XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Front License plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

It was a very young trooper who also had another tropper on "training" with him. Taught him a valuable lesson on how to earn money on the streets for the states coffers - another big crime prevented with giving a citation to a luxury car owner crusing at 55MPHH in the middle lane instead of a fix it ticket.

MDs finest, just out to increase O'Malleys budget ....

Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello... before you drill (hopefully you haven't yet) you might want to try a trick of using long shank screws with rubber tubing to support and attach them through the grilled area which enables you to comply without drilling wholes in the front of your vehicle. I got the information from a guy at the Jag meet in Virginia. He a young Asian guy (Sorry I can't recall his name) with a Black Convertible XK, which has similar if not the same style of grill......I'll be doing the same shortly to my XKR

Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
It was a very young trooper who also had another tropper on "training" with him. Taught him a valuable lesson on how to earn money on the streets for the states coffers - another big crime prevented with giving a citation to a luxury car owner crusing at 55MPHH in the middle lane instead of a fix it ticket.

MDs finest, just out to increase O'Malleys budget ....
My BIL is a retired NYSP and a classic Corvette owner. He retired some 15 years ago but is still on a friendly bases with some of the older and newer troopers along with the barracks major. NY has had a 2 plate system since time began . Some of the newer Corvettes have no provisions for a front plate and most guys I know don't put them on as well as a lot of the Ferrari owners. The local LEO's let it slide and almost all of the State guys do also as some of them have classic cars. The game here is if you get tagged for something else and smart mouth the cops they will hit you with the ticket.Also if you go through a road check they tell you to put the front plate on but usually don't give you a ticket unless the Sargent is standing next to you. So it's a risk here but most times they let it slide.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fjk
The first photo is the license plate holder that came with the car and where it's attached.
The second photo shows the toggle bolt that attaches it. Leaves no marks. Available at Home Depot.
FJK I got a question here. I like your approach to mounting the front plate. Being in NY I need to do the same thing and the dealer is shipping me the front plate holder. My question is with the plate mounted in the lower grill area does it create a problem with air flow and cooling. I was stopped today and because I told the LEO I am waiting for the holder he let me go. Thanks

Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Texas, i was stopped and the cop told me the plate didn't have to be ON the car. As long as i had the plate in the car, it was ok. Since then, for my old Vette, Ford GT and the XKR the front plate is now in the trunk or under the bonnet.
Also, since an officer has to have a reason to pull over a car, the lack of front plates on nearly all sports cars give them the ability to stop those cars at will. Same with the driver's side window tint law.

Last edited by ken1am; 05-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
leggitt (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get a two-hook mount for my XK-R but I'm concerned about the parking sensors. How did you handle it?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I managed to mount my front plate without drilling holes with J bolts and some creative bolt-and-washer use. It was a long thread, I think I even posted pictures... If you can't find it I'll take a look myself and if worst case it can't be found, I'll take pictures.

This was my previous XKR, which came to a premature end by way of accident. But the grill with the plate attached popped off and I kept it. It is currently hanging off the wall in the basement, so taking a photo or two shouldn't be too tough.

Best,

Skeeter

Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by leggitt
I want to get a two-hook mount for my XK-R but I'm concerned about the parking sensors. How did you handle it?
Hi,
Not sure you are referring to my post, but, I'll answer in my case, I don't have front sensors. I was more concerned with blocking air-flo to the coolers located behind the grill on either side of the tag.
If I did have front sensors, I could always fold the tag out of site before parking. But then, that would be a PITA. LOL!

Attached Thumbnails Front License plate-front-tag-installed.jpg   Front License plate-my-tag-disappeared.jpg  
Old 12-19-2014, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by leggitt
It'd have to be a helluva big plate to cover the sensors; there's a big gap between the two centre ones, presumably for that very reason.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Double-sided blue tape

Seriously, this db sided tape stuff has worked wonders for me...I only use it when on Texas highways. Hold perfectly @ high speeds and leaves little residue when removed. once I get back in the city I just simply remove apply some glue gone presto looks right back to normal. Rather drive around with no plates but that's not a choice on the Texas highways.
Try it out sometime

Attached Thumbnails Front License plate-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GhostRider9000 (11-19-2018)
Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a mounting kit (no-holes) that I bought from this website Home - GMG Motorsports-Home of the Original 'NO HOLES' License Plate Bracket on the front of my 2012 XKR. The mount is connected to the tow link on the car and only requires the removal of the replaceable tow link cover/cap on the bumper.

