XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Front Strut Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 02:35 PM
Received 100 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Front Strut Leak?

Has anyone seen this before? It appears this "goo" is coming out of the top of the front strut. This one is on the right side. Left side has a little, but nowhere close to the right.

Thanks in advance,
Rick.

Top Answer

04-16-2024, 06:47 PM
fritzthecat
Default Fixed!

Finally getting around to writing up this project. Thanks to everyone who gave good advice, always nice to have a little advance info. Also nice to have the repair manual to refer to. I've posted the section that shows this repair. A few words beforehand, I didn't have the "Jaguar Spec'd" spring compressor, I used a conventional set from Harbor Freight. A little trickier to use, but finding and buying the Jag one is probably more time and money than is really necessary. You can see in the manual what that one looks like. Also, step #6, "Release the LH lower suspension arm." I didn't do. I was able to get enough space to remove the strut without taking that apart, so, my opinion is, if it don't need to come apart, leave it alone.

So, here goes. SAFETY FIRST! Always use a jack stand to support the car. 'Nuff said...

Manual says disconnect the sway bar link. Here's a pic of the right side sway bar after removing that link.

Next, undo the upper "A" arm nut. Big socket wrench to get it initially loose, then you'll need a 6mm allen wrench to stabilize the shaft while you continue to unscrew the nut. It's one of those jam nuts, that have some resistance to being undone. The Jag manual says to discard these and replace them with new, I didn't.

Once that's free, the whole caliper/rotor/hub assembly will fall away from its normal position. You need to support it somehow so it doesn't pull on the brake line. The lines are tough, but I don't like to put any unnecessary strain on them. I used a milk crate.

With the hub free, you can remove the strut bottom bolt. For this you need a T-60 torx bit. That's pretty big, most DIYers probably won't have one. I didn't. Quick run to the auto parts store, now that Sears is history.

Last, undo the 4 top nuts. Don't forget to unplug the control wires.

After that, you can wiggle the strut assembly out of the car. Here it is! On the bench. Yeah, those are my religious shoes. (They're holy) :-)

Here's a close-up of the isolator. As you can see, it's shot.

Now, we get to the scary part - getting this puppy apart. I understand the caution involved, it can be a little dicey. But if you're careful it's not too bad. Like I said, I bought a spring compressor from Harbor Freight. It comes with 2 compressors and a nice plastic carrying case. I'm showing 2 pictures, cuz the first one I did I hooked the compressors up to the farthest two points on the spring I could get them and then started tightening them down. I thought it took a lot of tightening and tension to get that spring compressed enough to take the pressure off the top, more than I would have thought. But it worked. Phew. Second one I changed the mount points on the bottom to get more of the spring under compression. This gives you a little more travel with a little less force needed. That technique worked well, and the pieces came apart and went back together no problemo.

Once you have the spring compressed far enough, you only need to undo the one nut on top and the whole thing comes apart. Here's a picture with a close-up. A 17mm wrench fits the nut, but you have to hold the shaft from turning with (if I remember right) an 8mm allen wrench. It's not super tight, so it should come off pretty easily.

Here's a shot of the old isolator vs. the new one. The new one's on the left.

Here's a shot of the old mount from the right side of the car. Notice how the little metal flange in the center of it looks to be off center? Yeah. Ok, full disclosure - I did this job twice. The first time I only bought the isolators, thinking that was all that was necessary. It wasn't. I had to go back and get the two mounts as well. Those were a little harder to track down, as the ones I ordered from the first place the order was cancelled because they said they were out and couldn't get any more from Jaguar. Found another place online and was able to get them. So, my advice if you're doing this, it's worth the extra $$$ to just get all the parts and do the job once. The mount on the left side didn't look bad, but, if one side went bad the other is sure to fail soon...

Now, just put everything back together. Caveat: pay careful attention to the way the four studs on the mount line up with the mounting "U" on the bottom of the strut. Those bolts are not in a square, that's a rectangle, and if you don't get them lined up right you are going to be compressing the spring again to realign the assembly. The shaft with the electrical connections is less important, but I was careful to get that back in the same position it was just cuz. That way the wires lay down the same way they were.

