XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

front tag busted

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 258 Posts
Default front tag busted

Hey Guys,
Got nailed this past weekend for not having my front tag mounted while on the way to a Concours d' Elegance.I received a $70 *****. Crazy thing, the trooper noted, I didn't have a rear tag either. NOT TRUE! I'm going to make a court appearance as I've only had the car tagged since earlier this month (09-Sept) am going to state my case as not having time to order a front mount assy. Also the trooper errored in mentioning on my ticket, I didn't have a rear tag displayed......Go Figure?
Now, I have to figure out how to "elegantly" mount my front tag.......?

Attached Thumbnails front tag busted-jag-tags.jpg  
Old 09-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

In California that is considered a "fix it ticket". Meaning that you have the option to make the noted correction or pay a fine. I never put front plates on my cars and have been cited only once that I can recall. Another "fix it" infraction is tinted windows (that I have been cited on more than once). In either case - I pay the fine (most recent was a window tinting ticket that cost me $195).

Not sure it is the same where you are.

I would note that (from purely my POV) the aspect of the trooper making an error on the ticket regarding your rear tags.... Meaningless. Don't hang any hope on that getting you consideration from a Judge.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Only time in 12 years of no front plate on my car was when I was parked at meter in front of town hall.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ceckman
In California that is considered a "fix it ticket". Meaning that you have the option to make the noted correction or pay a fine. I never put front plates on my cars and have been cited only once that I can recall. Another "fix it" infraction is tinted windows (that I have been cited on more than once). In either case - I pay the fine (most recent was a window tinting ticket that cost me $195).

Not sure it is the same where you are.

I would note that (from purely my POV) the aspect of the trooper making an error on the ticket regarding your rear tags.... Meaningless. Don't hang any hope on that getting you consideration from a Judge.
Hi,
Thanks for your comments. Naw, I'm not "hanging my hat" on the trooper mentioning I had no rear plate too, to get any pity. But will, go with the story, the car came from a state that didn't require a front tag and I had to order an entire assy........???? (PS: I really did)

Old 10-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

You'll last about 15 minutes in San Francisco without a front plate if you are parked. My daugher even got spotted when she was nose in parked in an underground garage! otherewise, the rest of the state is fine. It's just like fish in a lake. Someone is going to get caught eventually.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

There is an Ftype thread on this topic. I posted there. That I have seen an automated license plate retraction device that conceals the plate under the front lip and extends it out and up via motorized connection. Saw on a forum few years back. You can try googling. This may be the elegant solution.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 941 Likes on 615 Posts

On the GT-R forum most owners use the tow hook access hole. A back plate can be ordered to screw in the hole to mount the plate on. Good luck with the ticket.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
There is an Ftype thread on this topic. I posted there. That I have seen an automated license plate retraction device that conceals the plate under the front lip and extends it out and up via motorized connection. Saw on a forum few years back. You can try googling. This may be the elegant solution.
Now if we can get this linked to my laser detector, and get it to retract really quickly, we're on to something!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I just received my "Altech Show n Go" Home - Altec Products Inc.

Remote control retractable. Ebay $109. I'll post a pic when I get it installed in a week or two.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Lightbulb

New york has some pretty tough front plate laws .Front plates are required for tag identification and the easy pass system. Also you can't have anything covering or blocking any part of the plate. You have to pay the fine and show proof you fixed it. Easy pass uses a camera and transmitter for tolls and cops use plate as laser target.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

I have my laser detector built into the front license plate frame. therefore I keep the license plate on the front all the time.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
On the GT-R forum most owners use the tow hook access hole. A back plate can be ordered to screw in the hole to mount the plate on. Good luck with the ticket.

Yeah, I've been given that "tow hook" location some thought too.
Thanks for your comment.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I used a cheap license plate holder, dishwasher hose to keep the license plate holder away from the bumper, and threaded some toggle bolts through the dishwasher tube. This way I can theoretically remove the front plate holder when it comes time to sell without any marks. It is also perfectly centered, unlike if you used the tow hook!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by liquid-chris
I just received my "Altech Show n Go" Home - Altec Products Inc.

Remote control retractable. Ebay $109. I'll post a pic when I get it installed in a week or two.

I like this idea. Will be lurking awaiting your reply......

Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

RedRider, here's an old thread you may find interesting. There are lots of ideas buried in it. Maybe you've already seen it, but thought I'd link it just in case. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-plate-59021/

Old 10-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
RedRider, here's an old thread you may find interesting. There are lots of ideas buried in it. Maybe you've already seen it, but thought I'd link it just in case. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-plate-59021/

Hi,
Yeah, I've read through many of these and did find many of the ideas helpful.
Thanks for a reminder....
I find the remote retractable plate bracket interesting. I'm going to wait for his reply.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Although I think the front end looks great without a front plate there was no way I could get away with it in NY without local harassment. When I got the car from Maine I mad sure they shipped an OEM front plate holder with it but not attached. Looking at the stock mount I wanted to have the top of the bracket flush with the top of the center bar. In order to do this you need to mount the bracket upside down and you will see the bracket contours fit against the center section. So under the center I mounted a 1" aluminum angle with 2 self tapping #8 SS screws. I put double sided foam tape on the back of the bracket and pressed it on the front center section. Where it stuck below the center section (it fully covered the aluminum) I drilled 2 holes and secured the plate holder to the aluminum. I then mounted the licence plate using anti-theft SS screws. Looks good and legal and if I ever remove it there are no holes in the front of the bumper center section.