The only problem I have had is that the plate covers the right park assist sensor, so I need to find a work around that will silence that sensor when I am parking. Any ideas???

Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ken1am
In Texas, i was stopped and the cop told me the plate didn't have to be ON the car. As long as i had the plate in the car, it was ok. Since then, for my old Vette, Ford GT and the XKR the front plate is now in the trunk or under the bonnet.
Also, since an officer has to have a reason to pull over a car, the lack of front plates on nearly all sports cars give them the ability to stop those cars at will. Same with the driver's side window tint law.
Yeah, this is what I thought, regarding having the plate in the car. NO DICE, in my case!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ELMac
I put a mounting kit (no-holes) that I bought from this website Home - GMG Motorsports-Home of the Original 'NO HOLES' License Plate Bracket on the front of my 2012 XKR. The mount is connected to the tow link on the car and only requires the removal of the replaceable tow link cover/cap on the bumper.

The only problem I have had is that the plate covers the right park assist sensor, so I need to find a work around that will silence that sensor when I am parking. Any ideas???
I thought about that location as well, and decided against, as it would block the air-flow to the right cooler. Mounting the holder in the center was the best choice. It's between the two coolers, so there is no apparent blockage of air-flow.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ELMac

Mounted mine using the OEM bracket mounted upside down. Made "L" bracket attached under center section. No holes in the front.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi folks,

Any new and improved methods for mounting a front plate that the dealer neglected to do out the door? They are ordering me a mounting plate to do it for me next time I'm in. Hate the thought, but it's the law and I tend to break it from time to time. Don't need the added aggravation.

Thank you,
GR

Last edited by GhostRider9000; 06-21-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
Hi folks,

Any new and improved methods for mounting a front plate that the dealer neglected to do out the door? They are ordering me a mounting plate to do it for me next time I'm in. Hate the thought, but it's the law and I tend to break it from time to time. Don't need the added aggravation.

Thank you,
GR
Hi GR,
Did you not see my posting? There are not many choices only positions.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
Hi folks,

Thank you,
GR
GR if you don't want to drill into the front of the bumper cover here is an easy way to do it using the OEM plate holder. Go to Home Depot or a hardware store and buy a piece of 1"x1" aluminum angle. Cut it to the length of the plate holder. Drill 2 holes on the underside of the bumper cover in the middle of the cover. Screw the angle to the cover. Put a couple of double sided foam tape stripes on the back of the plate holder. Screw the bottom of the plate holder to the aluminum angle and press the holder to the cover. Mount the plate. The next owner can remove it and there are no holes in the front to fill.

Attached Thumbnails Front License plate-dsc00089.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Y'all are making this harder than it needs to be. Go to Amazon and buy one of
these these
. It mounts up underneath - no holes in the bumper - and you can slide it underneath for those times when you don't want to display the front plate. I put one on my XK right away as I bought it in FL and live in NE, which requires a front plate on display. Easy peasy.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fstick09
They are required in Texas as well, but most of us (with these type of cars) don't put them on.

Personally I would rather take the chance of a ticket than defile the front of my cat.
this is my situation in ca too. I choose to roll the dice and not ruin the front end!

The following 2 users liked this post by ferraripete:
Cee Jay (06-22-2017), ralphwg (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default same here

Originally Posted by dag82
Seriously, this db sided tape stuff has worked wonders for me...I only use it when on Texas highways. Hold perfectly @ high speeds and leaves little residue when removed. once I get back in the city I just simply remove apply some glue gone presto looks right back to normal. Rather drive around with no plates but that's not a choice on the Texas highways.
Try it out sometime

I also use the double sided tape, was worked fine for a couple of years now. I refused to drill holes, and while I worked out the process I would use, I too was pulled over in MD.

Best,
wrair

Quick Reply: Front License plate