Bottom line - it worked! The loud clunking sound I was hearing when going over minor bumps is now gone. Car feels great. It needed front tires anyway, so I took it in and got a wheel alignment, too. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that far off, based on the alignment report they print out for you, so apparently the work didn't affect the alignment much, if at all. The tires were wearing a little unevenly anyway, so I knew it wasn't perfect to begin with.

If you're brave and mechanically inclined and want to tackle this yourself, hope this helps!

Ciao for now.

Old 01-04-2024, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

There isn't anything there TO leak though. It looks like a mashed-up cookie to me.
Maybe you should clean that off to see what's beneath it.

Old 01-04-2024, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

any evidence elsewhere of rodents?

Old 01-04-2024, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 574 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
any evidence elsewhere of rodents?
That popped into my mind too. Fritz needs to post a pic of the other side

Old 01-04-2024, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
There isn't anything there TO leak though. It looks like a mashed-up cookie to me.
Maybe you should clean that off to see what's beneath it.

The following 5 users liked this post by McJag222:
bgpenguin21 (04-16-2024), CA Jag (01-05-2024), Cee Jay (01-04-2024), fritzthecat (01-05-2024), steve_k_xk (01-04-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzthecat
Has anyone seen this before? It appears this "goo" is coming out of the top of the front strut. This one is on the right side. Left side has a little, but nowhere close to the right.

Thanks in advance,
Rick.
Could be the isolators, they're brown orange and deteriorate.

The following 3 users liked this post by jahummer:
McJag222 (01-05-2024), steve_k_xk (01-07-2024), V7Sport (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 02:36 PM

Okay... Thanks for all the humorous responses! I like the cookie idea. If I was blue and fuzzy I could eat that stuff up.

But, I think @jahummer is on the right track. Here's what the left side looks like:

Here's a short video of what that junk is like. This is the right side.

Here's one of the left. Left side's not as bad. Yet.

I cleaned up the right side as best I could. That stuff is goo. Used mineral spirits, but that wasn't really doing the job. Acetone worked a little better. Pulled the control wire out, too, to get a better shot.

Notice how it looks off-center in the hole? Someting up wit dat.

Here's the left side cleaned up. This one looks centered ok.

You can't tell from the picture, but the left side looks "deeper" around the stem. The picture is starting to get a little clearer...

I jacked up the right front of the car, to take the load off the spring and strut. Here's what it looks like still sitting on the wheels. Note how far the stem sticks out of the strut bubble.

And here's what it looks like jacked up, with no load on the spring:

Big difference.

I guess I gotta look up that isolator part number and order a couple. Not really surprised they went bad. I'm in south Florida, where the sun and heat beats the **** out of everything in creation. Anyone know if this is a tough job? Are there any other parts that I should replace while I have it apart? The struts seem to still have good dampening, so I'd rather not replace those if they don't need it.

Thanks for all the good advice.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 03:12 PM

Ok, quick search online shows 2 parts that it might be? C2D16903 Spring Upper Isolator and C2P23038 Mount, (which seems to be for convertible only). Thoughts?

Old 01-05-2024, 03:27 PM
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, quick search online shows 2 parts that it might be? C2D16903 Spring Upper Isolator and C2P23038 Mount, (which seems to be for convertible only). Thoughts?
Please be exceptionally careful when working with shocks and springs. The springs are under tension and can really ruin your day if not handled properly.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:58 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

I think this might be a common issue across a few models:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hboard-211036/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...unt-fix-83608/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushing-103980/

I don't know much about it, I just remember seeing threads on it and the above are a few I found by searching for "front strut top foam" or "front strut top deteriorating" etc. I have a feeling I found a thread where someone here has made replacement parts that are holding up really well after a few years, but I can't find that particular thread. Hopefully the above gives you a start

Old 01-05-2024, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

You’ve confirmed what I’d suspected and I’d not recommend DIY if you’ve no experience. The assemblies must be removed from all 4 corners of the car and spring compressors to disassemble the struts, a very dangerous, deadly procedure if not done correctly.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

It's somewhat comforting to know our Jags are biodegradable...

