggitt (12-18-2014)

Quick Reply: Front License plate