XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Front License plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Lol, nice!

And my, what nice and shiny paint you have there!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Vince - that's a very elegant solution!!

I'd be curious to see a picture of the underside of the car when the license plate is stowed away if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks!

Sandy

Old 06-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Not arguing with you Sandy, but the simple truth for us here in Washington is that "It's the law...." Clear cut, plain and simple and in black and white... (RCW 46.16A.200, and just found out it carries a $124 fine.)

I'd love to see it changed too, but with all our toll systems going in place its just going to get worse.

Of additional interest is the new mobile car cameras we maintain on our police units. They record your license plate and GPS location just by passing you head-on (even with 140mph approach speeds)! Advantage is that if the car is stolen they get an instant in-car alert.

I also fear a darker side to the big brother money making effect that is soon to be coming...

Vince
I think I'm probably more worried about getting stopped at the Canadian border for no front plate than anywhere else. I tend to drive mostly on 405 and I-90 than the new tolled roads but I always have my eye out. I also have the 9500ix. Works great doesn't it?

Sandy

Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by sandydlc
Vince - that's a very elegant solution!!

I'd be curious to see a picture of the underside of the car when the license plate is stowed away if it's not too much trouble.
The plate actually detaches and I can toss it in back. (The second photo shows the black bracket as it remains on the car....)

If I wanted to play the "silly me" card, I could keep it (the plate) in the back seat and if pulled over just claim "Oh man! I forgot to put it back on after I washed the car! Sorry bout that!" and offer to remount it then and there....

Originally Posted by sandydlc
I also have the 9500ix. Works great doesn't it?
Sandy
Love it... Can't imagine driving without it... (My first one was stolen, so bought another....)

Vince

Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
cpf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took by front plate off. I put small plastic black interior trim plugs to fill the three screw holes.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Way...

...am I punching holes in that beautiful bumper. Required here to, but I'll take the ticket. Careful though driving after 5 if you know what I mean...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 AM

I've been keeping the front plate off the car in the Tri-state as well and hopefully it won't amount to anything. I think the primary advice I'd give is to avoid street parking anywhere in the 5 boroughs of the city, I think that's a sure way to get a ticket.

I keep mine in a locked garage outside the city limits...and try to sneak out usually only under the cover of darkness on weekend nights

Originally Posted by dd823
I will do the same. How long have you had yours ??

Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

In Ontario, Canada, and probably right across the country, every car has had to have a front plate for at least the last 40 years...and probably since the beginning of time. Nobody thinks twice about them, every dealer installs them, they are invisible to us because we don't even think about it. A gorgeous car still looks awesome despite it, we don't wonder about how we can move it or get around having it. It's just there and doesn't bother us. Had it not been for threads like this from our friends to the south we wouldn't even think about it...it's a total non-issue.

I can see that the car is more attractive without it, and can understand why those of you who are plating them for the first time would be so reluctant, but it's just one of those things...and after a while will become a nothing.

Bruce

Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM

I mounted mine in front the same way as FJK. I used SS screws that went thru the grill openings into the mounting holes for the grill itself. Works perfectly and no holes in the bumper.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by desert
Not sure on bolt length, not critical. The bracket seemed to fit better upside down.
Do I need to buy this plate bracket from the dealer? Is there a part number so I can order it online somewhere?

Attached Thumbnails Front License plate-016.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best solution - double sided tape!

I lived in RI where they require front plates, and it must be present to pass inspection. So - I bought a plastic liscense plate mount and attached the plate. Then I bought cushioned double sided tape (picture hanging tape designed not to mark painted walls by 3M). Put the tape on the back of the plastic frame - but kept the backing on the tape! Went in for my inspection, pulled out the plastic frame, removed the tape backing, stuck it to the front of the car, passed inspection, removed the plate, replaced the tape backing and stowed the plate for my next inspection.

Never have been stopped for not having a front plate, but I keep the license plate in my trunk with the tape (and tape backing) still on it in case I do...in which case, the dang thing just fell off!

Last edited by Swagga; 01-10-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

After getting two tickets for no front plate, I bought the Skene Design under-the-bumper mount; $60-, two small screws that go under the bumper lip and cannot be seen, took me 15 minutes to install, and it works great. Highly recommended.

The following users liked this post:
Jonnyy (08-05-2015)
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Great design and solution! You even used genuine Jaguar '1935 Morris 8 Black Paint' on the bracket ( just my little joke that I started in the 60's!).
If it's not copyright I'd like to copy it, please................

Cheers, Adrian

Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enforcing the Front Plate in Chicago

I've received 15, $60.00 parking tickets in Chicago for not having a front plate. Although it's hit or miss with getting the tickets, I can't take it anymore.

I really...really...hate to put holes in my bumper, as I'll be relocating to Maryland (where the front plate is not required) next year.

That Skene option is not offered for the Jaguar, but I see some owners have purchased it...does it work?

Does the double-sided tape, damage the paint?

I need a permanent solution, for a temporary issue...

Mad @ these "Jag-off's" in Chicago!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I use double stick tape for inspection and then take the plate off after that. I'll take my lumps as they come. In ten years, I got one ticket for no front plate and my car was parked at a meter.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by KLMJAG09
I've received 15, $60.00 parking tickets in Chicago for not having a front plate. Although it's hit or miss with getting the tickets, I can't take it anymore.

I really...really...hate to put holes in my bumper, as I'll be relocating to Maryland (where the front plate is not required) next year.

That Skene option is not offered for the Jaguar, but I see some owners have purchased it...does it work?

Does the double-sided tape, damage the paint?

I need a permanent solution, for a temporary issue...

Mad @ these "Jag-off's" in Chicago!
Here is another option....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-mount-69180/

Old 10-03-2013, 03:29 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,102 Likes on 775 Posts

Is this a 007 or Transporter solution? Very nice. I need to look at this.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:36 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,102 Likes on 775 Posts

:-) I had the holes filled.

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
In Ontario, Canada, and probably right across the country, every car has had to have a front plate for at least the last 40 years...and probably since the beginning of time. Nobody thinks twice about them, every dealer installs them, they are invisible to us because we don't even think about it. A gorgeous car still looks awesome despite it, we don't wonder about how we can move it or get around having it. It's just there and doesn't bother us. Had it not been for threads like this from our friends to the south we wouldn't even think about it...it's a total non-issue.

I can see that the car is more attractive without it, and can understand why those of you who are plating them for the first time would be so reluctant, but it's just one of those things...and after a while will become a nothing.

Bruce

Old 10-03-2013, 04:50 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

CT got rid of the front plate a while ago, to save money, then the police threw a tantrum, and back came the front plate.

Our legislature won't even consider legislation without checking first with the police. If the cops like it, nobody cares whether the peasants do or not.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to Re-Post your message and pics of your front mounted plate. I think it'll be very useful to thousands who want to comply, but not want to destroy the value of their CAT (front bumper)....Great idea.....

Quick Reply: Front License plate