The following 2 users liked this post by McJag222:
kj07xk (04-16-2024), ram_g (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

I recently changed my isolators (currently have xkr springs), and the ride quality was vastly improved. The rears aren't to bad when it comes to compressing the spring, but the fronts are quite challenging, especially if you are running the stock height set-up. I would highly recommend getting a shop to swap them out

The following 2 users liked this post by steve_k_xk:
cjd777 (01-07-2024), jahummer (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 07:05 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

I am surprised that you didn’t notice the deterioration while driving the car…. When my isolators started to wear, the squeak drove me crazy and the cornering ability diminished with more roll.
With the state of this situation, I’d be expecting a serious knocking in the front end.
I’m with @jahummer , unless you have a properly accessorized shop, I’d leave to to the pros. After all I’d want the alignment done after the job, anyways.

Last edited by guy; 01-06-2024 at 07:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
jahummer (01-06-2024), sony2000 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by guy
I am surprised that you didn’t notice the deterioration while driving the car…. When my isolators started to wear, the squeak drove me crazy and the cornering ability diminished with more roll.
With the state of this situation, I’d be expecting a serious knocking in the front end.
I’m with @jahummer , unless you have a properly accessorized shop, I’d leave to to the pros. After all I’d want the alignment done after the job, anyways.
This is my wife’s car, so I drive it very seldom. I was riding in it a couple of days ago, and noticed a clunky rattle sound when we hit a rough spot in the road, hence the investigation.
So, now I gotta figure out which parts it needs, the C2D16903 Spring Upper Isolator, or the C2P23038 Mount, or both?
Also, I’ve done struts before, (I had a 525i a few years back), so I don’t know if you all are being overly cautious or if this is really the struts-from-hell job you describe, but is there something different about this car? Do I need a super-special spring compressor or will a standard one work?

Old 01-07-2024, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Only the isolater required not the upper mounting plate.

We definitely aren't being over cautious and no special tools are required however you wil need 4 spring compressors to get the job done unless you have a proper wall / floor mounted spring compressor

Old 01-07-2024, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 748 Posts

If you have done this job on a BMW, it's about the same effort involved. Just a bit different the way the bottom comes out.
Getting them out it OK, but taking them to a machine shop to get the new mounts in place, priceless.
One other option, renting the spring compressor that fits in a vise and has a wheel to get things in place. Check out the lower bushings. and sway bar links.

Last edited by cjd777; 01-07-2024 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 748 Posts

Steve and all,
After looking over where that fuzz was coming out, I'm pretty sure that the top part of the mount (metal incasement) has two insulators sandwiching a washer between them to hold the shock. Just like the earlier XK's only smaller and the big insulator is made of the same material. You will need both pieces to effectively solve your problem.
It doesn't look like the upper part is a rebuildable piece like the early ones, don't know have never had my hands on one.
Lucky for you the price for both is still cheaper than the early ones in a lot of cases. Problem being they look to be URO and that is not one of the better aftermarket products.
Good luck on your project and when all is back together be sure to roll the car around back and forth a few times before you tighten all to specs. Let things get in a neutral positions like you need to do on the BMW.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cjd777
Steve and all,
After looking over where that fuzz was coming out, I'm pretty sure that the top part of the mount (metal incasement) has two insulators sandwiching a washer between them to hold the shock. Just like the earlier XK's only smaller and the big insulator is made of the same material. You will need both pieces to effectively solve your problem.
It doesn't look like the upper part is a rebuildable piece like the early ones, don't know have never had my hands on one.
Lucky for you the price for both is still cheaper than the early ones in a lot of cases. Problem being they look to be URO and that is not one of the better aftermarket products.
Good luck on your project and when all is back together be sure to roll the car around back and forth a few times before you tighten all to specs. Let things get in a neutral positions like you need to do on the BMW.
Identified in post #6 and the OP's managed to locate genuine replacements, they're quite inexpensive, no need to track down aftermarket...

Old 01-07-2024, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
The following users liked this post:
jahummer (01-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Front Strut Leak?